lorin vs alpha rotary switches

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphotodude

Haven't really used rotary switches other than for impedance selectors on amplifiers...
Getting ready to order some stuff to finish my green pre's and g-ssl...

i know the lorins are enclosed so dust and junk can't get in there..
but other than that..
is it a personal preference or really worth going for the lorins in quality?
also, shorting vs non shorting....
is it really going to make a big difference on low voltage apps like these?

I like the Alphas for their ruggedness, and used them in a G1176. Check out mnats' page about incorporating the "Nuke Mode" onto the ratio switch, he uses an Alpha and provides a nice closeup view.

RE: shorting vs non shorting....

It's a good idea to adhere to the design in this department. If you think a non-shorting (BBM or Break Before Make) will work in place of a shorting (MBB or Make Before Break), you must be able to ascertain what how the circuit will behave when that connection is broken and impedance goes from a fixed value, typically 10k ohms or less, to infinite.

I tried using the Alpha switches in a GSSL and ended up spending the extra money for the Lorins. The Alpha switches don't have a selectable number of positions and they don't fit on the control board easily. I was able to get the switches to mount to the control board with a bit of work. That said I bought some Alpha switches from Futurlec for $1 that I plan to use in my Green Pre.[/img]

[quote author="jrfred453"]I tried using the Alpha switches in a GSSL and ended up spending the extra money for the Lorins. The Alpha switches don't have a selectable number of positions and they don't fit on the control board easily. I was able to get the switches to mount to the control board with a bit of work. That said I bought some Alpha switches from Futurlec for $1 that I plan to use in my Green Pre.[/img][/quote]

The double pole 6 position Alpha solder-lug rotary that I used on an EQ recently had a position-limiting stop on it, just like the Lorlins. In fact, besides the color of the plastic body, I couldn't tell the difference between it and the Lorlins.

The 2 pole 12 position open frame Alphas, on the other hand, had no stop, but they still worked well for my application.

Maybe there are different alpha rotary switches models because I used some in GSSL and I found that the switches click feeling was loose, like cheap. The lorlin clicks on the contrary, feel solid like those "open frame" metalic switches

They look like the ones I used
I don't know, maybe mine came from a bad batch...
Anyway I will stick with Lorlin for my part

Latest posts

Back