Poor man's 660

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gachet

Hi everybody,

I was looking for a diy vari mu and found the poor man's 660.
But it was to late.
Would it be possible to get a schematic now?
Maybe for money?

Thanks

:shock: :shock: :shock:
of course not

to be warned:
:twisted: if analag or me find out some of the PCB buyers will SELL the schematic, we will have some serious problems, not only here at The Lab.
and if I find some cloned PCBs there will be some major problems on top.
I'm not kidding

if you want to build one you could have bought the PCBs, ordering time was long enough :!:

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]if analag or me find out some of the PCB buyers will SELL the schematic, we will have some serious problems, not only here at The Lab[/quote]

I hope no-one is that much of a dipshit. A base ball bat department will be needed.

[quote author="okgb"]if you just want a vari mu , PRR 's one is said to be good and not too
complicated , free to all , maybe start there[/quote]

Good suggestion. Beyond that, there are schematics of a dozen vintage models posted here. Dig into the META.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=249

Seeing the responses posted above confirms I am in the right place. :thumb:

Gachet, dude, there too many good designs floating around here to be disappointed. :roll:

the original fairchild660 schematic is online. And $owter make$ replacement tran$former$ for the$e. not a poor man

http://audio.kubarth.com/fairchild/
http://www.sowter.co.uk/acatalog/SOWTER_PRO_VINTAGE_TRANSFORMERS_5.html

Thanks seavote for that interesting link.
It seems a little complicated for me but may interest some people like me who missed the train.

Personally, I've missed out on numerous things/projects/group buys on this very forum... with having a hectic family life and a job-and-a-half, etc.

Not to be a dick about it, but the phrase "That's life" comes to mind... :roll:

If you're diligent, you never know, someone may offer their's up for sale?

In the meantime, dig into the PRR. There's even a thread around here on the Altec 436.

there will certainly be people who bail on the PM660's after the circuit boards sit around for awhile.

i just realized that i (and all the others who didnt buy a pcb) will never be able to help out anyone on the pm660 - private message 660 without the schematics. so - good luck.
-max

Hi Max,

the idea to handle this project like we do now was developed here in this group, in this thread:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=26887

I can understand the fear of some people (it is not analag only) to publish their schematics or mods they have done.
we have seen too much abuse in the past.

what we - of course - don't want is a new "black market" for schematics :shock:
may be I will code them individually :roll:

[quote author="Gachet"]I'm a bit disappointed[/quote]
Why :?:
the points I don't understand:
- there has been a 5 weeks ordering time
- it is not your first post, and you have registered before the ordering started
- even if you want to pay for a schematic of a member here - have you asked him directly ? the only person who can sell this is analag himself

anyway, place your order in the ordering thread, and I will overlook the date

in principle:
the thing is, and we had a discusion about that in the past, that there´s no point in posting about such a project in the lab - since the schematics are not shared openly, but the lab is

now we have a small elite-ish group (or not so small - congrats btw!) , which bought the schematics along with the pcb, so the whole project is only interesting for the inside people, but its "grown" on a plattform which is public (the lab & the original fairchild660 schematics).
just some thoughts.

practically thinking
this situation lead to:
i got two pms asking for these schematics - i dont have them, pls dont bug me about it. that was the only reason i was chiming in. its a bit strange, but i´ll just ignore it in the future.

-max

[quote author="ioaudio"]in principle:
the thing is, and we had a discusion about that in the past, that there´s no point in posting about such a project in the lab - since the schematics are not shared openly, but the lab is[/quote]
must have missed this discussion, but it's a valid point.
mhm, the origin of this project was in the lab.
as far as I know the schematic was published there, some time ago, for a short time.
[quote author="ioaudio"]now we have a small elite-ish group (or not so small - congrats btw!) , which bought the schematics along with the pcb, so the whole project is only interesting for the inside people, but its "grown" on a plattform which is public (the lab & the original fairchild660 schematics).
just some thoughts.[/quote]
yes, the support thread is only interesting for the people actually building this unit. but isn't that also any other project related thread ?
but at the end we are talking fairchild topology.
the project didn't grow in the lab, but the demand for it did.
how to deal with this ? a "hidden" forum for this projects ?
[quote author="ioaudio"]practically thinking
this situation lead to:
i got two pms asking for these schematics - i dont have them, pls dont bug me about it. that was the only reason i was chiming in. its a bit strange, but i´ll just ignore it in the future.[/quote]
:green: :green: :green:
I know this :grin:
I get PMs, emails etc for projects or pcbs I was never involved.
"can I get an Oxford mode PCB for the GSSL, and how much ?"
ignore it

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]
[quote author="ioaudio"]
i got two pms asking for these schematics - i dont have them, pls dont bug me about it. that was the only reason i was chiming in. its a bit strange, but i´ll just ignore it in the future.[/quote]
:green: :green: :green:
I know this :grin:
I get PMs, emails etc for projects or pcbs I was never involved.
"can I get an Oxford mode PCB for the GSSL, and how much ?"
ignore it[/quote]

Same here; makes me wonder if people really can't read and organize thoughts, or if there's actually some counter-intelligence style snooping going on from manufacturers or other external interested parties. I tend to think people are really that scatter-brained; they can't read my ebay descriptions either.

[quote author="emrr"]Same here; makes me wonder if people really can't read and organize thoughts, or if there's actually some counter-intelligence style snooping going on from manufacturers or other external interested parties. I tend to think people are really that scatter-brained; they can't read my ebay descriptions either.[/quote]
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

People can't read.

People can't search this forum/the Web.

People can't do math (especially true on mailing lists: why would I spend half an hour looking for an answer when it takes the experts on this list only five minutes to answer it for me. How much time does it take in total for the 800 list members to just read your message, never mind answer a question which is in the FAQ?)

Grumble,

JDB.
[had an interesting meeting at work. Project leader (not mine) demanded to know who was going to prep the staff for a change in procedure. "You are", I reply, "as was agreed in our previous meetings; I've e-mailed you and the relevant coordinators a full walkthrough a week ago, with a reminder (including the same walkthrough) yesterday". Her response: "Do you have any idea how much e-mail I get? You can't expect me to read all of that". Fun times indeed]

[quote author="jdbakker"] Her response: "Do you have any idea how much e-mail I get? You can't expect me to read all of that". Fun times indeed][/quote]
More & more people think they can get away with that...

... "received so much email, I deleted everything... could you please send it to me once again ?"

Quickly reading a user-friendly written email takes a fraction of the time that was needed to write it, and then that's even too much for people...

grrrr

Back