Last night i saw the light..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamtamstudio

But i was not dreaming..
Now i would like to describe a sensation.
Usually, when i'm mixing a song, i make it in the box (ProTools HD).
The sound is normally correct but, when i sum a lot of tracks with high dynamic stuff (pop, rock or else), i feel a lot of squeeze (similar to compression) especially on dynamic passages (verse to chorus, etc.).
Yesterday night i was not happy on a mix of a rock song (very difficult passages, high distorted guitars explosions..), after a couple of hours I tried to create 4 stereo Bus and divide the mix to sum in a submixer included in my Control 24 of digidesign, and record in a stereo track..
The sound was explosive all dynamics intacted, totally another thing, and was not a volume/gain question, i was very happy.. i put it into my GSSL compressor (thx Jacob again) and was done..
The point now is, how can i do better?
I have to think on a summing passive mixer?
Can i create a summing box in front of GSSL compressor?
Any suggests are welcome, guys, now i'm overexcited..

I've done much mixing both in the box and sent out to analog desk.

Just before you totally dump the In the Box idea, try the subgroup approach just as you have with the two seb sends but use a plug and return in an Aux.

I am now on HD as well and am rediscovering In the Box. I spent much more time testing the system than I did with the MixPlus as I now have a greater knowledge of what the system does. NOT what it is supposed to do but what it DOES do. Not going to explain now but it has a lot to do with headroom and the fact that it doesn't always tell you when a clip takes place. This often requires using all tools at your disposal to find any clip points.

Sometimes I try to set for a -0.5 or -1.0dB threshold at each sum point just to show that I do still have the headroom. My latest project has me mastering at the master output ... wish me luck and I'll let you know how it all turns out. Last time I tried this we dumped the mixes and went again.

A far as analog mixing is concerned beware not to get too carried away. Mixing desk of quality cost and that's all there is to it. If you do go for a small format passive or light active mixer ... keep it simple and don't get carried away with faders and effect sends and solos etc. Make use of your DAW I/O to get the sends you need. A well thought out and applied patch panel may go half the distance for you. You could even set up some passive mix junction points at the patch panel.

good luck

Latest posts

Back