Backup to my server

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochey

White Market Member
Ok Wannabe network admins... here's a simple challenge, that needs a painfully simple solution that can be administered in 30 minutes without changing too much.

I have 5 systems in the home

(a) Windows 2003 Server (Main Fileserver)
(b) Windows XP Desktop Machine
(c) Windows XP "Audio PC"
(d) Windows Vista Notebook computer. (GF's Work)
(e) Windows XP Notebook - (My Work)

I want to set up the systems to incrementally back up certain directories from each machine to the PC. (e.g. like "my documents" etc)

I am not running a "domain" in any way, there is no active directory.

So -- please.. something
-quick (so I can spend my precious time doing something else)
-easy (see above)
-reliable (i don't want to be traveling and get a phone call saying "the computers doing something weird!!! this is your fault!")

:)

Cheers

/R

Sorry for not a complete solution help but I worked as network assistant in some companies and the network topology was always like:
All my documents directories from workstations are physically in the files server and are remotely mounted in each workstation when the users log in, this way you don't have to reach remotely all the workstations to do backup, you just do the backup from the files server. The drawback is that the workstations have to connect to the file server to use the my documents dirs.

Keefaz,

perfect world :)

i don't have a fast enough network for that, and the systems aren't always connected (e.g. the notebook pc's are at work during the day)

but, thanks for your suggestion!

/Dafydd

http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp

Basically, it's a Windows wrapper around a nifty Unix utility called rsync. It will do the requisite incremental backup, although I don't know how it will handle the laptops when they're on the road (probably just throw an error or two). I use the Linux version to keep my home and work development systems synchronized, and it works a treat.

Back