Free stuff

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

So I get a phone call from a local engineer saying the studio he is working for is finally closing down. Well, not completely. The owner of the studios property decided that he could make more money leasing the space to a restaurant and not a recording studio. Anyway there is a pile of gear in the tech shop and was wondering if I wanted any of it. I ask whats wrong with it? He goes I dunno the stuff is old and in the bad pile. I figured why not go see and if anything I can use the chassis for DIY builds.

Well I picked the whole pile.

3 spx90II
1 Klark Teknik DN780 reverb
2 Aphex 661
1 roland SRV200 reverb
1 Zsus 8X8 AES patchbay
1 SPL Loudness Maximizer Digital outboard gear

I get back to the shop to see if any of the gear powers up. Most of it does.
The only thing not powering up are 2 of the SPX 90 and the roland reverb. The rest of the gear powers up without issue. Now to do audio testing tomorrow.

Apparently it is a common problem for spx 90's to have leaky psu caps
and many flaky voltage problems are cured with that fix [ replacing ]

Always good to hear someone winning one , once in a while

[quote author="bitman"]That's awesome Puch.

Have a ball.

:thumb:[/quote]

thanks. I will. Fixing PSU's is fairly straight forward so should be easy if I can get the parts I need. Caps and Diodes usually. :thumb:

I have TWO broken DN780's here owned by two different clients, I'm looking for a donor machine to purchase to make both work, since neither client is willing to offer their machine as a sacrifice to repair the OTHER client's machine...

So I'd definitely be willing to buy that, which might give you some funds to do some good work on the others...

Keith

In my best doctor evil voice I want "1 million dollars"

Actually I wanted to keep the dn780. I am willint to part with the SPx's and SRV 2000 which are in need of PSU fixes

DN780 CAGE FIGHT!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :mad: :razz: :shock: :green: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :guinness: :sam:

[quote author="emrr"]DN780 CAGE FIGHT!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :mad: :razz: :shock: :green: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :guinness: :sam:[/quote]

...Two men go in... only ONE comes out... with the DN780!!!

;)

Well, let me know if you ever give up on it, Pucho... I'm sure my clients will still be keen!

Keith

Yeah, the broken DN780 is a fixture in many shops! The problem is that they all have the same broken chipset that is now unobtanium. I jettisoned a few for repair credits on other equipment.
The AMS R/DMX boxes are the next broken faves in shops(the shops that still exist). Never enough time/$$ to re-solder every joint and re-make every ribbon jumper. . .
Enjoy!
Mike

Latest posts

Back