My new mic modification article in SOUND & RECORDING

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossi

Announcing the third installment of my "Pimp My Mike" series:

In this months' issue of Sound & Recording Magazine, Germany, there is an 8-page article on modding Oktava MK-219 and MK-319 microphones.

Oktava_Preview.jpg

My article deals with easy ways of removing body resonances (using a special kind of kitchen tissue among other things), upgrading some electronic components, and replacing the low cut and pad switches with a different circuit that does not compromise the sound quality (the latter is only possible for the MK-319). There's also some info on the pros and cons of removing the HF-Disks in front of the capsule.

My article differs from Scott Dorsey's recommendations, in part due to the fact that the manufactuing quality has improved in recent years. It also differs from Michael Joly's findings. Although, of course, there is some common ground with both (removing the grill from the 219-body, for instance). In other words, this article is my own take on the topic and is not meant to replace Scott Dorsey's or keep you from getting your mic modified by Michael Joly.

Among other interesting stuff from other authors, the mag also includes three reviews and two translations from my provervial pen.

If you can't find the mag at your local newsstand or live outside the German-speaking world, you can order it via the website www.soundandrecording.de. The article will also be available as a paid download in a few months.

Thanks! :grin: I usually do the artwork myself.

Here's two pics from a previous episode on ribbon mic modification.
The little chap fighting the big bad noise monster (and succeeding):
pimpweb2.jpg

pimpweb3.jpg

Nope, this is German only (unless an English language mag sends me a bag of money).

[quote author="Rossi"]

replacing the low cut and pad switches with a different circuit that does not compromise the sound quality (the latter is only possible for the MK-319).
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, what solution did you chose for that one?

Best, M

The "new" pad is realized via voltage devider to reduce the polarization voltage, the "new" low cut switch simply reduces the cap value in front of the transformer. Both solutions were chosen to move the switches (and a whole lot of wiring) out of the high impedance section.

[quote author="Rossi"]The "new" pad is realized via voltage devider to reduce the polarization voltage, the "new" low cut switch simply reduces the cap value in front of the transformer. Both solutions were chosen to move the switches (and a whole lot of wiring) out of the high impedance section.[/quote]

That's what I thought. I actually recommended the same on gearslutz some time ago. Did you see that post:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/170965-oktava-mk-319-switch-mod.html

No, I didn't know your post. In my limited experience, Gearsluz is unreliable blah blah for the most part, so I prefer to stay away. But in fact my solutions are similar to your suggestions. Which probably goes to show that they're more or less obvious solutions to the problem at hand, at least to anyone who is seriously into microphones. My pad switch is slightly more elaborate in order to avoid pops.

Hello Rossi,
after 12 years you article is still useful and going strong.

I have 2 MK-219 microphones that I'm modding and just read your article and its a great help.

Your solution for the PAD and HP circuits is really clever. I just need to find a way of doing that mod in the MK-219. In the Mk-319 is quite easy, not so much on the MK-219 but I might find a way of doing it.
Thank you so much

for someone that is interested in reading the article here it is , I used chrome translator to translate it from German to English:

https://www.soundandrecording.de/tutorials/mikrofone-modifiziert-oktava-mk-219mk-319/

living sounds said:
How good can you get these mics to sound (with the stock capsule)?

The stock capsule is quite nice and unique. Actually no problems in this mic are related to the capsule.

You can get this microphones to sound pretty good.
It’s also a particular thing, it has its own vibe.

It’s not a Neumann but neither it is a Sibilant Chinese wannabe something.

I like it

Im a fan of the MKL2500 a long time , works great as a vocal and acoustic guitar on one track mic Ive found.
I found it suprisingly neutral ,maybe unflattering  might be another way to describe it , what comes through it seems to sit nicely in the mix with minimal eq'ing . I had always been wondering about the HF reflector which is also found on the 25 hundred.

Would be nice to see your article translated ,  a simple computer based translation I doubt would catch the subtleties though , theres a natural economy with words in German where in English you could say the same thing ten different ways .

Tubetec said:
Would be nice to see your article translated ,  a simple computer based translation I doubt would catch the subtleties though , theres a natural economy with words in German where in English you could say the same thing ten different ways .

Google translate does an amazing job translating the article. As far as I'm concerned I understood all the subtleties. I have it installed as an ad-on to the browser, it's as simple as clicking 1 button.
I'm quite shocked in a positive way on how good the translator engine is at the present. Maybe it does't work that well between other languages but at least the translations from German, Italian and French to English are quite good.

I'll maybe have a cut off a translation tomorrow then , Ive heard the computer gets you maybe 90% there ,but in the end you still need someone with a good grasp of the translated text to tidy it up for general consumption.

Tubetec said:
I'll maybe have a cut off a translation tomorrow then , Ive heard the computer gets you maybe 90% there ,but in the end you still need someone with a good grasp of the translated text to tidy it up for general consumption.

It's enough for our needs in this article.
best regards

Latest posts

Back