MXR Auto Flanger diagam needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bo

Thanks. I got this flanger powered it up & all was OK for about 2 minutes & then smoke.

The smell was a Tantalum type smell. I think it is the cap next to the 5v reg since it's coating has gone sort of dull & the plastic case on the 78L05 ( I think) reg is melted a bit in the shape of the cap. On checking the cap it doesn't appear short. I want to swap the cap out first out but don't know the value or rating. If you could give me thjose details that would be a big help at first. Unless you are suspectig the problem is elsewhere.

I suspect it would be good to swap all the tants since they are all old.

Thanks

Thanks Bo.

I managed to get this working. I removed the cap & I replaced it with a 100u 40v electrolytic, because it was across the input to the reg & I'm supplying it with 24v. It seems to work now, but I would be interested to know what the value on the diagram is ?

Rob,

Sorry for the delay.

I think this "78L12" capacitor you talk about is C-31, 15uF 25volt (connected from regulator output to ground)

There are also a other tantal 15uF 25volt, C-33 from the output on IC U-6b (+UB/bias divider) connected from U-6b output to ground, that you also can change to a new one.

Hope this will helo you.

--Bo

Hi Bo, I was wondering if in these years you had the time to scan those schematics. I've been to your site but they don't seem to be there. The Internet apparently has a lot of mxr flanger schematics but usually those are guitar pedals, and I could not seem to find the auto flanger rack module schem (or the one for the phaser as well).

Thanks!

Spino

Bo Hansen said:
Rob,

Sorry for the delay.

I think this "78L12" capacitor you talk about is C-31, 15uF 25volt (connected from regulator output to ground)

There are also a other tantal 15uF 25volt, C-33 from the output on IC U-6b (+UB/bias divider) connected from U-6b output to ground, that you also can change to a new one.

Hope this will helo you.

--Bo

re-bump

aion fx has expressed interest in doing the mxr auto phase and auto flange boards

got the auto phaser shemo, anybody have the auto flanger? thanks!

If someone decides to clone the Auto Flanger, there are some issues with the original design:

Input Impedance is quite low
The noise level is high
There is no feedback

All of these shortcomings can be worked around with the right console setup. But not easy for those who don’t have a console.

Another shortcoming is that the BBD chip used is only capable of a shorter than desired delay line.

Attachments

• 116C8BE3-BE1E-4E82-9680-6D4A80056048.jpeg
    116C8BE3-BE1E-4E82-9680-6D4A80056048.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Holy you know what! Christmas is early. Thanks!

That Aion guy is pretty good on the mods but I will pass that along. I think the phaser could fit in a stomp box if 5532's we're used.

I found the MXR rack flanger a lot better sounding than the small modules. It would be interesting to have a clone pcb with a MN3007 retrofit in place of the rare SAD1024

Latest posts

Back