home cutting vinyl...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing is P.O.S. It's so bad they couldn't even make the specs look good. If you want to cut lacquers get a real lathe. You could pick up a Scully/Westrex for that much.

Sometimes I think I should get a lathe. But that would be a lifetime project and business-wise a very unwise move. :grin: But man, I would enjoy that (after burning my first 15 cutting heads).

[quote author="Viitalahde"]But that would be a lifetime project and business-wise a very unwise move. :grin: But man, I would enjoy that (after burning my first 15 cutting heads).[/quote]

That sums it up except I haven't blown a cutterhead. After being at it for eight years I feel like I have hit my stride. It was rough because at the beginning I had no money. Mistakes are costly. I didn't have the experience to know what was okay and what needed to be recut. So I wouldn't let anything go out unless I was sure it was okay.

I made no money and spent a lot of time. The lathe also wasn't rock solid. Now the ship is tight and I have enough work that I'm constantly cutting. There is a lot of sense memory involved in the machine operation. If you don't do it all the time it's much easier to make mistakes and blow parts. Now if i don't like a cut I just recut it without having to think about not eating dinner.

That isn't the only 'semi-pro' (sic) lathe you can get. I've seen bumph for 2 others that bolt onto a DD turntable.

As for the Vestax unit, it's been around since the turn of the decade. They couldn't release it because it wouldn't cut better than mono, with HF shelving at 8k... They had better lathes than that in the '40s!! I believe it now cuts stereo, but only up to 8k.

BTW - apparently, the great Bernie Grundman uses a Scully lathe. I was told by a top lathe engineer that some people drive a Scully with a Technics SP10 turntable - that would potentially be cheaper than the Vestax and a lot better.

J

Latest posts

Back