Patchbays and connectors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlarcombe

This is a fairly dull question.

What type of jack plugs are people generally using for wiring their non-XLR gear to their patchbay, and what are the drawbacks of different brands?

I've used Neutrik for small jobs in the past, and have no complaints with them other than the fairly high (UK) cost. I'm shortly going to be installing patchbays in my studio and palled somewhat at the cost of ~80 Neutrik jacks. For connections that aren't going to be disturbed often, is there a significant detriment to using cheaper, presumably-lower-quality jacks?

A possibly related question - why are the Neutrik patchbays with jack sockets front and back so much cheaper in the UK than patchbays by competing companies with hard-wired rear connections? £34 for the Neutrik 48-way patchbay at Studiospares, as opposed to £58 for the rear-soldered own-brand patchbay or £87 for the Signex. Doesn't make any sense to me, unless Neutrik want to sell more plugs!

cheers,
James.

A patchbay is on my list of many things to do...
I have stocked up big time on neutrik connectors from the surplus stores (mainline has them for a £1 a socket) and ebay....

I plan to use B gauge GPO sockets on the front panel

Interesting; I couldn't find any Neutrik jacks on Mainline, only XLRs. Perhaps you've cleaned them out!

cheers,
James.

For connections that aren't going to be disturbed you don't need any patch cables if you normalize the connections.
You still need connections to your gear though.
I came across a pretty comprehensive guide in SoundOnSound's web site some months back.
check that out...it shows you all the wiring etc.
sleeper

its early and I think i misread your post a bit.
anyways
If you aren't moving your plugs too much neutrik makes some little silver 1/4 inch plugs that are cheaper than the ones with the big strain reliefs. they still have good quality insulators etc.

If you know how to solder you win with a solder connector, the reason they are more expensive is because they are much higher quality, the trs to trs bays have a little pcb and cheapo little jacks. look on e8bay, a good mil Bgauge won't cost that much and those jacks will last and last and last.

Sleeper

Yes, I was talking about connections to the gear. Patch cables are more frequently plugged and unplugged and would therefore seem worthy of higher-quality connectors. I pretty much know how it's all put together, I was just wondering about the raw materials.

Wasn't someone on here wiring a patchbay recently?

J

[quote author="jlarcombe"]

Wasn't someone on here wiring a patchbay recently?

J[/quote]
Paging Mr Burnley I do believe

Sorry I misread you too...
I am putting XLRs all over the back of the patchbay - as the only equipment I will be connecting is stuff I have built myself
all my other studio stuff is consigned to the garage (fresh start needed)

Back