Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering, has anyone ever made a 2U dual unit with these original sized knobs and the 4-switch? (only two way switch really needed for the meter in my opinion)

I was thinking that they would fit just fine with smaller VU meters.

Any thoughts?

It would certainly be a tight fit. I think ultimately it would be very hard to use the large knobs and still have a panel with full printed scales (that didn't look very crowded).

I may be missing a layout option though.

One option that could be explored is using Purusha's dual case located here:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=267421

His panel is made for a 1" skirt large knob. The originals are a little under 1.75" (skirt size).

If there is enough interest I could certainly stock smaller scale 1" skirt original knobs that would fit the Purusha panels. Even if there is minimal interest I could simply add a small order of smaller scaled knobs onto my next regular order.

If you wanted to add switch banks I don't see that as much of an issue as they are fairly thin.

Mike

I'm in the small skirt camp....
....That didn't sound good, oh well.
I have a Tat case, so I am out unless someone has small skirts...

[quote author="Echo North"]It would certainly be a tight fit. I think ultimately it would be very hard to use the large knobs and still have a panel with full printed scales (that didn't look very crowded).[/quote]

You posted a site with lots of front panel designer templates on this thread. I'll experiment with those and see if it's possible to come up with a dual model with original knobs. The 1.75 skirted knob is just really comfortable to use so I think it's worth trying.

I tried a layout with dual VUs and these original sized knobs, but failed. Then it dawned on me, why use two small VUs when you can have one much more accurate big one, just shared with the two units!

Here she is, and I think it looks (and will work) great. It's a work in progress front panel designer layout and I just pasted the original knob images on top.

Bypass is that "off" on the attack knob (I'll change the text later), so I can have dual bypass with no extra layout estate. Power on/off is useless on the front panel in my opinion so it goes on the back next to the PSU. The VU switching in the middle should be a trivial mod.

2-1176LN.png

2-1176LNsymmetric.png

I think the symmetric one looks even better.

I'm definitely getting a stereo set of the original knobs with the switches right now! :grin:

Thanks Echo North for making this possible.

Got my stuff today !
Mike.... THANK YOU !
You're doing a great service for the DIY community !

Excellent!

I have a new instruction sheet I'm mailing with PCB's and switches now. If you previously ordered switches and want a guide on wiring your unit to add the GR disable on the attack knob or altering your meter PCB to add the GR disable just send me an email and I'll send it to you.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Mike

Got my stuff today. Thanks, great service you're providing. :grin: Only thing is I missed out on PCB's from mnats :oops: because computer was acting up. Just have to wait till next run. :sad: I have everything just sitting waiting...

Excellent!

I have a shipment of small knobs arriving tomorrow. I'm expecting the large knobs next Friday. Finally everything will be in stock!

Mike

Just an update on stock.

Small knobs arrived today. Everything is in stock except for large knobs and they are arriving this Friday (the rev D kit is also listed as on back order waiting for these large knobs as well).

Orders with Large knobs will ship Saturday.

Working on adding more styles knobs that people have been searching for.

Thanks,

Mike

Got them all today. Thanks a lot!

(customs taxed me for 15eur VAT. I totally forgot global customs laws haven't been updated since the dark ages. :mad: )

Hi Mike !

Got the stuff yesterday, great ! I bought an 1176 faceplate, about a year and a half ago. It was quite a search to get the right interlocking switchbanks, but yours were the ones I needed !!!! They fit perfectly.

Now the time has come to build the compressor itself..... :oops:

Hey Mike,
Thanks for doing this. :thumb:

Are you saying it's OK to place an order before the Large knobs are in stock?

Also, if your looking for more cool stuff (Knobs) to stock...
API style knobs would be KILLER (1/4 inch shaft)

I found a company that sells Aluminum knobs that look to be almost identical to the API's but you had to buy in BULK. :sad:

I can't find the link to the site (or the name) right now but if your interested I'll keep trying to dig it up... maybe someone else knows.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back