Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kevin,

Great find on those knobs!  I'll send them an email and get some pricing.

I'm looking at neve style and LA-2A style knobs as well.  Davis Molding has a nice LA-2A reissue style knobs but I'd like to find something more like the original.  I'll also be stocking LA-3A knobs soon (which is just a smaller version of the 1176 large knob).

You can order anytime.  Large knobs are arriving tomorrow (according to UPS) so I'll have everything in stock tomorrow (friday)!

Thanks,

Mike

Are you looking at the mic pre gain knob?  Do you know what the dimensions of the original are?

I'm guessing it's the 3-75 or 3-62?

Mike

I think it's more about the look & style than what they actually used.

You can buy knobs from API but they don't carry the ones that us DIYers could use... like 1/4 inch shafts.
They DO have 1/4 in shafts but ONLY for their EQ's... the problem is the ones they have are large & are designed to have "Smaller" knobs on top of them (Stacked). Hope that makes sense.

I "Think" they use smaller shaft sizes for their 4 channel 512 pre... but that would be the "Look" I think we're after, just with 1/4 shafts (which I'd bet most of us use & can get easily)

For those of use who have 4ch in 1 space racks or like me, that has 8 channels (Vertical) in a 2 space rack... the knobs can't be too big.
It's the LOOK of them that are cool.

IIRC, you can get different color circle inlays for the tops of them... I like the API "Blue" myself. :wink:

They sell Black & Plain Anodized.
I think Plain Anodized is what were after.

I could check sizes more for you if you want.
Or maybe start a few "Feeler" threads, to see what others would be interested in.

I hear you on the look.

The 3-00 series seems to all come in 1/4 shafts. I have a friend getting me the dimensions on the originals for reference...then I'll probably post looking for opinions if it would be better to order a more "DIY useful" size.

They do offer blue inserts!

Great stuff!

Mike

You may want to ask a moderator to set this up as a sticky so it doesn't get lost to the BM graveyard.

I'll ask for a sticky :)

No response on the knobs.  I'll email them again today and try calling if I don't hear back by Friday.

On a side note, I should have Ed Anderson 1176 input/output transformers up for sale late next week.

Thanks,

Mike

[quote author="Echo North"]One option that could be explored is using Purusha's dual case located here:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=267421

His panel is made for a 1" skirt large knob. The originals are a little under 1.75" (skirt size).

If there is enough interest I could certainly stock smaller scale 1" skirt original knobs that would fit the Purusha panels. Even if there is minimal interest I could simply add a small order of smaller scaled knobs onto my next regular order.[/quote]

I would be up for a set like this, I am currently building a Dual1176 in a Purusha case.. I looked at your large knobs but decided not to use them because even though the skirt is transparent, it would just look weird if it overlapped the labelling.

[quote author="Kingston"]I tried a layout with dual VUs and these original sized knobs, but failed. Then it dawned on me, why use two small VUs when you can have one much more accurate big one, just shared with the two units!

(img removed)
(img removed)

[/quote]

Those look awesome! Really like the second one.

I'm in the process of working on ordering LA-3A knobs. They are smaller versions of the 1176 skirted knob (about 1").

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi All,

I'm up here in the stickies now, thanks mods!.

A couple of updates...

Ed Anderson's 1176 Input and Output transformers will be up for sale later this week.  $30 Each!!!!

I'm looking at ordering LA3A knobs (smaller 1176 skirted knobs) if you are interested please post.  I'm looking to gauge interest, you are not committing.

I've been measuring/studying 500 style knobs this weekend.  I'll get some pricing and size info.  I probably won't be able to carry every size or color just yet....I'll get the info and present you with the options.  Give me a week or so on this.

All other stock is pretty healthy.  I currently have 4 sets of 1176 pushbuttons but I have a new batch arriving on Thursday.

Thanks again for the support guys!

Mike

hi.

just bought from you!! order 36!!

2 x FET Compressor Large Knob
2 x FET Compressor Small Knob
2 x Inter-Locking Switch Bank Assembly
1 x Meter Circuit Board
1 x Ratio Circuit Board

Cheers!
Cedric.

Just an update on the API knobs.

I should have some prices tomorrow....I'll probably start a new thread for the size/color discussion.

Thanks,

Mike

[quote author="Echo North"]Just an update on the API knobs.

I should have some prices tomorrow....I'll probably start a new thread for the size/color discussion.

Thanks,

Mike[/quote]

My vote is for:

"Clear" Aluminum
Blue "top" Insert
1/4 in shaft

Outside Diameter would be great if they were on the smaller size... like the API 4 channel Pre.

Approximately 3/4 in or less.

api-512c%20preamps.jpg

212L.jpg

The studio where my friend works has a few knobs kicking around and went and measured them this weekend.

I think the ones you're referring to Kevin were 14.5mm/0.570" from short pointer tip to short pointer tip.

The manufacturer offers a 0.563" which seems to be the match.  They also offer a 0.703" if people would prefer those.

Either way it'll definitely be a 1/4" bushing, natural anodized w/ blue insert.

I'll keep you posted!

Mike

Back