Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey...
you're quite reactive...order already shipped!!!

damm, that's pro dude!!!

thanks a lot.

I could be interested by those Api knobs....and some la2a knob too!
oh, question!
I saw a pm-1000 parts menu on your website.
maybe some output tamura?I could be interested if they're not to expensive!

cheers.
Jr.

Thanks!

My goal is to keep it as professional as possible.

I have a friends PM-1000 parts I was going to sell for him. In and output transformers, VU's...few other small parts. I need to figure out a fair price and get those up.

Hopefully I'll pin down the API people today.

Ed Anderson's 1176 Input and Output transformers are arriving tomorrow!

Thanks,

Mike

Still working on the 500 series knobs.  They are no longer carrying blue inserts...they're seeing how many they have left.

Mike

Ed Anderson transformers are in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZUTleBwiiw

They're up for sale on the site now.

Hairballaudio.com/shop

For consistency sake, please use this thread for ordering questions,and Ed's original thread for technical questions.

Thanks!

Mike

First of all, thanks for the parts Mike. Very professional service.
I'm using the switches etc. to service my black-face 1176 which is a rev.A unit I aquired in the 80's.

I'm curious as to why the input attenuators you are selling are triple-deck?
The input pot in my unit is a 2-deck attenuator made by AB.
I think I've got the schematics of every revision of the 1176 up until the 5532 input scheme and they all show a dual-gang pot.
Just interested.

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Excellent question! I'll do my best to answer with my modest technical knowledge.

The original was a "Bridged" T-pad using a 2-deck pot. Current UA reproductions use a pot made by PEC. They sent me one a while back and they are less then desirable. Very hard to turn and according to some members somewhat unreliable.

The part I sell is a custom part designed by Purple Audio. It's a 3 deck (non bridge) T-pad. It is functionally identical to the original part. I believe the third pot is added to achieve the function of the bridge on the 2 deck design.

Here is an explanation from Andrew at Purple:
"The input attenuator is a custom 3 deck pot, configured as T-pad. It is a functional equivalent to the bridging T-pad found in the original revisions A-F 1176 and the MC76. Unfortunately, the company that made the bridging T-pad, which was a 2 deck pot with two fixed resistors, is no longer able to get the unusual taper resistive elements that were needed for the part. The 3 deck non-bridging version is electrically equivalent, but more expensive due to the extra deck required. The action on the three deck pot is also much smoother than the original."
http://www.purpleaudio.com/Product/MC77part.html

Hopefully that answers your question.

Thanks,

Mike

Anyone from around Austria/Europe wants to split order? Shipping is fairly expensive from the us for a pair of trannies.

thanks!
Christoph

Hi Mike!

just a question about the attenuator!

I have the "G1176" Revision F/G from Mnats, from the Bom I have no attenuator listed...it's optional for this rev?
or just useless with oep input trafo??

cheers.
Jr.

I 'm not sure about the OEP as it is a different transformer then the UTC O-12.

It *should* be possible to use a UTC O-12 and an attenuator on the J boards, however it would require modifications to the wiring and a little schematic reading.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but it's a very good one. It is a little beyond what I currently know about the OEP's and J boards.

I would love to see a discussion about adding an attenuator to the J boards, perhaps we should start one in the lab? I think it's very possible and would love to hear the results!

Mike

Edit: Spelling

yep!!!

ok so these transformers are for rev D only...but maybe "usable" on the rev J!!! :cool:

I think I will go straight with Oep for this one, I've got another 1176 pcb so...maybe if you'll make another batch of trannies later...I will be in.

thanks again Mike...

Update for Kevin...

Still working on 500 style knobs...they are very very very slow.

I'll call them Wednesday.  I'm trying not to call them everyday  :wink:

Should be sorted out soon.

Mike

[quote author="diyfanatic"]Hi Mike!

just a question about the attenuator!

I have the "G1176" Revision F/G from Mnats, from the Bom I have no attenuator listed...it's optional for this rev?
or just useless with oep input trafo??

cheers.
Jr.[/quote]

the input attenuator can work with any 1176 build. put it BEFORE the input transformer, as shown on the rev D schematic, and skip the "input" pot between the input transformer and the gain reduction FET.

some input transformers may not be happy with the attenuator. all of the urei 1176s with an input transformer use an input attenuator before the transformer. gyraf and mnats skipped this part (and urei eventually eliminated it from their design) because it is relatively expensive.

ed

thanks Ed

gyraf and mnats skipped this part (and urei eventually eliminated it from their design) because it is relatively expensive.

that's why I wanted to know if it's "optional"...we're saving money with diy but spending a lot :cool: ...but it' so good.

thanks guys!
Jr.

For anyone who missed it...

Ed Anderson and Mako have organized a wonderful fundraiser for the board. Two 1176 Rev. A semi-kits are up for auction on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250318004747
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250318003468

Here's a way to give back to the forum AND get a really cool package before it's officially released.

Thanks for everything guys!

Mike

[quote author="Echo North"]Update for Kevin...

Still working on API...they are very very very slow.

I'll call them Wednesday. I'm trying not to call them everyday :wink:

Should be sorted out soon.

Mike[/quote]

:green:

These guys are brutal. They promised me an answer today....I'll give them a call shortly.

Although I suppose if I was looking for 10,000 knobs they would get back to me a little faster. :wink:

Mike

Great!

I like to think my shipments could survive anything the USPS can throw at them  ;)

Don't forget I still have transformers in stock!  Get em' while they last!

(awe man I sound like a bad infomercial.  Shammmmmwooooow!)

-Mike

Just wanted to post what Ed Anderson said in his original post about the Transformers... regarding using them in other 1176 projects! ;

the rev D version (one of the earlier, class A 1176) has a very special output transformer with multiple feedback windings and a gapped core.  you could hook this transformer up to a gyraf 1176 or a mnats version J (both similar to the later class AB 1176) and leave the feedback windings disconnected.  but there are many other output transformers that would also work for the g1176 or mnats version J.  if you want to make the rev D version that mnats is offering PCBs for soon, you will need the special output transformer.

ed

Latest posts

Back