Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I got my package yesterday, just wanna thank you for selling these awesome products!! Soon i will have 2 babies waiting for a house to live in. Any news about the cases?? Im really curious ;D

Thanks again

Martin

Hey,

The cases are in progress.

Metal work of this nature takes time.  I'll know more in about 3 weeks when I am scheduled to receive my prototypes from that manufacturer.  If all goes well I should have them in 2 months.  If that prototypes are a disaster there will be a delay.

Thanks guys,

Mike

Hi Mike,
Got my kit in the mail, all I can say is first class!!
Thanks ;D
Dave

Hi Guys,

I hate these posts, but unfortunately I have to announce some price increases.

Power Transformers
The power transformer I previously stocked simply just has too long of a lead time between orders.  I've decided to stock the Avel Lindberg 25V/30VA toroid for now.  These are a lot easier to get but they do cost more.  I've increased the price from $20 to $25 to reflect my rising cost.  Keep in mind this is still a great price for a part of this quality and it's about what Avel charges for one direct.  I'm continuing to work to find a cheaper but still good quality alternative.  This price change is also reflected in the A/D and F/G kit price.

Matched FETs
When I originally priced these at $3.50 for a pair, as was completely unaware of the work involved in properly matching FETs.  Although the FETs themselves are inexpensive, there is a huge time commitment in matching FETs.  I've raised the price to $10 for a matched pair.  Although it may seem high, I can guarantee that if you were to sit and watch me match these things you would say it's a bargain!  ;)

I've also added a stereo matched set for $20.  Read about them here:
http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=48

Even though you get a matched pair of FETs in the kits I have not increased the price of the kits for the FET increase.  When you buy a kit you are basically getting the FETs for free.  If you buy 2 kits, just let me know you would like a stereo pair of FETs and I will include them at no extra cost.

I hope you all understand that these increases are required so I can continue to offer these products.

Thanks again for everything guys and I appreciate all you have done to help make this shop happen.

Mike
Hairball Audio

Mike just wanted to let you know that i finally installed the matched FET's.
I was having troubles with my 1176 not working when Nuke/Slam mod switched...as soon as i installed the FET's it worked.
Really nice!!
On another hand i tried them on a pair of Fetboys and they work like a charm really quiet and everything gets cooler now!

Thanks for your services....

PS:
Code:
Did you raised the price for the fets???
Take care bro!!

Awesome news!

The only I sell right now are the matched 2N5457's and yes I had to raise the price. Ultimately I had to figure out how many I can match in 1 hour then figure out what that time is worth and come up with a price. I do them carefully and I get very few matched in an hour so I realized $3.50 just wasn't worth it.

If people want to save the $ there are many FET matching jigs out there and they all seem to work well (I tried lots of them).

You do get FETs in the kit.

Thanks,

Mike

Buying Fets with the right specs and matched is so very much worth it!!!

I spent over $100 for transistors that weren't up to specs for the 1176 and Hairball here saved the day with his matching capabilities. I can't bare to imagine how much more money I would have had to spend for matched fets. Definitely money well spent and his service and customer support is excellent!

Hey Mike,
I just ordered some fets, output trannies etc for my dual 1176. Look forward to their arrival...

The stereo matched Fets look like a great idea...

;D

cheers,
Mac.

Hi Mike

Just ordered 2 x VU meters. Need them delivered to Seattle by Thursday (pm latest) if possible as I have someone who can bring them back for me
Should be order and details in your inbox

cheers
john

Brolik said:
yo Mike,

Any good news on those prototype cases? can't wait to put together a hairba1176 rev. D  ;D

Yo,

Still working away on it.  The first prototype was promising but needs some work.  I'm working on the second round of prototypes now.  So still a few months away.

Sorry for the delay.  I am learning that metal work of this nature is a very slow process.

Mike

Yo Mike,

How goes things? Haven't heard from you in a little while. Everything OK out West?? Any possible updates on your cases?

Best, Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Busy busy out here in the lonesome crowded west.  I just had a crazy summer of 16 hour work days, buying my first house and moving.  All is settled now.  I was able to get all of my shipments out on time and keep the current stock up but have had little time for much else.  I'm back on betting some new stuff moving...

Updates!
Enclosures: The prototypes from China were good in some ways and bad in other ways.  The main issue is the frontpanel quality.  I think I am moving forward with having the frontpanel made in the USA and the enclosure done overseas.  This will allow me to order extra frontpanels for those who don't want a full enclosure.  I'm continuing to work on this but I have learned (as we all have lately) metal work moves at a snails pace.  I'll keep everyone posted.

"N" type micpre transformers:  In the works and still on schedule.  Again I'll keep you posted.

I also have a few other surprises in the works.  Fall will be exciting at the Hairball Audio!

Hope all is well Jeff and congrats on the assembled units!  They look frigging amazing!

Mike

I'd be interested in seeing them as well Mike :)  Also, do you plan on selling any 3707's with a high enough HFE?  My blue stripe meter circuit still isn't working like it should.  I'm using 3708's

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay, I'm in the process of moving (almost done!). 

I still have my prototypes at the old place.  Give me a few days and 'll share a few images.  Metal work is brutally slow.  I hope to have something definitive hammered out asap. 

Mike

hi Mike!

since I get unlunky in the 1176 thread so I thought you could help me...

I use the bank switch and configured the meter board as follow: GR/+8/+4/OFF
I realised that my 25k attack pot as no switch for GR disabling and I can't find one in France for a decent price...

no issue using a normal pot and a SPDT switch instead?
or maybe connecting GRN --->22, no disabling but it should work while I'll finally found a good pot? (maybe the better solution since a new hole in my front pannel make me sick)

can you confirm that:
there's two x pads on the metering board (Hairball) if I understand well I just need to wire the first to the board an the second to the first, is that right?

cheers.
Jr.

[quote author=diyfanatic]
hi Mike!
[/quote]

Hi.

since I get unlunky in the 1176 thread so I thought you could help me...

I use the bank switch and configured the meter board as follow: GR/+8/+4/OFF
I realised that my 25k attack pot as no switch for GR disabling and I can't find one in France for a decent price...
no issue using a normal pot and a SPDT switch instead?
[/quote]
That would be fine.

or maybe connecting GRN --->22, no disabling but it should work while I'll finally found a good pot? (maybe the better solution since a new hole in my front pannel make me sick)
[/quote]
Should work too.

can you confirm that:
there's two x pads on the metering board (Hairball) if I understand well I just need to wire the first to the board an the second to the first, is that right?
[/quote]

The 1st version had two X pads.  You needed to link them as you describe.

Later versions only have one X pad.

Thanks,

Mike

PS.  News on cases coming soon...by the end of the weekend.

Latest posts

Back