Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

LA3A/5A small skirted knobs are in stock:

http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=49

Thanks!

Mike

quick question-
the FDH333s that came in my hairball kit each have 3 legs, but on mnats revf/g board CR3 and CR4 only have 2 holes, how do i go about mounting the FETs on the board?

beaversaber said:
quick question-
the FDH333s that came in my hairball kit each have 3 legs, but on mnats revf/g board CR3 and CR4 only have 2 holes, how do i go about mounting the FETs on the board?

I don't want to speak for Mike, but the FETs he has in his kits are the 2N5457 for Q1 and Q11

Brandon

Has anyone tried the Hairball B11148 on an LA3A output?
Was building my Rev G's and just had the realization that I've seen this trannie number before!
Any reason it wouldn't work?

edit: nevermind...just found the answer at the hairball website.  Need to read before I post! :p

Hi All,

I received some more enclosure prototypes today and I'm quite pleased.  These enclosures are made in the USA and are very high quality.

Here is the latest version.  Please ignore the bulky silver assembly screws, that was the best I could do with what I had around the house.  Enclosures will ship with proper black hardware.

click thumbnail for larger images

It's a 9" black powder coated enclosure with anodized aluminum silkscreened frontpanel.

Close up of the meter and pushbuttons.

Here's where all the cool stuff is (top and bottom removed).  The PCB rail mounting rails have been reinforced and are more rigid. There are mounting holes and slotted mounting holes on the rail and side panel to allow for mounting all the common 1176 PCB types.  

XLR and IEC inlet holes as well as holes for mounting 5002, B11148 and Cinemag transformers.

Here you can see the input PCB on standoffs as well as the slotted PCB rail mounting hole for accommodating multiple PCB widths.

Here is a view of an empty frontpanel.

The rear has blind threaded standoffs for easy mounting of the pushbuttons and 0 adjust pot.

Here are the brackets used for mounting.

Bracket attached to pushbuttons.   This makes for very easy and very secure pushbutton mounting!  

Bracket and pushbuttons screwed to standoff.   No modifications needed.  

I'll be reviewing these with a few others over the next two weeks before making final fine tuning adjustments.  I'll be making the production run order in 2-3 weeks and will have a deliver date.  I expect I should have these in stock by December 1st.  I will most likely offer some of these prototypes for sale in the next couple weeks.

Huge thank you to Skylar for the amazing design.

Thanks again guys!

Mike

PS
I'll be releasing a really cool project by the end of the weekend ;)

Echo North said:
Hi All,

I received some more enclosure prototypes today and I'm quite pleased.  These enclosures are made in the USA and are very high quality.

Here is the latest version.  Please ignore the bulky silver assembly screws, that was the best I could do with what I had around the house.  Enclosures will ship with proper black hardware.

click thumbnail for larger images

It's a 9" black powder coated enclosure with silkscreened frontpanel.

Close up of the meter and pushbuttons.

Here's where all the cool stuff is (top and bottom removed).  The PCB rail mounting rails have been reinforced and are more rigid. There are mounting holes and slotted mounting holes on the rail and side panel to allow for mounting all the common 1176 PCB types.  

XLR and IEC inlet holes as well as holes for mounting 5002, B11148 and Cinemag transformers.

Here you can see the input PCB on standoffs as well as the slotted PCB rail mounting hole for accommodating multiple PCB widths.

Here is a view of an empty frontpanel.

The rear has blind threaded standoffs for easy mounting of the pushbuttons and 0 adjust pot.

Here are the brackets used for mounting.

Bracket attached to pushbuttons.   This makes for very easy and very secure pushbutton mounting!  

Bracket and pushbuttons screwed to standoff.   No modifications needed.  

I'll be reviewing these with a few others over the next two weeks before making final fine tuning adjustments.  I'll be making the production run order in 2-3 weeks and will have a deliver date.  I expect I should have these in stock by December 1st.  I will most likely offer some of these prototypes for sale in the next couple weeks.

Huge thank you to Skylar for the amazing design.

Thanks again guys!

Mike

PS
I'll be releasing a really cool project by the end of the weekend ;)
Looks pretty slick there hairball. I would have bought yours if you had it out earlier. Good luck with that!

Any plans to do a Pultec EQ case or are you only branching out to cases that relate to what you are currently supplying? The 1176 family?

Echo North said:

How do these blind threaded standoffs work exactly? hammered into the hole kind of like a rivet? how deep exactly?

Are these the same thing:
niittim-kupuk.jpg

Pricing will be around $130 USD I would guess. I need to wait on final shipping cost and calculate all the proto shipping I did.

These are not inexpensive to produce even in quantity due to the specialized hardware and numerous parts.

The depth of the hole for the standoff is dictated by the standoff itself.  I don't have the drawings in front of me, but would guess 1-2mm.  It is pressed into the shallow hole.  This is the same method used by UA and Purple.  It's very solid.

Thanks guys, this has been a lot of work and it's rewarding to finally get a solid prototype from a great company.

Mike

As far as future enclosures I'll most likely offer a dual 1176 next.

I also plan to have silverface and bluestripe panels available fairly soon.

That is it for now, these require a huge invest ment so new designs take some time.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi All,

I'm back from New York and all backorders will ship tomorrow.  You should get confirmation and tracking info in your email tonight.

The enclosures look great!  I will be doing the final production run order shortly and I should have them early/mid December.

I do have about 5 prototype enclosures I will sell late next week.  I'm just waiting on the hardware order (black screws...).  I'll probably sell the prototypes for about $100.  This is a good bit less then what the final price will be.  They have a few small fixable issues (they are prototypes) that I will document before selling.

I'll keep you posted!

Mike

PS - I promise that people are working VERY hard on the "N" style Mic In's and gapped outs!!!  These will be 100% worth the wait.

Latest posts

Back