Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

I think at this point the prototypes are probably spoken for. 

I'm just waiting on my hardware order (arriving 10/20) and I'll contact the people who emailed me.

For every one else, I'll be making the full production run order in about a week.  I should have them in early December and I will continue to stock them like everything else at my store.

Thanks,

Mike

Echo North said:
As far as future enclosures I'll most likely offer a dual 1176 next.

I also plan to have silverface and bluestripe panels available fairly soon.

That is it for now, these require a huge invest ment so new designs take some time.

Thanks,

Mike

I'd definitely be up for 2 bluestripe panels
J

Matthew Jacobs said:
Echo North said:
As far as future enclosures I'll most likely offer a dual 1176 next.

I also plan to have silverface and bluestripe panels available fairly soon.

That is it for now, these require a huge invest ment so new designs take some time.

Thanks,

Mike

I'd definitely be up for 2 bluestripe panels
J
I'll start the process on the Silverface and Blue Stripes as soon as I get the first blackface production run in stock.

Hopefully February (ish) on those.

Mike

Hey Mike, and ballpark idea of pricing on the Neve trafos?

mitsos said:
Hey Mike, and ballpark idea of pricing on the Neve trafos?

I can't really say for sure because I do not know my price yet.

Certainly there are similar products out there and my goal will be to have the best price and the best transformer.

Sorry for the vague answer...

Mike

Hey Mike,
I am really happy with my B11148 trafo's on my dual 1176.  ;D Thanks again.
Do you know if anyone has used these on Baby Animal pre's or a LA-4 build?

I have two channels of BA's that i am doing the impedance mod on to head them towards ribbon mics and I thought that the B11148's might sound nice on the outputs (at the moment I am running without output trafos).

Also, i am considering an LA4 comp build on Luny Tune boards for my next comp, which looks like it would be compatible for the B11148.

Any thoughts?

Mac

Hi Mike,

almost the same question as mac!

I will use the Altran input in my Daoc (need to order) and I need outpu tx.
I can't find the specs of the 2 output tx for 1176.
can you give impedance for prim/sec.

thanks.
Cheers.
Jr

the 5002 type is a 600 ohm 1:1, with a few extra windings used by the 1176 rev D/E circuit.  you can use it in any circuit that will drive a 600 ohm output, even with a few ma of DC in the primary, just don't hook up the extra windings (purple/gray and the two striped wires).

the b11148 is a 1+1:3.5+3.5 ratio, with something like a 150 ohm primary impedance.  it is not gapped, so there must be a cap or some other means to block DC from flowing in the primary.

the la4 used the 12614, which was the smaller 600 ohm 1:1 with no extra windings found in the later 1176s (rev G and later) and 1178.  the edcor XSM 600/600 would be kinda similar, and is cheap.  though it is not the same as the original, you could use the b11148, with the primaries in series (connect red to orange, then connect brown and yellow to the output on the PCB).  the b11148 will get you a little extra gain on the output compared to the 12614.

ed

thanks for the light master  ;D

too bad, I needed a 10k/600 output tx for the Daoc.
the altran in the perfect candidate for the input and the Kubi mod since it's 600/10k (correct me if I'm wrong since I can't find where I saw this)

maybe is it possible to use it backward for the output?
I tought about some carnhill line out but I can't find a datasheet anywhere!!!!

thanks again for the light...hmmm...5002 could be a good candidate for my ssl  ::)

best regards!
Jr

Hey Thanks Ed!!  ;)

I might try the 5002's. Couldnt see those edcor's on their website - the only XMS trafo's appear in the Poorman 660 bundles.

cheers,
mac

Hey All,

Just a quick update on the enclosures.

I have all the (black) hardware in and I am doing the last of my testing.

People who emailed about reserving one of the prototypes will get an email from me by Saturday with an offer to purchase one.

By mid next week I will have a confirmed delivery date and final pricing on the production run (should be available around Dec 7th).

Thanks again guys.  This whole enclosure process has been very rewarding and I'm thrilled with the results.  They are VERY high quality.

Mike

I received one of Mike's prototype cases earlier this week.

These cases are very high quality, look killer and went together without a hitch.

Kudos to Mike and Skylar for putting this project together.  8)

Now it's time to fire up the iron and get my butt in gear.

Mark

ps. The pictures here don't really do this case justice, it's simply stunning.  :eek:

Biasrocks said:
I received one of Mike's prototype cases earlier this week.

These cases are very high quality, look killer and went together without a hitch.

Kudos to Mike and Skyler for putting this project together.  8)

Now it's time to fire up the iron and get my butt in gear.

Mark

ps. The pictures here don't really do this case justice, it's simply stunning.  :eek:

Awesome!

I've just put in the order for the first batch.  I'll have a delivery date confirmed in the next couple of business days.  There is no need to post or email to reserve an enclosure, I'll have them in stock permanently.

I'm very happy with how they turned out.  ;D

I HUGE thanks to Skylar who put in a ton of work on this enclosure.  Big thanks to Ed Anderson and MNATS who provided great suggestions and really helped to make these even better than I had hoped.

Thanks guys!

Mike

Just wanted to add kudos for the case! I received my prototype & am very impressed with the quality. The added features makes this case THE case for the 1176 DIYer!! Can't wait for the Blue Stripe cases!  ;D

Sean

Awesome!

I'm glad people are liking them.

I just got of the phone with the metal shop, they have delivery scheduled for the week between X-mas and New Years.

I'm working on a few other things for around that time as well.

Mike

Hey Mike,
I shall be hitting you up for some of those sweet enclosures and rev F kits in the new year.

Quick question. Have you considered extending your HFE matching talents to the SSL 9K project? Seems to me like folks are building test jigs and the like....http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33100.60;topicseen  and since you are already versed on this kind of trickery.......

just a thought.....

Merry Christmas incase we dont speak again before 25th... ;)

Mac.

mac said:
Quick question. Have you considered extending your HFE matching talents to the SSL 9K project? Seems to me like folks are building test jigs and the like....http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33100.60;topicseen  and since you are already versed on this kind of trickery.......

FWIW, I'm working on something similar already. What I'm doing is more of a study to compare noise performance and DC parameter spread in largish batches of different transistor types, but I suspect that will be rather interesting for someone looking for matched pairs. Not that nobody else should start sorting transistors (given how much fun it is to plug hundreds of TO-92s into a tester). but duplicated effort might be a bit unnecessary here.

JDB.
[hoping to have preliminary results after Xmas]

Latest posts

Back