Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of putting together BOM's for my page.  Although generally I think we all agree picking out components can be the most interesting part, I thought I'd provide something as navigating Mouser or Digikey can be intimidating for a novice or even intermediate builder.

http://hairballaudio.com/shop/bom.php

I have the D done (with a lot of help from the Nimble Switch page).  I've used all Mouser parts and set up a Mouser shared cart.  Rev A and F/G will follow.

If anyone sees any errors or if you have a country/region specific list you would like to share, please let me know and I would be happy to post it.

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike,

I am happy to share my Mnats REV J  BOM with Aussie suppliers on it. I will just have to tidy it up first - ended up a real mess by the end of my project.

I will email it to you when I get a chance.

Mac.

Hi Mike , may I ask if T pads are 300 deg ?? Seems to be 320 deg on your front pannel...Could you help please?

Hi,

Yes the attenuator has a 300 degree rotation. 320 degree parts are not easy to come by and the front scale would look odd if it was altered.

The pot should fall a little short at the end of the rotation.  This is also true of the Purple units and possibly the reissues.

Thanks,

Mike

For those looking for the new switch PCB wiring guide look here:

http://hairballaudio.com/docs/FET_Compressor_PCB_Board_Info_V2.pdf

Thanks,

Mike

Echo North said:
Hi,

Yes the attenuator has a 300 degree rotation. 320 degree parts are not easy to come by and the front scale would look odd if it was altered.

The pot should fall a little short at the end of the rotation.  This is also true of the Purple units and possibly the reissues.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike !

Mike,

Just placed a order for some of the large knobs. The ones I had gotten from ApexJr a few years ago are close in size but just don't match up like the ones I seen at your place.

If you can toss in a pair of the input transformer PCB's for the cases I just got from you it would be great as I didn't punch any holes yet and I'd really prefer not to.

Thanks again,

Kevin

kazper said:
Mike,

Just placed a order for some of the large knobs. The ones I had gotten from ApexJr a few years ago are close in size but just don't match up like the ones I seen at your place.

If you can toss in a pair of the input transformer PCB's for the cases I just got from you it would be great as I didn't punch any holes yet and I'd really prefer not to.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Done!

Thanks,

Mike

I'm in the process of creating the files for the blue stripe enclosure.

I'm thinking of not having the lamp hole above the meter.  I appears to be about a 7mm lamp (probably 9mm w/ bezel), needing about a .310" drill hole.  The available area for it is about 0.480 inches.  It's tight, but appears that way on the originals.

The issue is there are a number of LED/lamps out there with many different voltages that look similar to the original and require slightly different hole sizes.

I think I may leave it off and users can always drill a hole in.

If you want the hole and/or have a lamp suggestion,  please post here in the next couple days.  There are a number of options for powering the light so a LED series with a range of voltages may work.

Maybe:
Mouser Part #: 607-2191U1-12V

If people think it's important I'll get it on there.  If no one is attached to it, I'll skip it.

Thanks,

Mike

ps: If anyone has an original and can suggest a pantone color for the blue that would be great!

I'd think one could always add the light later. I know I had spoke about it, but I think I would rather not have it there personally.

kazper said:
I'd think one could always add the light later. I know I had spoke about it, but I think I would rather not have it there personally.

Ya, it's a can of worms.  Some may prefer an LED, others a lamp, different voltages, style...

At that point there is no way to decide on a hole size.

Mike

Hey Mike, I used your preset Mouser cart to order parts for my Rev D. I was being lazy at the time and didn't double check it against the list. I figured I'd end up making another order before I finished anyway (I've never, ever gotten all the bits in the first go). I believe that there is only one 270R resistor included while two are required on the BOM (R4, R41). Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'll let you know if I find any more corrections. Thanks for making the build so simple!! Between the kit and Mouser cart its ridiculous how much time and effort it saves, I can get right to building!

Brolik said:
Hey Mike, I used your preset Mouser cart to order parts for my Rev D. I was being lazy at the time and didn't double check it against the list. I figured I'd end up making another order before I finished anyway (I've never, ever gotten all the bits in the first go). I believe that there is only one 270R resistor included while two are required on the BOM (R4, R41). Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'll let you know if I find any more corrections. Thanks for making the build so simple!! Between the kit and Mouser cart its ridiculous how much time and effort it saves, I can get right to building!

Looks like you're right.  I'll get that fixed tonight, thanks!

The other thing that needs to be added is a resistor for lighting the VU lamp/LED.  Obviously there are a number of ways to light these so that makes it a little tricky.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I believe, since I'm using the Hairball meter, that I'll just hang a 2 or 3 watt 220 oh resistor off of the transformer secondary at the PCB to get circa 12v. Yea? Once I get that and a few random bits, I'll be almost complete!

Brolik said:
Thanks Mike. I believe, since I'm using the Hairball meter, that I'll just hang a 2 or 3 watt 220 oh resistor off of the transformer secondary at the PCB to get circa 12v. Yea? Once I get that and a few random bits, I'll be almost complete!

Worked for me!

I'd go with 3W to be safe.

Hey Mike,

The amazingly HairballAudio's mega kit came in my hands last friday, and I really must say how thrilled I'm.... Then I must say that I was the one who put a staple in your last post by mistake I'm a newbie!!! I am not used to reply posts on the forum... I tried to delete but with no success.. Anyhow I will try to behave from now on!

Further I just would like to say thanks for all the work you, Mako and Ed put down in this project... I'm kind of a newbie so I will study and read every thing I see on the forum about this project. And its for free all knowledge amazing.

All the best,

//plexirob

Echo North said:
Brolik said:

Looks like you're right.  I'll get that fixed tonight, thanks!

The other thing that needs to be added is a resistor for lighting the VU lamp/LED.  Obviously there are a number of ways to light these so that makes it a little tricky.

Mike

Hello,

I'm pretty much done stuffing the rev d board with the parts used in the mouser cart using the access id. however, i noticed, i dont have the correct resistor for r4 which is supposed to be a 270r ? i have a 270 ohm which is r41 and a 270k which is r57. and i cant seem to find this 270r on the mouser site. any alternatives?

thanks!
jason

jjdrummerboy said:
Hello,

I'm pretty much done stuffing the rev d board with the parts used in the mouser cart using the access id. however, i noticed, i dont have the correct resistor for r4 which is supposed to be a 270r ? i have a 270 ohm which is r41 and a 270k which is r57. and i cant seem to find this 270r on the mouser site. any alternatives?

thanks!
jason

Right here:
Mouser Part #: 271-270-RC

I have corrected the BOM to include two 270 ohm resistors.

The Rev A BOM is now posted.

Thanks,

Mike

Back