Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not too familiar with the rotary version, but if you look at it I think the three pads on the ratio board that accept the output pot leads directly connect to the 15, 16, 17 pads beside them (15 connects to CW).

I would probably disconnect CW from the ratio board and run that through the link switch.  Connect the orange wire on my documentation that is supposed to go to pad 15 to the open CW spot (which should trace to pad 15 anyway.

Mike

Hi Guys,

Blue Stripe enclosures are here!

I need to go through them and take pictures.  The should be up for sale tomorrow night (03/09).

Thanks,

Mike

Hi All,

Blue Stripes are up:
http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=56

If you purchase a kit w/ enclosure you will see the option to select which enclosure you would like.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Guys,

A couple pages on the site stated enclosures were still on back-order.  This was an error and has been fixed.

Everything is in stock.

Thanks,

Mike

so is that Bourns 250k log pot actually linear?  Even the datasheet is confusing.  I also noticed you changed the bom to just an alpha pot now.  Any reason?

I changed the BOM when people reported that the Mouser parts was linear.  Since then, many people have reported it is actually log and I haven't had a chance to change it back.

The pot I ordered is from Digi and it is definitely log.  The mouser part is the same part number so it should be log.

I agree the data sheet is confusing.

Mike

It's an error in the mouser listings,
they are Log pots,
go for them ,
Mike,
i am now wiring your power tranny, for 230V operation,
and couldn't find any info ( where is the search function in this forum ???  ;-) )
I have connected grey and purple from the primary,
and wired blue ( neutral ) and brown (fused hot) to the power switch
NC poles of the switch to the IEC ,
for secondary, i linked the red and orange, and soldered them to CT,
then black to AC and yellow to this other AC
Can you confirm please ?

ooops,
maybe i should have posted this in the REV D build thread...........

I never talk about power transformer colors in posts because they are not standard.  There is no guarantee the transformers I will be selling 6 months from now will have the same colored wires, so you can see the issue.

Use the color code on the side of the transformer and refer to Mark Burnley's chart here:
http://www.diyfactory.com/data/transformer_connections.gif

You can see your 240V mains and center tap secondary are beside each other at the bottom.

Mike

I have some news on the gapped output transformers!

The full sized gapped 1166 style output is complete!  Ed has signed off on it and it's in production.  It should be the usual 4-6 weeks for production.  Thanks for waiting on these guys.  They will be well worth the wait.

The 500 series output (Peter P. 1084) is still being worked on.  Ed is fine tuning it and hopes to have it in production in 2 weeks.

Thanks Ed and all,

Mike

I finished my 1176 Rev D the other day with a Hairball case! Frigging awesome!

I just gotta say "Love your work!"

Postage to Australia is a bitch, but totally worth it!

Regards
Mike

Echo North said:
I have some news on the gapped output transformers!

The full sized gapped 1166 style output is complete!  Ed has signed off on it and it's in production.  It should be the usual 4-6 weeks for production.  Thanks for waiting on these guys.  They will be well worth the wait.

The 500 series output (Peter P. 1084) is still being worked on.  Ed is fine tuning it and hopes to have it in production in 2 weeks.

Thanks Ed and all,

Mike
Thanks for the update Mike. I'm itching to get these 1084's built. Like my plate is not full enough already!  ;D

BTW, can we loose that darned Santa hat on the avatar?? Seems like I need to remind you every year. Are you one of those guys who still has the Christmas lawn decorations out??  ::)

Cheers, Jeff  :)

Here you go! We actually just took the stockings off the fireplace a few weeks ago.  We forgot about them, they blended into the brick.  ;)

Feel free to post pics of your builds in this thread guys!

Mike

hey everybody waiting for the 500 size neve output -- very sorry i am the one dragging on this project. 

i've got a sample working with an original ba283 on my bench (comparing to the full size version and vintage marinairs, etc).  though it works, there are some small issues that i'm worried would cause some confusion, so i have to go one more sample revision.  but the end result should be very plug and play.  i am working to get them made and out to mike who has helpfully agreed to sell them.  so, its my fault -- been working on them, haven't forgotten, and they should be available soon.

and as mike mentioned, the full-sized LO1166 types should soon be available through the hairball store as well.

glad to be able to contribute to what looks to be another great peter project (erm, nevermind how that reads).  thanks for your patience everyone. 

ed

great news guys.  I'll be putting the 1166 style outputs in my Fester Limiter and EZ1290's.  Any idea on price?

Thanks again Mike and Ed!

phatmateo said:
great news guys.  I'll be putting the 1166 style outputs in my Fester Limiter and EZ1290's.  Any idea on price?

Thanks again Mike and Ed!

Oh I should also mentioned that a while back when this gapped output (L01166) moved from a groupbuy to an offering at my store

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=32961.100

I mentioned I would offer them at a reduced cost for the first week or so to honor the group buy.  I still plan on dong this.

So keep your eyes on this thread for a deal. ;)

Mike

edanderson said:
hey everybody waiting for the 500 size neve output -- very sorry i am the one dragging on this project. 

i've got a sample working with an original ba283 on my bench (comparing to the full size version and vintage marinairs, etc).  though it works, there are some small issues that i'm worried would cause some confusion, so i have to go one more sample revision.  but the end result should be very plug and play.  i am working to get them made and out to mike who has helpfully agreed to sell them.  so, its my fault -- been working on them, haven't forgotten, and they should be available soon.

and as mike mentioned, the full-sized LO1166 types should soon be available through the hairball store as well.

glad to be able to contribute to what looks to be another great peter project (erm, nevermind how that reads).  thanks for your patience everyone. 

ed
ed, are there any sonic differences between the full size version and the reduced size version? Like a decrease in the low end or not as wide a frequency range, etc?

I am presuming that the full size version will not fit in the Laz 1084 build, hence the smaller size?

It's great that you are going to through the motions of getting the transformer sounding right.

Back