Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echo North said:
I've also been thinking about offering 1176 front panels for a while (with no case to help shipping cost).  The trick is that enclosure manufactures use different mounting hole spacings.  The only thing I can think to do is to sell the front panel without the 4 holes that mount it to the enclosure.  You would need to drill those yourself to fit your style of enclosure.

Mike

I assume most people buying the front panels only, would have a blank one that came with the rest of their rack. That can easily be used as a template for drilling the holes.

Greg Dixon said:
Echo North said:
I've also been thinking about offering 1176 front panels for a while (with no case to help shipping cost).  The trick is that enclosure manufactures use different mounting hole spacings.  The only thing I can think to do is to sell the front panel without the 4 holes that mount it to the enclosure.  You would need to drill those yourself to fit your style of enclosure.

Mike

I assume most people buying the front panels only, would have a blank one that came with the rest of their rack. That can easily be used as a template for drilling the holes.

Very true!

UPDATES!!!

1166 500 and Full Size Transformers
I wish I had news.  They are very close.  Ed is working very hard to find out when they are going to ship.  When he knows, I'll know, then you'll know ;)

Front Panels
I heard back from the shop and they are pounding out a quote for front panels and switch/zero brackets only.  This should happen soon unless the price is too high.

AL-19/PPM 14 Type VU's
Thanks for all the feedback on the thread and by email.  Seems like people want me to get the AL-19/PPM 14 style meters in the shop.  Well this is done!  They are in production now and should be in stock in early June.

I've been playing around with prototypes for about 2 weeks now.  The meter has the same dimensions as the AL-19 so it's about 2mm smaller than the PPM 14 each way.  It's also a pivot and jewel meter.  Unfortunately I could not get the 90 degree plus deflection of the PPM 14 without having a special mold made which would cost thousands of dollars and make the meter very expensive.  The deflection is about 75 degrees.

Here are pictures of the meters with crappy printer scales taped to them and the SSL type meter will have a white pointer.

19_meters.jpg

You can see the VU has the same scale style as my other larger meter.  Here is what is in production:
- 1ma/600ohm linearish (the sifam is not perfectly linear either) meter with B style bezel and white needle (SSL Scale)
- Standard VU with B style bezel and Hairball retro VU scale
- Standard VU with WF style bezel and Hairball retro VU scale

Here are the scales:
19_1ma.jpg

19_vu.jpg

I'll have dimensional an cutout documentation up in the next week.

Thanks guys!

Mike

Looks good!

I should have some news about the tester stuff mid next week, maybe bring it down when the meter's and transformers show up.

Kaz

johnnyscotch said:
Is the 1166 the one for LAZEQN??

Yes I have two types of 1166 gapped output transformers coming.  One is a full size version and the other is the 500 series sized version for Peter's LAZEQN.

Should have booth soon.

Mike

Hello Mike,

This may sound completely silly but, will those new meters fit a 1U rack and are they suitable for the famous SSL comp builds?

I have a fairly strong feeling that both answers will be YES but I thought I would make sure before I go on a hunt for the final pieces for my GSSL build. ;)

Thanks

Mike

mikefatom said:
Hello Mike,

This may sound completely silly but, will those new meters fit a 1U rack and are they suitable for the famous SSL comp builds?

I have a fairly strong feeling that both answers will be YES but I thought I would make sure before I go on a hunt for the final pieces for my GSSL build. ;)

Thanks

Mike

Yes and yes ;)

I'll have a dimension file up for you shortly.

Here is the "B" style bezel.
http://hairballaudio.com/docs/meters/8027-B.pdf

I'll do the "WF" style bezel this weekend.  Although it's the exact same meter, with a different bezel.

Mike

Edit:  Here is the WF.
http://hairballaudio.com/docs/meters/8027.pdf

500_1166.JPG

LAZEQN 500 series 1166 outputs are just being wrapped up at the factory.  I hope to have stock early next week at the latest.

Thanks for you patience guys!

Mike

It's all Ed's hard work!

I just put stuff in boxes  ;)

1176 Panels
Pricing looks like it will be very good.  This will be a finished panel only (with PEM standoffs) and switch/zero adjust brackets.

Mike

great news about the 500-1166tx.
what is the technical data, or is it the same as the original 1166?
cheers
briomusic

briomusic said:
great news about the 500-1166tx.
what is the technical data, or is it the same as the original 1166?
cheers
briomusic

Yes the 500-1166 is the same as the full size 1166.  I recall Ed saying the THD at max output was a little higher on the 500-1166.  I assume this is a trade off on size.

Thanks,

Mike

Latest posts

Back