Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tubemooley said:
funkymonksf said:
Is it true that Ed Anderson will be releasing a Neve input transformer soon?
Will this be mic input or line-level input? I may be willing to sell a kidney for an L31267-like copy. DANA.

Ed is currently working on the mic-in.

I have talked with Ed about doing the line-in and I suspect that will be next!

Thanks,

Mike

Kamel said:
Hi Mike

any (good) news about the Al19 like meters?

thank you

I received an email from that factory informing me that production is delayed about 2 weeks.

They should be in stock right around July 1st!

Mike

Soeren_DK said:
Any info about mounting the in and output trafo's in a G1176 unit?

Cheers
Søren

Have a look here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=34975.msg428575#msg428575

Echo North said:
Soeren_DK said:
Any info about mounting the in and output trafo's in a G1176 unit?

Cheers
Søren

Have a look here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=34975.msg428575#msg428575

Hmmm. Like this?

Attachments

• G1176_B11148-output.jpg
    G1176_B11148-output.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 29
I suggested attaching them directly to X and Y which is 2 and 3 on the xlr out.  I don't think there is any reason to do it through the board, but you could.  Follow the traces, green/purple and blue/grey go straight to the outputs that connect to 2 and 3.

If you connect direct to the XLR you'll want to connect the VU X and Y to the XLR as well.  Or just do it as you have drawn it to be safe.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi All, Looking to build a pair of rev D very soon.  I was wondering, Which lighting style are you guys liking better, the led or lamp?  I have replaced so many lamps in other pieces of gear that i really like the idea of going led, but is it harder to implement or cause more noise? 

Hey there,

I just got a new Hairball input transformer (Altran C-3837-1) and noticed that the pin that is connected to the shield does not line up with the ground plane on the PCB supplied.

Has Altran changed their pinout, or is mine a mistake?

I'm not sure if the numbering for pins on a transformer is the same as an IC, but If the Dot is pin 1, then going clockwise, looking at the solder side, the transformers shield pin 7, while the PCB's ground plane is Pin 6.

I know it's easy to fix, (Just a jumper).. Just wanted to give a 'heads up' for others to check.

As always, Hairball stuff is great. Close to finishing my second 1176.

Cheers
Mike

the altran website says (for their other models, couldn't find any data on the C-3837-1):

"FARADAY SHIELD CONNECTED TO PIN #6
PIN # 7 CONNECTED TO CAN "

so... maybe the can isn't connected to anything on that pcb? does pin 7 go anywhere?

here's a picture of a possibly SIMILAR model (C-4124) pinout:

C-4124%20CAD%282%29.jpg

i've had no problems - i used the little hairball pcb - pin 1 is the one with the dot... but it'd be interesting to know.

Where is the new stuff?

Coming!

1176 front panels:  People have been requesting a front panel only option on the 1176's enclosures to save on shipping.  I will have a package that will be a panel with the switch and zero adjust brackets.  I expect this to be in stock late next week or early the following week.

AL19B 1ma/VU and AL19WF type VU meters:  Had a delay at the factory.  Should be here late next week or early the following week.

Full Size 1166 outputs: should ship to me next week.  I expect them the following week.

Thanks guys!

Mike

Echo North said:
Where is the new stuff?

Coming!

1176 front panels:  People have been requesting a front panel only option on the 1176's enclosures to save on shipping.  I will have a package that will be a panel with the switch and zero adjust brackets.  I expect this to be in stock late next week or early the following week.

AL19B 1ma/VU and AL19WF type VU meters:  Had a delay at the factory.  Should be here late next week or early the following week.

Full Size 1166 outputs: should ship to me next week.  I expect them the following week.

Thanks guys!

Mike

Fantastic. Ready to order as soon as they come in. Do you know the price for the panels and meters yet?

Hope you enjoyed your break.

Echo North said:
I think pin 6 and 7 are internally connect.  I'll check tonight.

Don't alter your PCB.

Mike

It's strange, because on my first 1176, the chassis of the input transformer is connected to ground via the PCB via the rack case.

On this one, it's not.

Pin 6 and Pin 7 are def not connected on this most recent input transformer.

Futureman said:
It's strange, because on my first 1176, the chassis of the input transformer is connected to ground via the PCB via the rack case.

On this one, it's not.

Pin 6 and Pin 7 are def not connected on this most recent input transformer.

I'm looking into this....

Futureman said:
Hey there,

I just got a new Hairball input transformer (Altran C-3837-1) and noticed that the pin that is connected to the shield does not line up with the ground plane on the PCB supplied.

Has Altran changed their pinout, or is mine a mistake?

I'm not sure if the numbering for pins on a transformer is the same as an IC, but If the Dot is pin 1, then going clockwise, looking at the solder side, the transformers shield pin 7, while the PCB's ground plane is Pin 6.

I know it's easy to fix, (Just a jumper).. Just wanted to give a 'heads up' for others to check.

As always, Hairball stuff is great. Close to finishing my second 1176.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

You were indeed correct, my apologies.

On a number of the current batch of Altran inputs they mistakenly attached the can to pin 7 instead of pin 6.  You should use a jumper if you want to attach the can to the chassis.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll attach a note with future orders.

Thanks,

Mike

Greg Dixon said:
Fantastic. Ready to order as soon as they come in. Do you know the price for the panels and meters yet?

Hope you enjoyed your break.

Looks like the meters will be here tomorrow.  I still need to crunch the numbers but I'm guessing low 20's.  Look for them on the site tomorrow or Thursday.

Front panels will be about 1/2 of the full enclosure cost.

Thanks,

Mike

The panels are arriving today. 

I should be able to get them up tonight at some point if this killer cold I have doesn't do me in.

Mike

Hi All,

The panel and bracket kits are in and look great.  The new meters (19B and 19WF) are in as well.

They should all be up on the site tonight with prices.

Mike

Echo North said:
Hi All,

The panel and bracket kits are in and look great.  The new meters (19B and 19WF) are in as well.

They should all be up on the site tonight with prices.

Mike

Awesome!

Latest posts

Back