Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MicDaddy said:
Question for Ed Anderson (apologies, in box is full)

Hi Ed,

What kind of throughput would be needed to drive a project of tearing into/reproducing the Triad a-11j?

I also have a microphone transformer I would like to have someone tear apart and possibly reproduce for a dynamic I plan to introduce.

Best Regards

Ben

generally for custom transformer designs, a 100 piece order is the minimum.  if you want me to replicate some transformer, supplying a sample will help quite a bit.

ed

Well, I'm just about done on the PCBs and getting prepared for all the hook-up, which is going to be fun.... :-[

http://mnats.net/1176_reva-d_hairball_wiring_attack_release.html

There are 2 resistors and a capacitor required in the attack/release pots, but I can't find any info on their values/spec? Anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks in advance!

Hi Electron Monkey,
I just completed my first compressor and thanks to this forum it was great fun. Time to contribute.
Have a look at the BOM and you will note that the right column identifies these parts:
R79 = Release Pot
R76 = Attack Pot
C22 = Attack Pot

The BOM did not originally ID R79 but I figured it out from the schematic

You will love the result
Cheers

Hi Electron Monkey,
I just completed my first compressor and thanks to this forum it was great fun. Time to contribute.
Have a look at the BOM and you will note that the right column identifies these parts:
R79 = Release Pot
R76 = Attack Pot
C22 = Attack Pot

The BOM did not originally ID R79 but I figured it out from the schematic

You will love the result
Cheers

Are you saying that those values correspond with the 2 resistors and 1 cap for the attack/release pots

Or that the current MNATS board integrates them onto the PCB?  As I have already R79 + R76 + C22 soldered in place!

I built the MNATS Rev F with the Hariball pushbotton compressor bundle. In my case, I did not use the MNATS ratio or meter PCBs. Are you building the rotary switch model or push botton? What BOM are you using?

Hi electron monkey,

You want to post build questions in the lab under the specific revision help thread.  If you can't find them there are links to them in the MNATS white market post in this section.

The attack/release resistors and cap can have different values and designations based on the revision.  Download the schematic/BOM from the MNATS site or check the first post of your help thread for the build docs.  You can clearly see the values/designations on the schematic. (bottom/middle).

Mike

Hey Mike,

I remember you mentioning that iron bundles for the LA3A and 1108 projects were in the works... are either or both of these still happening?

(just trying to decide which project gets the money first, and when the money needs to be there)

thanks,

Alex

JAB said:
Hey Mike,

I remember you mentioning that iron bundles for the LA3A and 1108 projects were in the works... are either or both of these still happening?

(just trying to decide which project gets the money first, and when the money needs to be there)

thanks,

Alex

The 1108 transformer bundle should be available late next week will be available this Thursday (delivery confirmed).

I'll have a transformer bundle (Input, Output and EL driver) for the Peter Purpose 500 series LA3A in about 3 weeks.  

Thanks,

Mike

Hi All,

The LA3A/1108 input transformers have arrived.  It's actually Cinemag's LA3A style transformer that is well suited for the 1108.  I'll have them up on the site with a 1108 bundle (paired with the 5002 output) tomorrow or Saturday.  I need to make an info doc and I have a few fires to put out.

The Peter Purpose 500 series LA3A bundle (Input, EL Driver and Output) will be in stock in about 3 weeks.  I'm waiting on the frame-less El driver and frame-less B11148 output. 

1176 Kits are out of stock again.  I'm waiting on large knobs.  I hope to have them back in stock in about 10 days.

Maybe a new meter on the way ;)

Thanks!

Mike

Echo North said:
The Peter Purpose 500 series LA3A bundle (Input, EL Driver and Output) will be in stock in about 3 weeks.  I'm waiting on the frame-less El driver and frame-less B11148 output. 

Didn't know you were doing this.  Outstanding!  ;D  Perfect timing, too.

jsteiger said:
Echo North said:
...Maybe a new meter on the way ;)
Shut the front door. What do you mean maybe? We don't call you Meter Mike for nothin'!  :D

Oh it's happening!

Just with the Chinese New Year it'll be a few weeks.

"Secret" stuff is always on facebook/twitter.  ;)

Mike

New transformer and 1108 bundle:
http://hairballaudio.com/shop/index.php?cPath=24

CM-2511 winding info will be on the product page within a few hours.

Tech docs are now posted on the CM-2511 product page.

Thanks,

Mike

Got my 1176 Rev A chassis & parts in the mail today. They look fantastic. That was lightning fast shipping too. Thanks!

I got my rev A&D kits a week ago. Had to finish my G9 project before unpacking and be tempted to start building these beauties. ;)
The enclosures look stunning! Very nice finnish and solid construction. Looking forward to test the transformers from Ed aswell.

Thank you Mike for all your effort putting these kits together!

PS. Thanks for the HB-pin!  ;D

Henrik

Awesome!

I know people are waiting on more FET compressor kit stock.  I'll have the large knobs tomorrow or Thursday.  Kits will be back in stock at that point.

Thanks,

Mike

Back