Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mic for acoustic is a side address type  ? , so it's basically off axis  ?
recorded sitting down on hard surface floor ?
thanks for posting & hairball for the spirit to try something different

Hi Okgb,

That's right.  A condenser mic, cardioid, side address.  The tip of the microphone aimed right at the players nose but about 6 inches away.  With the microphone capsule pointed straight at the ground.  So the mic is parallel to the ground.  I have a hard wood floor with a thick rug on it, and splayed walls, etc...  I've a-b'ed different mic positions for acoustic and this one position I really like for certain sounds.

best,
greg 

Hi,
I place my mic like you sometimes.
Nobody listen a guitar with his ear glued to the corders.
I'm not a fan of close miking with Cello, GT ....

I test to place a couple of small condenser just side my head, for rec the "sound like i hear it" and it's sometimes it's good  ;)

Dan,

Got my order on Friday and just wanted to say thanks for the great customer service and answering all my newber questions.  I will be most certainly doing more business with you.

Dan

So I've self-etched 2 channels of the MNATS 1108's and tirelessly read through EVERY groupDIY  forum that has anything to do with 1108's before posting but I am admitting defeat - at least for the night lol  - I've got the first of two "solo" style units built.. Cinemag 2511 input / EA-5002 output. - Thanks Hairball*** I've chosen to not include 48v phantom in this first unit so that is not where the issue stems from. I am getting a hum/buzz that is just too loud for me to be okay with. I am assuming this is a grounding issue. However any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I am using insulated wire to go to the volume pots* / grounded my power supply at 0v / and grounded all shields to chassis from IN/OUT xlr's. 

I'd gladly post pictures if anyone has any thoughts?

Ps - i've already successfully built 2 "1176" style bluestripe boxes with great success, and since the circuit  is very similar I am perplexed as to what I am screwing up??

Thanks !

Travis

Hi,

You want to use the 1108 support thread:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=37374.0

I don't have anything to add other than there must be a ground issue.  I personally have not built that project.

AdoreaRecordingStudio said:
So I've self-etched 2 channels of the MNATS 1108's and tirelessly read through EVERY groupDIY  forum that has anything to do with 1108's before posting but I am admitting defeat - at least for the night lol  - I've got the first of two "solo" style units built.. Cinemag 2511 input / EA-5002 output. - Thanks Hairball*** I've chosen to not include 48v phantom in this first unit so that is not where the issue stems from. I am getting a hum/buzz that is just too loud for me to be okay with. I am assuming this is a grounding issue. However any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I am using insulated wire to go to the volume pots* / grounded my power supply at 0v / and grounded all shields to chassis from IN/OUT xlr's. 

I'd gladly post pictures if anyone has any thoughts?

Ps - i've already successfully built 2 "1176" style bluestripe boxes with great success, and since the circuit  is very similar I am perplexed as to what I am screwing up??

Thanks !

Travis

Hello,
I ordered 2 EA-1166 500 transformers on Saturday. Just a heads up

Thanks,
Dave

wave said:
Hello,
I ordered 2 EA-1166 500 transformers on Saturday. Just a heads up

Thanks,
Dave

Got it!  I'll get them out tomorrow and you'll get tracking emailed to you.

Thanks!

Hi All,

The Lola mic pre is available now!

Hairballaudio.com/Lola

Thanks,

Mike

PS Nap time for Me, Lola, and the Hairball Cat.

Attachments

• sleep.jpg
    sleep.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 62
Hi Mike,
I received the mini 1166 transformers today! Thanks for the quick service. Ed does an incredible job! These are very nice

Dave

Just opened my Lola kit... I'm really impressed with the packaging, the attention to detail, and how well organized everything is. It's clear a lot of thought went into this! 

Looking forward to building... and hearing it!

Thanks!

bobine said:
Just opened my Lola kit... I'm really impressed with the packaging, the attention to detail, and how well organized everything is. It's clear a lot of thought went into this! 

Looking forward to building... and hearing it!

Thanks!

Thanks!

It's been a labour of love for about 2 years, and yes putting those kits together is not fun. :)

I need to put a note in the kits not install the t-pad or DI jack without reading the manual first (for the pro's who don't need no stinkin' manual).  They float off the board a little.

http://www.hairballaudio.com/LolaPP/LolaManual.pdf

Page 12.

Mike

Hi All,

I'm running a promotion in conjunction with diyrecordingequipment.com.  Enter the redeem code "differential" at checkout to receive a 10% discount on any Lola kit until June 15th.

Thanks,

Mike

hi,

I just received my order (4x Rev A bundle). But You forgot the J309 !
Can you send it to me quickly please ?!

thanks ;)

Latest posts

Back