Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mnats said:
I can't speak for Hairball, but the new FET/RACK was designed as a whole rather than PCB + Case. Unless your case was designed specifically for the new FET/RACK boards they are unlikely to work correctly. Crucially, two of the three brackets at the back of the board are for chassis and signal ground while all three aid the structural integrity of the finished unit.

I two have my own case. Is there any left over stock on the old style pcbs? Would love to grab some Rev A boards

KDE said:
I two have my own case. Is there any left over stock on the old style pcbs? Would love to grab some Rev A boards

https://www.hairballaudio.com/catalog/parts-store/old-style-fetrack

I built a FET/500 rev A a month or two ago and just wanted to say I have really been loving it. 

I love how it sounds even in GR off mode. The 2:1 ratio is getting used all over the place. Slam mode is everything I hoped for on a drum room mic.

You guys are great. Thanks for the amazing kit (and free T-shirt)

I see a Rev D pair in my future :)

Fuzz Face said:
I built a FET/500 rev A a month or two ago and just wanted to say I have really been loving it. 

I love how it sounds even in GR off mode. The 2:1 ratio is getting used all over the place. Slam mode is everything I hoped for on a drum room mic.

You guys are great. Thanks for the amazing kit (and free T-shirt)

I see a Rev D pair in my future :)

Thanks!

Is there any difference between the EA1166 (original) and the newer EA1166 500 series, other than the size? I guess I'm wondering if compromise was necessary? Or it's the same attention to the original LO1166?

JW said:
Is there any difference between the EA1166 (original) and the newer EA1166 500 series, other than the size? I guess I'm wondering if compromise was necessary? Or it's the same attention to the original LO1166?

IIRC Ed had said it might have slight more low-end THD.

How does one hook up the EA1166 transformer to neve circuit? I see the pdf on the hairball site, but I'm still confused about the wiring compared to original schematic.

I have two of the older (larger EA1166)

For the primary, orange and yellow tie together? Brown or Red goes to the +24V ("M" on the BA283 schematic)

On the secondary, there's usually the 1.5K and .01uF cap in between the hi and lo outs.

So, for a 600 ohm out tie blue and purple together and use green and grey correct? But which is hi and which is low (and which connects to the resistor, which to cap?)

JW said:
How does one hook up the EA1166 transformer to neve circuit? I see the pdf on the hairball site, but I'm still confused about the wiring compared to original schematic.

I have two of the older (larger EA1166)

For the primary, orange and yellow tie together? Brown or Red goes to the +24V ("M" on the BA283 schematic)

On the secondary, there's usually the 1.5K and .01uF cap in between the hi and lo outs.

So, for a 600 ohm out tie blue and purple together and use green and grey correct? But which is hi and which is low (and which connects to the resistor, which to cap?)

Yes orange and yellow are tied together to make a series connection.  Brown is the start of the winding and is pin 1 (connects to B) on the schematic and Red connects to M.

Secondary is series so tie blue/purple together, Green (pin5) is hot and grey (pin 8) is cold.  Zobel across the secondary and shown on the schematic.

Latest posts

Back