Solar power?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

So i've been looking at solar power for the house.

I can't believe the prices for these systems!

I would need around a 5kw system to completely break my dependency on the power company.. A grand total of 30K$ or more..

C'mon, how are we supposed to accept something so beneficial as this if we can't possibly afford it?

Even if I were to get a loan to pay for it, the combination of the loan and any remainder of an electric bill would far exceed what I would just pay for electricity from the power company!!

Why is it so expensive to do the right thing?? Even quality food these days costs much more than junk.. And we wonder why people never lose weight... Because they can't afford to!!

Be glad you live somewhere that could possibly provide enough power for your whole house. I live in Ireland.........we barely see the sun. It rained so much today that some guy went down the town main street in a canoe
And hey the most affordable way to lose weight....is to just stop buying and eating food :grin:

Bolton here, we sold him the canoe when we finished building the ark.

we dont do sun, we do wet :grin:

I thought about slowly integrating the system.

Step 1: A small wind/solar powered battery bank that controlled lighting for the most-used portions of the house.

[quote author="lofi"]
we dont do sun, we do wet :grin:[/quote]

Has anyone built a rain turbine to generate power?

what they need is a HUGE catch basin that drains into small pipes fit with turbines that turn generators. Kind of like the dam concept only built above ground.

There was a story in a NJ paper not long ago about a family that installed solar electric panels.
http://nylawline.typepad.com/greencounsel/solar/

> I would need around a 5kw system

That's 7 Horse Power. Before 1850, almost NObody had ONE full horsepower available. Most of the world lived, indeed -still- lives, on less than 1/4HP. Why are you so greedy? Alot 100W (or less!) of light for each person, each PC and TV. Stop keeping starches and sugars in the freezer, keep rutabagas and smoked-pork in the cellar. Shiver in the winter, sweat in the summer. You can still love your family, do your work, have a wonderful life.

> how are we supposed to accept something so beneficial as this if we can't possibly afford it?

Who is pushing you to "accept" it?

Is it even beneficial?

Turning raw light into electricity is not easy. Or profitable. You can use large mirrors, boilers, steam engine... all of which needs metal, which is red dirt plus HUGE quantities of energy to melt and shape it. Silicon panels are conceptually simpler, but the Silicon has to be more refined than a tinned-iron mirror and boiler. I have a strong feeling that the materials needed to capture energy from the sun take more energy to make than they will capture in their real-world working lifetime. Which makes sense if you have cheap energy one place and time, and need long-term energy at another place. Spaceships. Desert seismic stations. Not a house on the tracks midway between Texas oil and West Virginia coal.

Economy of scale. If you could collect light energy at a cost remotely comparable to PSE&G, PSE&G could do the same, at a better rate. In fact when the cost of oil/coal really rises again, that may be what happens: utilities rent your roof-space and share power all over your block and county. Not really rent, but credit customers who have sun-space to use. That's a better plan: if your roof panel fails, you are not in the dark nor put-out for cash. A PSE&G computer dispatches a low-priority work-ticket, a truck shows up eventually and changes your panel from PSE&G stock.

BTW, PSE&G probably has $10K invested in your electric bill, from coalmine to boiler to distribution gear. I know the line from the street to my house would cost $2K, a 5KW transformer is similar, but PSE&G does that for free (up to a point) because they invest now to capture all my future electric bills.

We gripe about the cost of oil, but the energy stored over a billion years in underground oil/coal is MUCH cheaper than any other source of energy, and will be until we run out.

The cost of everything is mostly energy. Red dirt is cheap. It takes a heap of energy to melt the dirt into iron, to shape the iron. Sand is cheap, big energy to melt it to glass or Silicon. Less obviously, there's a lot of damp soil on earth, but it takes a summer of solar energy to make wheat or corn or rice or soybean. It takes 1HP to plow and harvest 40 acres, several thousand HP of sunlight to grow the crop.

> A grand total of 30K$ or more..

Some of that is DC/AC conversion. And you know how overpaid DC/AC converter designers are. Anyway, I bet you -could- swing a loan on a $30K Lexus, if you wanted to. And the car would get used just an hour a day, for 5 or maybe 10 years. And suck fuel and insurance. For a job which really should be done better with a GOOD shuttle-bus system. Instead the US has rushed out to low-density housing, low density employment, long commutes in solo-occupant 200HP cars, returning to houses with a mere 3 to 6 inches of insulation in wicked climates. And thanks to the coal/steam fad of the 1880s, expectations of a constant 72 deg F.

When the time is ripe, if it really falls-out to individual systems, then you will see home-size solar systems featured at Home Depot. And they will probably still be $30K. So it won't happen until the cost of dino-electricity makes $30K look small. And before that happens, you will be driving a much smaller car (or take the bus) and adding a foot of fuzz to your walls.

I've been speculating about a combination solar voltaic, and solar heat collector. The solar panels are only X % efficient at collecting electricity, so there should be plenty of heat left to heat up water...Butt the solar cell up against a thermal collector and capture more of the energy.

Another thought is some kind of cheap lens system to concentrate the sunlight onto a smaller footprint. I think one of the solar panel companies may do something like that.

JR

> utilities rent your roof-space

Huh. Gus's cite says this is already happening, albeit on a bigger property than a personal shack.

"The GM warehouse in Cucamonga, CA... now has a photovoltaic array on its roof that can generate 1.5 million kilowatt hours of electricity per year. Although it is expected that the installation will produce half of the building's electricity, it cost GM nothing to build, and is expected to reduce the warehouse's electricity costs by 10%.

"The equipment was bought by Developing Energy Efficient Roof Systems (Deers) with the help of private financing and will be owned -- not by GM -- but by Deers. GM signed a long term contract with Deers to buy the electricity substantially below the prevailing regional rate."

I'm surprised they can do a deal at "substantially below the prevailing regional rate." It does help that Cucamonga is not Ireland.

Germany is not all sunny, but "...a pig farmer from Bavaria has covered his 150 year-old 200-acre pig farm with 10,050 solar panels ... the solar famer makes $600,000 per year from the sale of his electricity which will allow him to pay off his loans in 15 to 16 years." $3,000/acre/year is not bad for farming, is it? However "To hedge his bets, the German farmer has held on to his pigs."

> cheap lens system to concentrate the sunlight onto a smaller footprint.

Cheap lenses (or mirrors) are not cheap.

Anyway: this trick works when the collection device is "dense" in both permissible energy input and in cost. Solar boilers favor energy density much higher than standard sun so usually have light concentration upon a small hot-spot. Silicon solar cells improve a little at higher light, but then fall-off badly as their inefficiency raises panel temperature. A 2:1 concentration may be OK, but 1 square of silicon and 2 squares of lens/mirror with support may cost as much as just 2 squares of silicon. (And mirrors don't do well at low concentration ratio due to shadowing.)

I don't know why more is not done with the inevitable heat. While special projects may not need heat, and you can't ship heat out from large remote sun-farms, any mass-public local solar project has a heat-load which could be diverted from gas to solar. And heat may be easier to store than electricity. A big tank rather than batteries and DC/AC converters. And as long as you have coolth in storage, running cool water behind the solar panel may improve solar-electric efficiency by lowering temperature and Ico leakage loss.

"That's 7 Horse Power. Before 1850, almost NObody had ONE full horsepower available. Most of the world lived, indeed -still- lives, on less than 1/4HP. Why are you so greedy? Alot 100W (or less!) of light for each person, each PC and TV. Stop keeping starches and sugars in the freezer, keep rutabagas and smoked-pork in the cellar. Shiver in the winter, sweat in the summer. You can still love your family, do your work, have a wonderful life."

Honestly, how is this knowledge supposed to benefit me today?

I keep all my lights off unless I'm using them, I turn my PC off when not using it, keep my fridge at the best possible setting, etc. I DO shiver in the winter but my heat is gas. I DO sweat in the summer and my bills are still high. 5kw would cover my power usage on the hottest day of summer 100%

Just because it was done like that back in the 'good ole days' doesn't mean we have to do it like that now.

"Who is pushing you to "accept" it?

Is it even beneficial?

Turning raw light into electricity is not easy. Or profitable. You can use large mirrors, boilers, steam engine... all of which needs metal, which is red dirt plus HUGE quantities of energy to melt and shape it. Silicon panels are conceptually simpler, but the Silicon has to be more refined than a tinned-iron mirror and boiler. I have a strong feeling that the materials needed to capture energy from the sun take more energy to make than they will capture in their real-world working lifetime. Which makes sense if you have cheap energy one place and time, and need long-term energy at another place. Spaceships. Desert seismic stations. Not a house on the tracks midway between Texas oil and West Virginia coal."

Everybody yearns to get out from big brother and his electric company cousin. This includes me. I want to be self-sufficient and I want to buck the system. Secondly, although I don't believe in global warming, I still want to rid our world of smog and pollution and this helps. I already have to smog test my car every single year to be able to register it here in Atlanta.

"Economy of scale. If you could collect light energy at a cost remotely comparable to PSE&G, PSE&G could do the same, at a better rate."

Not really. They have an infrastructure that they have streamlined. Building infrastructure is no cheap or easy task. Once you've built it, you have to train everyone on maintenance, repair, etc. You also have to stock replacement parts and get new tools and so forth as well. This is one of the reasons Big Oil refuses to actually put forth the effort to rid this country of it's dependencies on oil. It would ruin any profits they make and surely dry up their bank accounts to actually put forth a significant effort to move to another energy source.

You have to ask yourself, "why are there such huge taxes on importing alternate energy generation equipment?"

"In fact when the cost of oil/coal really rises again, that may be what happens: utilities rent your roof-space and share power all over your block and county. Not really rent, but credit customers who have sun-space to use. That's a better plan: if your roof panel fails, you are not in the dark nor put-out for cash. A PSE&G computer dispatches a low-priority work-ticket, a truck shows up eventually and changes your panel from PSE&G stock."

Power companies ALREADY purchase power you put onto the grid if you generate electricity from alternate power sources.

"BTW, PSE&G probably has $10K invested in your electric bill, from coalmine to boiler to distribution gear. I know the line from the street to my house would cost $2K, a 5KW transformer is similar, but PSE&G does that for free (up to a point) because they invest now to capture all my future electric bills."

My power cable from the pole is the original one from 1968. It has long been paid for. I doubt the transformer is that old but it looks pretty old to me. Unless either of those give up the ghost, it's likely that GApower will continue to make money on me without ever having to do any real service FOR me other than supply the power. So yes they have "invested" but they have long since recouped any investment.

"We gripe about the cost of oil, but the energy stored over a billion years in underground oil/coal is MUCH cheaper than any other source of energy, and will be until we run out."

It's taken how long to get where we are today? Centuries you say? Yep. So if we start moving to alternate energy sources now we can safely say that our grandchildren will be comfy in the future without worry.

"The cost of everything is mostly energy. Red dirt is cheap. It takes a heap of energy to melt the dirt into iron, to shape the iron. Sand is cheap, big energy to melt it to glass or Silicon. Less obviously, there's a lot of damp soil on earth, but it takes a summer of solar energy to make wheat or corn or rice or soybean. It takes 1HP to plow and harvest 40 acres, several thousand HP of sunlight to grow the crop."

Sure and it takes more energy to purify aluminum than most any other metal and/or mineral. It takes HUGE amounts of electricity. However, most aluminum is processed by Alcoa in places like Montreal where they use a lot of hydroelectric power. yup, completely renewable energy.

"Some of that is DC/AC conversion. And you know how overpaid DC/AC converter designers are."

You couldn't be more right!

I played around with the innards of an old Xantrex 3kw inverter and unfortunately I have to say that it's design is completely outdated and overly complex. It was completely analog with some kind of ROM running the whole thing. I bet a nice FPGA would do away with half of the circuitry and cut 500$ off of the BOM.

They sell for 3k$

"Anyway, I bet you -could- swing a loan on a $30K Lexus, if you wanted to."

Hmm. I'm not sure I would choose lexus.. I'm a german car guy and I'm completely happy to keep on fixing up an eleven year old BMW until it finally dies rather than get a loan..

"And the car would get used just an hour a day, for 5 or maybe 10 years. And suck fuel and insurance. For a job which really should be done better with a GOOD shuttle-bus system. Instead the US has rushed out to low-density housing, low density employment, long commutes in solo-occupant 200HP cars, returning to houses with a mere 3 to 6 inches of insulation in wicked climates. And thanks to the coal/steam fad of the 1880s, expectations of a constant 72 deg F."

My car moves me less than 10 miles a day. A tank of gas lasts me 2.5 weeks. I wish I had a decent bus system around here but getting from point A to point B would take 3 hours according to the bus routes and wait times.

"When the time is ripe, if it really falls-out to individual systems, then you will see home-size solar systems featured at Home Depot. And they will probably still be $30K. So it won't happen until the cost of dino-electricity makes $30K look small. And before that happens, you will be driving a much smaller car (or take the bus) and adding a foot of fuzz to your walls."

I recently spent a lot of money over-insulating my house. You should have seen the absolute lack of insulation. I mean the attic didn't have ANY insulation at all. My car gets 30 mpg on the highway already and Home Depot barely stocks anything but pink insulation.

This solar power kick I'm on is only the beginning. I want to make everything in my house the most efficient that it can possibly be.

I had dinner with Floyd Toole last weekend. He and wife Noreen live in Oak Park, in a decent-sized house but nothing really extravagant.

It was a very hot day, but with the A/C in the house I wasn't too much missing my shorts. If it had been up to me I probably would have preferred it to be a bit cooler.

He put PV on the roof recently and gets electric bills of about one dollar a month now. But he readily admits it will never pay back on the investment in their lifetimes---he just thought it would be a cool thing to do.

> Honestly, how is this knowledge supposed to benefit me today?

Sorry.

I didn't mean that in a negative way, I honestly would like to know.

I suppose it's the way I've always thought. I don't think about how anything was in the past. I only think about what can be done in the future. Sometimes I have to go back and research, sometimes I don't.

Brad, you get to do all the fun things..

The only way that this would work is if I over spec'd the system and had the power company pay me for energy.. But I doubt it would ever be enough to cover the initial cost.

Svart said:
Brad, you get to do all the fun things..

You know it. And to my great surprise and delight, it gets more fun all the time.

If you had asked me at, say, 20, what it would be like today, I would probably have had an answer. And it would have been absurdly negative, totally pessimistic. That's why I counsel patience, at the very least, most of the time.

Maybe solar is being sold wrong.
Lets look at cars. People buy cars SUVs etc new and in a few years some get sold for less than what was paid for them and during that time there could be extra costs for maintenance and repair.

Maybe you need to have money to be "green".

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/solar/pv_basics.html

If I were to fund the installation, who would pay me 50% of the utility rate for their electricity?

I have no intention of doing this for anyone at this time, but I'm really curious about the business model.

It seems to me that it is an easy choice if you can't afford to put up the money yourself and you want to be off-grid. You get the system and a savings. What starts out as an idea that requires capital outlay turns into a money saver!

Back