Huge Chicago Output Transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannikin

I picked this up on scam-bay, I never seen a transformer this BIG.

6" x 4" x 4"
Weights 12lbs!!!!!!!!

its huge (thats a nickle in there to show size). BO-12 10Kct/600/16/8
THis is going to make one kickass Output for an LA2a
chicago.jpg

Nah, use it for a PP power amp like it's meant to be. That's actually more like a Fairchild side chain amp output transformer. Cool iron!

[quote author="emrr"]Nah, use it for a PP power amp like it's meant to be. That's actually more like a Fairchild side chain amp output transformer. Cool iron![/quote]

I was thinking, I could take the 16/8 ohm winding out to a speaker for a re-amp option.

Sure. That thing has roughly 9.9 more watts of output headroom than an LA-2A can drive. At some point I believe the additional headroom is possibly overshadowed by a higher distortion component, since the winding is aimed at a higher average output level target. But that shouldn't stop you; just something to be aware of and listen for. It may sound extremely thick and dark with line amp drive.

I've got a power transformer to go with that, and a choke. Yep, I'm still sitting on this pile of iron I got a year ago. It's all on a website somewhere.

Latest posts

Back