Armloads of vinyl

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

I saw a post on the local Freecycle list advertising a bunch of vinyl albums, free for the taking. I immediately replied, and went up to pick up the lot today. After the initial sorting, there is a stack of a good 30-40 or so we're keeping right off the bat, out of... about 150? Maybe 200 records? I'm not sure.

A lot of them are not in very good shape, and just about all of them need a severe cleaning. One in particular stood out: It's a documentary album about the space program leading up to the Moon landing. That album is still shrink-wrapped, and remains unopened.

Most of them are music, a lot of them silly compilations or "Hammond organ" or "Romantic Strings" kinda stuff. There are a couple of George Carlin records, a couple of Dylan records, and a couple of Doors records both sans Jim Morrison. I also found a Tom Lehrer record which I'm decidedly keeping.

Fun times, overall.

Nope, none of them, I'm afraid.

I have one by a band called Orpheus Ascending, and one by a band called the Flying Machine. Amazingly enough, I knew the first cut on the latter album from the radio. Back when I actually bothered to listen to the radio.

We also have several albums of truck driver songs we're going to give to a friend of ours, as he collects that sort of thing. There was a Buck Owens in there as well, which we're keeping. There are also two by an Edward Bear, who was apparently quite into Scientology. I'll give it a spin, anyway, as the music itself might be good or at least interesting.

All in all, the stack we decided to keep is actually quite large. I'm surprised.

Nice catch !

[quote author="Consul"] a lot of them silly compilations or "Hammond organ" or "Romantic Strings" kinda stuff.[/quote]
Don't throw them away, a little pile of these glued together can always function as the starting point for a Jecklin-disc.

Hey, I never would have thought of that. Good idea!

I'm basically splitting them into three piles: what we're keeping, what we're throwing out or repurposing, and what we think we can find a good home for elsewhere. A good example of the third category would be those Carlin and Dylan discs. I don't want to keep them, but I'm sure someone out there would love to have them.

There's actually an intermediate category, the "take a listen to this to see if we like it or to satisfy my curiosity" pile. That's basically the stage I'm at right now.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that there are a couple of ten-inchers in there as well. One is a Scottish folk singer, and the other I can't recall off-hand.

I've found those old albums with names like:

"Hot Percussion" or "Do the Tango!"

are actually pretty good for sharpening the ol' ear.

Keep an eye out for some Chet Atkins in that pile...

James Taylor's pre-solo career band w/Danny Korchmar (sp?) was called the Flying Machine, made 1 LP if I recall.

good score

keep em cool, Id been keeping a pile of vynyl of stuff I did and they melted just enough to be worthless.

[quote author="KarlH"]James Taylor's pre-solo career band w/Danny Korchmar (sp?) was called the Flying Machine, made 1 LP if I recall.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure this is a different band. The sleeve gives no details about the band, but none of the songs list a "Taylor" as the writer or co-writer. The first cut is called "Smile a Little Smile for Me."

Rose Marie...

Oh, dear. I have some Harry Lauder 78s my neighbor asked me to transcribe to CD. The first two are kind of fun; after that, well...

What's the cockney music-hall record?

Peace,
Paul

I've been getting around to listening to some of these records now. I'd never heard of the Electric Flag, but these two albums of theirs are well worth keeping. Very funky blues with a jazzy streak.

[quote author="Consul"]I have no idea, I haven't listened to it yet. My only exposure to Cockney music is from Chas and Dave, and Bill Bailey. :green:[/quote]

now i know that the UK is the same size as the average american back yard, but putting bill bailey into the same town as chas and dave really is rubbing it in, theres a good 80 miles between them ....

80 miles?! That's a trip to my favorite record store on a Saturday! :green: :green: :green:

Or rather, it was. :?

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some Chas and Dave albums. Nor on any of Bill's DVDs.

[quote author="Consul"]
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some Chas and Dave albums.[/quote]

thats a slippery road to madness your on there sir, and with the cost of medical treatment your side of the pond the happy pills will bankrupt you :green:

Naw, I've already heard Madness, and I survived them just fine. Chas and Dave would be nothing. :razz:

I just finished listening to Tom Lehrer's "That Was the Year That Was", which came in these stacks. That album could've been from last year.

Latest posts

Back