motorized fader

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yan_b

how it's works, i dont refer to the mechanics, but to the way it's regain position, or how the converted digital data translate back to position.

seperate audio and linear positional sense tracks, plus a third touch sensing track connected to the wiper handle. A comparator compares the recorded position with the present position and drives a motor drive amplifier to correct any error. The Touch sense usually kills the motor drive so that you don't 'fight' the servo, and the motor "lets go" when you touch it.

The rest is up to the automation software and starts to get tricky.

Keith

You might want to check out
http://avishowtech.com/midibox/index.php
A DIY forum for midi controllers.

I've been looking into 100mm motor faders for a project and am trying to source some prices. AllElectronics has some panasonics for very cheap but that do not have the touch sensitive feature that I want. I know the Alps and PennyandGiles are not cheap. but haven't found anything in the middle.
Anyone?

Sleeper

anyone know what kind of motorfaders are used in the mackie digital 8 bus?
Those can't be too expensive? :wink:

I'm pretty sure mackie advertises that they use P&G.

I was a bit curious about the B##ringer midi controller. If anyone had used it and liked the feel of the faders.
That's what I want, something that feels nice, unlike say a panasonic or tascam digital console and has a reasonable price point, If I'm going to take on one of those midibox projects my goal is to make something very nice with 16 faders for less than the mookie univrsall controller seems doooable,
but not with 75 dollar faders.

Sleeper

oh yeah, just thinking of using beh. parts-faders and bits of the metalwork,

Imagine being surrounded by a good amount of nice vintage and DIY gear and the one piece of equipment you have to have your hands on day in and day out 80% of the time is bleech(see mad magazine for detailed information about this sound)inger

Sleeper

yup, i used those panasonic faders from allcorp on my midibox - cheap but without touch sensor track...however TK implemented s/w workarounds using regular switches which turn the motor off when pressed (other options available) all works fine neways and they have a good feel :thumb:

i actually own the beh midi controller (bcf2000) , i heard somewhere it's use's the panasonic faders, but i have no intention to take it apart for now, the faders feel's nice, but quiet noisy.

Hi DaArry
Yeah, I saw that workaround for the Panasonics.
You used the buttons right. how does that work exactly?
you push the buitton and then move fader or do you have to hold it down?

how many faders did you do?
I'm looking at making 16, and I mostly use logic audio.
Seems like the implementation should let you gang em together as if you had 2 mmaacckkiiee universals but I'm not clear whether this means 2 seperate midi connections or just a pass thru with the core modules.
I should be asking this over there, but since you're here...

Sleeper

Hey Sleeper

you push the buitton and then move fader or do you have to hold it down?

Here's an extraction from the main.asm file for touch control with the LC emu:

Code:
;; following setting configures the touch sensor behaviour. The touch sensors of the motorfaders
;; have to be assigned to the DIN pins in lc_io_tables.inc - the appr. IDs are:
;; ID_FADER_TOUCH_CHN1, ID_FADER_TOUCH_CHN2, ... ID_FADER_TOUCH_CHN8 (8 sensors)
;; If the master fader option is used, the ID is ID_FADER_TOUCH_MASTER
;; 
;; TOUCH_SENSOR_MODE EQU 0: touch sensor events (pressed/depressed) be forwarded to the host program
;;                          like specified in the Logic/Mackie Control specification
;; TOUCH_SENSOR_MODE EQU 1: like mode 0, but additionaly the sensors will be suspended via MIOS, so
;;                          that they are not moved so long as the touch sensor is pressed
;; TOUCH_SENSOR_MODE EQU 2: like mode 0+1, additionally no fader move (PitchBender event) will be
;;                          sent when the touch sensor is not pressed.
;; 
;; The mode "1" by default to avoid circular troubleshooting requests in the MIDIbox forum from people
;; who don't read this information before starting the application.
;; Mode "2" should be the prefered setting if your touch sensors are working properly
#define TOUCH_SENSOR_MODE	2

how many faders did you do?

I kept it sep and made 2 boxes:

http://www.midibox.org/midibox_gallery/dan_lc1.jpg

one set as regular LC, the other as LC-extender module.

but I'm not clear whether this means 2 seperate midi connections or just a pass thru with the core modules

Yes, each LC would need it's own midi port - so 2 boxes (16 chans) = 2 midi ports. So for a self contained 16 chan box I'd say stick a mbhp 2x2 midi usb module in the box too - then u don't need any midiports and just connect via usb :)

daArry,

Looks very nice! Do you use it to control which recording software??
That panasonic can save the day, they are really cheap!

cheers!

I had seen those pics before... looking very good.

Thanks for the info...
I did manage to locate a manufacturer in taiwan/hong kong making p&g style faders.
I'll post the link if/when they get to me with a price.

Sleeper :guinness:

daArry,

I can't get my eyes off it!!!
Do you think it could work well with Nuendo? There're support for it ??
I hate using a mouse to mix...

cheers!
Fabio

yes, you can set it to emulate the mackie control too (just dif ID setting in firmware) which I believe is supported by steinberg apps. Note, I dont think it's the same as the updated mackie control universal (more info in the midibox forum)...

Either way, it's all generic and what's great is you can sysex dif box configs on the fly (only takes seconds) and just reboot the box and bingo u can switch from logic control to mackie control...If you make your own general midibox config you can ofcourse use the 'banksticks' to hop between setups! It's endless... :thumb:

oh man, don't say endless to me... :)

I'll take a look at midibox then.

CHEERS!
:guinness: :guinness: :guinness:
Fabio

I am busy with a new project and am looking for some faders and want to know how good are those panasonic faders , can the do audio or just work with ota/vca , what is the lifetime of it and can the stand cola/etc ??

Have not jet used before motorised ones , so what kind of steering must be used?? to drive them , can it be done with pwm?
The field from the motor will that make troube the sound on the fader?

I have an old neve board and the automation packages for it are either too old or too expensive.
I have been looking at Midibox setup. Is it feasible to use these kinds of motorised faders as the main audio channel faders - and buss faders?
Or is this only suitable for midi controllers?
I am planning to use volume controllers on different channels on a midi sequencer to control the different desk audio channels?

I dont like the Mackie Ultramix VCA thingies. Too much of a purist

Latest posts

Back