Neotek?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadege

Hello

what do you guys think about the neotek console? do you use them, how is the sound, quality, build,...

I know that Steve Albini ownes one but, is it really a good product?

We had an elan in one of the small suites and although it was quite limited in features it sure had a good sound going to tape. robust sound.

I had some Neotek Series I channel strips. I did not like them at all. However, I have friends who have many channels and really like them.

We have a Neotek Series III and love it.

Here's a recent client, their new album was tracked and mixed through our Neotek. Check out the song "Performance Evalution":
http://www.myspace.com/volcanoisaband

Thanks!

For comparison sake, the recording on the following page was done in the same room with the same mics, the only difference being that it was tracked and mixed through our old Soundcraft instead of the Neotek:

http://www.myspace.com/redsandblue

I work on an Elite from time to time. I don't like the mic pres at all. The EQ is decent, but not special. The summing bus is very good, clean and punchy, and the build quality is excellent. The board I use has been very low maintenance. It has been used about 70-80 hours/week for the past 10 years and has required almost no servicing. It makes an excellent console if you have a nice supply of outboard pres and EQ's. If I had to, I would be OK doing a whole album with the Neotek EQ, but not the mic pres.

-Chris

I wont use the terms "colored" or "uncolored" to describe mic pres, since I've never heard a U-87 make noise without one (except the time I dropped one on the hardwood floor). The Neotek, in comparison with any outboard pre (Neve 1272, 31105, API 312, Fearn VT-2), always sounded smaller, weaker, and less three dimensional. The outboard pres were larger and smoother sounding, but still clear and detailed. The closest outboard to the Neotek was an Avalon, which I also don't care for, but the Avalon was still better.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back