Front panel fab experiment

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livingnote

This is the thread for developing a small front panel fabrication that should remove some of the problems on the current market, the main one being that you have to use standard templates and cannot do any free form artwork (unless you have your own mill ;)

There are still 2 spaces open for anyone who wants to take part in this test, has a front panel design for a 19" 1 HU and wants to get it made free of charge (except postage).

Material will be chrome steel, 3mm.

Input data is a standard pdf with the graphics on it, and a DXF indicating size and location of holes in the panel. These holes can be of any shape (yeah a little tribal dragon logo with LEDs behind it is no prob;). If you can't export DXF, PDF is also acceptable.

Standard precision is .1mm

The one condition is this: You must be able to turn in the final design by Monday. Email address is lukas at monstermacher dot de.

I'll be there to help you through the process.

Cheers,

Lukas

Hi Lukas,

I would love to take part in this test. I can knock up a design PDF no problem but I can't do DXF for the cutouts. If you'd prefer to give the slot to someone who can do DXF to save you hassle for the trial I totally understand.

Are the graphics black on chrome steel? Is it laser engraving?

Thanks,
Ruairi

No prob, PDF to DXF is quick over here. If you're in Illustrator you can make one layer for graphics and one for cutouts and send it as .ai

The plate at this stage is bare chrome steel, with graphics etched in about half a millimeter deep, ready for filling with whatever color you want (though I'm not that far yet). DXF Cutouts are lasered through.

What this means for graphics is that the basic plate is shiny chrome and all etched areas are set back and matte. Go wild on the graphics, any shape is good.

At any stage, feel free to send me what you have so I can tell you how it's gonna come out.

Okay, one more available...

[quote author="livingnote"]Okay, one more available...[/quote]
Wish I had a bit more chops with stuff like this, but that chrome styling makes me drool...

So yes, I'd love to go for it and send you something by Monday.

Chrome... a better opportunity to learn it would be hard to imagine, thanks for offering :thumb:

We're talking about something like this, right ?

21057405_c7e617927a.jpg

Bye/thanks,

Peter

I'd also love to have a go.
I could put something together in the next few days.
Pultec mid-range panel probably.
is there still a space?

Alright, one exception, that's four. You guys can both get on the boat.

But that's it for the test space. As of now, free panels are out.

That thing in chrome is exactly what I'm talking about, makes me drool too :)

Just send me a mail for further info.

Sorry to say, but we're full for the workshop this time around.

Okay, well, one more, fine, ok...Mattia, you're in.

But now that's really it.

A word to the wise: Get in touch with me as soon as you can, Monday is approaching and there are details and questions to talk about so that your panel does turn out just right.

If all goes well then we'll have some nice results by the end of next week, and then it's posting time :)

Back