Gyraf Pultec amplifier

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikoKensington

What do you guys think of using the Gyraf Pultec amplifier/ps board as a standalone tube line amp? You know, for "warming" and such.

Trying to think of uses for spares and the like. :wink:

YEP
people do this
some also use the BA283 driver stage for the same purpose.

mmm

a Neve driver stage on a PCB ... all buy it's self ... perhaps one could simplify it with some easy to get transistors
:roll:
how about changing the T03 to an easy to get and fit TIP unit TIP41 perhaps
might be better than getting stuck with sub standard copies of the original output device.

My Pultecs are going to feature Quad Eight line cards for the output. But I'd like to use the extra boards for something fun. Tube DI perhaps? Line snatchurators? :roll:

You've only got 18 to 20 dB (I think) but for things like synths, -10dB sources and signals already gained then YES this type of unit can be great. Use different tubes and output trafos to get the feel you want.

For true Tube DI you may feel that the G9 has more to offer.

from Kev:
For true Tube DI you may feel that the G9 has more to offer.

Could imagine that without too much effort ! :wink:

Standalone-use of the output section does sound good too.

So I'm curious how the SRPP-output sections of the Pultec & G9 compare. They're alike (topology), but use a different tube and a slightly different resistor value here & there.
(sorry if this has been asked before)

I would like to experiment a bit first with a simple/modest trafo - which Edcor-trafo would suit ? Could a WSM 10k:600 work OK here or is that 10k too high ?

Thanks,

Peter

try a 5k:20k on the input and a 2k4:600 at the output. Just contact EDCOR. They does custom jobs at no extra cost.

This sounds too good to be true ! Do they have a minimum amount on such jobbies ?

Tony dB's Edcor-grouporder leaving soon and the possibility to get custom trafo's. Serious, tell me I'm not dreaming ! :grin:

good idea, just splice in a 1/4 jack, or xl if your Kev, kind of like an insert on a mixer, that by passes the filterr section, no volume control, unless you invent something.

Wow! Those are some pretty clean Triads.
Very tough to come by these days.
Be careful with those pins. If you look at them wrong, they will snap.

Now if you only had some Peerless S 217 D's to send me!
:mad:

you sold them off to pay for the Red Bull incident, did ya?
Dasng, if it wasn't for that Pit Bull, I'd had that place picked clean by now.
:twisted:

she's a cat killer :\ struck #4 this past weekend... you would think the cats would eventually learn to NOT go in the backyard... I mean theres a pretty high fence... slowly the cat population is decreasing :roll:

Jeez! Call the SPCA!
Do the neighbors know what the scoop is?
Burn the carcasses before they find out.
Now who is gonna kill the roof rats?
:razz:

Latest posts

Back