House wiring and grounding questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mailliw

Hello,

At my parent's house, if I am playing guitar in my room and my dad is using a power tool (ex: his Makita brushed belt sander), I can hear it coming though my amp as a high-pitched whine. The garage and my room of course have their own circuits. It's a modern house in the country, less than 15 years old.

What causes this? It also happens when people flip light switches, use the vacuum, etc.

On another note, the electrician who wired this house installed 2 ground rods outside, one was firmly in the ground (not sure how deep) and the other was barely covered with dirt and lay flat along the ground. I pulled it up, drove it down about 6 feet until I hit a big ol' rock, cut it off and reclamped the ground wire going to the panel.

The house has well water, the well goes down about 20 feet. Is it a good idea to tie the ground rods to the well casing too? Its only 20 or so feet away.

Thanks

i don't think this a grounding issue...does this happen when light switch/power tool motor are on different circuits? do the branch circuits physically run parallel to each other for long distances?

i think this rubbish can be filtered out with low-pass type filter before the power xfmr of affected amp

Latest posts

Back