drip V72 pcb

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Kevin at kandkaudio:

The only difference between the 5mA version and 15mA version is the primary inductance.  The 15mA is about 270H and the 5mA about 750H.

Any idea what the original inductance of the original choke would have been and if this is still in range?
The Sowter 9375 seems to also be spec'd at 750H, but 1mA.

--Peter

Lundahl makes a nice psu transformer model # LL1683

250V / 0.16mA  6.6V / 3A 5.2V / 48V  0.1A  approx $175

LL1683.jpg

Not sure if the 6.6V (B4 & B6 )on both secondaries can be combined in series for a 12V filament.

This PSU transformer is designed to be mounted in the same enclosure as the preamp board, since it has minimal RFI and flux field built into its special core. Also , built in Phantom voltage as well !!!

However the Antek is a nice choice because its cost effective, but lacks phantom voltage.

Greg,

Whats the word!  Any updates?

Stereo board?

Any new listening comparison tests?

+48V circuit?

The prodigy board has been all atwitter with these MK7 mics lately...just wanted to check on this.

one thing I just understood recently while researching.... when implementing the DI on the V72 using a transformer, this transformer is being inserted before the mic input transformer, switched in.  But, when you do a DI on the v72 without using a transformer you just inject directly post input transformer (roughly)...

Anyone else working on theirs? I'm done besides all the wire/power hookup, prolly gonna wait for my case, not sure yet. Just wondering how anyone else is fairing.

Has anyone tried to put the drip 72 and "la" into the same box?  Seems like there would be some significant cost savings on the case & power section.... would be a cool diy tube channel strip kinda like the UA la-610.

zachs:

I've got many or the components in hand, am currently waiting on the transformers, which are on backorder for 1-2 months. I have not started the actual build yet. I plan to do all of the Drip "mods" but am going without the meters.

I was kind of hoping to see a phantom power add-on...

--Peter

Whoa cripes, I never even realized that it doesn't have phantom... should be an easy add on. Can you save the day Greg with a simple instruct?

What are recommended the resistor and capacitor pairings needed on the auto compensating gain switch (5 position 2 deck) which would provide a relatively consistent frequency response across gain settings?

I don't have the pretty circular PCB but figure I can just wire up resistors and caps to the switch directly.

thanks,
--Peter

Bumping this thread!
I too am wondering about the status of phantom power, Greg.

jlearman said:
Has anyone tried to put the drip 72 and "la" into the same box?  Seems like there would be some significant cost savings on the case & power section.... would be a cool diy tube channel strip kinda like the UA la-610.
Yeah, that would be cool!  Anyone know if both boards would fit in a 2 or 3 space rack enclosure?

Has anyone actually finished one of these?  I'm very curious to hear how the build worked out and how they sound.
Also wondering if the 48v issue might be resolved by this little JLM kit?  http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLMDI.htm
Thanks!

Logey

logey said:
Has anyone actually finished one of these?  I'm very curious to hear how the build worked out and how they sound.
Also wondering if the 48v issue might be resolved by this little JLM kit?  http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLMDI.htm
Thanks!

Logey

Yes,

Fine, but a pain to fit and use effectively the Tat case that came with the stuff from another member. It sounds great as it is but I don't have a original to compare it to. Lundahl all around.

Yes no on the kit, The kit would add a DI and address the front panel switches phases etc... But it would not provide the +48V. I used a 5 or 10VA toroid and a SSL9K PSU with only the +48 side stuffed, but there is plenty of options.

The switch layout in the PDF is fairly confusing. To many options and not laid out in a consistent and logical manner. I have a few notes that would be helpful for those with Tat's case on how I got it to work.

One more thing in regards to the DI, I'm no expert but you may want to look into the best type for use with a tube circuit. I left the jack unconnected for now, but I may look at one of Owles Fet DI's as a option.

kazper said:
Fine, but a pain to fit and use effectively the Tat case that came with the stuff from another member. It sounds great as it is but I don't have a original to compare it to. Lundahl all around.

Yes no on the kit, The kit would add a DI and address the front panel switches phases etc... But it would not provide the +48V. I used a 5 or 10VA toroid and a SSL9K PSU with only the +48 side stuffed, but there is plenty of options.

The switch layout in the PDF is fairly confusing. To many options and not laid out in a consistent and logical manner. I have a few notes that would be helpful for those with Tat's case on how I got it to work.

One more thing in regards to the DI, I'm no expert but you may want to look into the best type for use with a tube circuit. I left the jack unconnected for now, but I may look at one of Owles Fet DI's as a option.

Thanks for the feedback Kazper.  Sounds like an appealing project but I now see that its no longer available on the drip site.  I guess I'll have to wait and see if and when he comes out with a revised version.
re the DI: It seems like every preamp in my studio has a great DI built in these days, so I would probably just leave that out anyway.  But I would want 48v.
Logey

Hello Logey!

I have a drip72 pcb for sale and also some parts for it! If you are interested pm me!

regards,
Wolfgang

Latest posts

Back