Need to prioritize my list of DIY gear

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENS Audio

Yes, what is more challenging than building a whole studio worth of diy gear?? Having enough discipline to put a finite list of potential diy audio gear to work on.

So I would like to ask all those out there who've heard and built the most killer gear out there, being that I'm a drummer and will be just doing mostly tracking and very small amount of mixing.

What would be a good a decent collection of gear for tracking/preproduction of drumtracks that I can aquire for myself.

So far Im near completion of my first project (8 ch green pre)
and this is what I have pending so far:

2x G7 pair

2X LA2A (waiting for TB4s/PCBS so this will probably be finished a long time from now)

8x Nite Eq...

8x SSL 9K

4x Neumann W492 (will be getting boards in a few weeks, but will probably be awhile before I have all 4x built due to the hight costs of those darn pots)

4x 1176 (4x overkill for my intended applications?)...(waiting for the next ed anderson 1176 tranny groupbuy :wink: )

Now what should I take off my pending list of projects and what should I add to my list of "urgent diy projects to do"

Thanks in advance,

I think it's a pretty reasonable question that i must consider also
as i have 10-15 1/2 finished projects in the cue

[ everytime i run into a problem or run out of a part, i move on to another
and many stall at the finishing touches ]

I started with the idea of pairs and in grps of eight , 8 extra pres for recording , 8 comps & eqs for mixing on the passive sum bus as well
So i'm trying to pull back to that point and even out ,

the catch is that sometimes the grp buys may not sustain a second
round and one may miss out , the numbers help the buys but it is
speculation , but a long hard question about what does anyone really need
and is it the deal breaker ? if it's your own music are the songs &
performance together first ?

[quote author="kazper"]ON the W492, you may check with Omeg in the UK for pots as a cheaper alternative.[/quote]

I dont trust my intuition so because of that would you happen to know the part # for the Omeg pots you are referring to???

Hey ENS, I already did some of this homework for the W492. it's their ECO line... Part numbers/prices for small quantities below. I have traded a few emails with them about this but don't want to pay 16GBP shipping, so if you do go through with ordering, maybe you can get 2 channels worth for me and we could split shipping? Price per pot should go down a bit too. The lengths are all they had available for F21 type (4mm round spindle) in small quantities. 2-4 week lead.

single gang:
10 pcs minimum order quantity PC16ECO 10KA F21 L=24mm or L=35mm
1.47 gbp each

DUAL gang:
10 pcs minimum order quantity PC2G16ECO 10KA F21 L=35mm
1.90 gbp each

This starts to make more sense when there are a few others.. or maybe we could order dual gang only to get a better discount.. If you're up to it, let me know.

Latest posts

Back