I'm Getting Nervous Already - Gustav

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in Key West when Fay came and I had to evacuate. I literally got the last rental car on the island (OK, they had a van left still...). It must really be a drag to have to live with threats like that all the time.

Be safe.

-Chris

I've never been an alarmist but after living through all the Katrina mess I'm a bit more on edge. My parents always installed in me a healthy fear of these storms because my father lived through Hurricane Betsy in the 60s (more powerful than Katrina) and he knew first hand what these storms can do.

Since Katrina I've bought a house (in a part of the city where most homes didn't flood), which is probably my main materialistic concern.

This storm will become a major hurricane... predictions are for a Category 3 Hurricane by Saturday after entering the Gulf. Then is has a couple more days to strengthen before landfall. I'm not saying it is coming to New Orleans, but it's obviously going to go somewhere...

... updates every 6 hours (I think)...

.. waiting an watching. :sad:

[quote author="Greg"]I've never been an alarmist but after living through all the Katrina mess I'm a bit more on edge. My parents always installed in me a healthy fear of these storms because my father lived through Hurricane Betsy in the 60s (more powerful than Katrina) and he knew first hand what these storms can do.

Since Katrina I've bought a house (in a part of the city where most homes didn't flood), which is probably my main materialistic concern.

This storm will become a major hurricane... predictions are for a Category 3 Hurricane by Saturday after entering the Gulf. Then is has a couple more days to strengthen before landfall. I'm not saying it is coming to New Orleans, but it's obviously going to go somewhere...

... updates every 6 hours (I think)...

.. waiting an watching. :sad:[/quote]

whoa... im in hammond, louisiana brotha...i know what you mean!!!

Lo-Fi... I had no idea you lived in Hammond. I haven't been posting too much on the forum lately, but I still DIY and engineer. Do you come to New Orleans often?

I have several friends on the Northshore and have worked several times this year at Studio in the Country in Bogalusa.

Maybe we can try and meet up with some other DIYers from the area. I know lab members Andre and Tillman well.

[quote author="Greg"]Lo-Fi... I had no idea you lived in Hammond. I haven't been posting too much on the forum lately, but I still DIY and engineer. Do you come to New Orleans often?

I have several friends on the Northshore and have worked several times this year at Studio in the Country in Bogalusa.

Maybe we can try and meet up with some other DIYers from the area. I know lab members Andre and Tillman well.[/quote]

you've got mail!

[quote author="lofi"]shame about the slightly larger distance cos i would have liked to have met my American cousin Lo-Fi[/quote]

ditto! if you are ever in this area, let me know!

[quote author="Greg"]Lo-Fi... I had no idea you lived in Hammond. I haven't been posting too much on the forum lately, but I still DIY and engineer. Do you come to New Orleans often?

Maybe we can try and meet up with some other DIYers from the area. I know lab members Andre and Tillman well.[/quote]

Next week may be a good time to visit friends further inland and above sea level. :cool:

I'm just about squared away from Katrina but we're gonna get pissed on again no matter where exactly the eye tracks from here. I understand the nervousness of folks on the MS coast, and in naw'lins. I'm far enough inland that I never took Gulf hurricanes too seriously until the eye of Katrina passed right over me. But I was still lucky compared to so many others.

I hope it doesn't pick up too much energy this weekend out on (the warm) open water, but you know it will.... Good luck all.

JR

PS: Who is the joker who named a hurricane Gust?

yup, forecasts are calling for cat 4 offshore so expect a cat 3/4 at landfall. I know some folks that swam out of NO when Katrina hit. They are coming to the ATL well ahead of time this go 'round. I know it's probably not feasible but any of you folks in and around NO that are planning to get out and possibly come to ATL can shack up at my place if you need.

[quote author="Svart"]yup, forecasts are calling for cat 4 offshore so expect a cat 3/4 at landfall. I know some folks that swam out of NO when Katrina hit. They are coming to the ATL well ahead of time this go 'round. I know it's probably not feasible but any of you folks in and around NO that are planning to get out and possibly come to ATL can shack up at my place if you need.[/quote]

Thanks for the generous offer.

That would mean that it would have to jump the coast all together and land somewhere out in the very western side of Texas. The Texas coast line is anything but desolate. I hope everyone in the path of this thing takes all the steps to protect themselves. Having lived in a coastal town you always run the risk of above average weather.

-Casey

Agreed there is no way for this to miss everybody. Folks in LA and in the projected path are taking this far more seriously than they did Katrina, so hopefully there will be less loss of life.. already some 80 dead in Caribbean.

JR

Just watched the BBC news reporting that evacuation of New Orleans is
mandatory !!
Hope everyone gets away and that the damage is minimal.
Take care everyone,

Regards,
Marty.

Latest posts

Back