EDCORE XPWR063 - Power for PM670 *???* - UPDATE!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khstudio

UPDATE!!!
[quote author="edcorusa"]I wish to thank you for bring this issue to our attention. An e-mail has been sent out to all that had their orders shipped out. Those whose orders that have not been shipped out will have a proper unit shipped to them. Thank you for your orders and sorry for any inconvenience.[/quote]

Original Thread starts below:

For those who are interested in a standard EI core power transformer, instead of a toroidal transformer, EDCOR has one to fit the PM660. The model number is XPWR063. It is not listed on their web site just yet.
www.edcorusa.com
edcorusa.cgsociety.org

I just received my transformers from EDCORE & there's a sticker that shows all the connections & Voltages for the XPWR063 Power Trans.

It shows 7.5v - 0 - 7.5v (Listed as 15v @ 1A CT)

This is WRONG... NO
:? :?:

It SHOULD be 15v-0-15v :!:

Hopefully the "sticker" is wrong.

Here's what it should be:

Sec1 = 250V @0.2A

Sec2 = 9V @ 6A

Sec3 = 15 – 0 – 15 V @1A

I haven't had a chance to actually test it yet to see for myself but I have a bad feeling.

Sounds wrong for sure. I haven't looked back at the Edcor spec as originally described to see what was stated.

I just tested it & it is definitely WRONG :!:

I measured aprox = 17v full across
& aprox = 8.5v from each end to the Center Tap!!!

BTW, I do like the affordability of the Edcores & they (Brian) are very helpful but this one has got me a little pissed off.

technically you need 15v,
it looks like there's inputs on the power PCB for the center tap,
so 7.5v/0v/7.5v gets you 15v when you hook up all 3 connections.

since the desired value is 15v, you technically wouldn't need 15/0/15 off a power transformer, really.
if it kicked out 15v, you'd just need that regular 15v tap, not something center tapped.

Unless i'm missing something in the way it's then rectified...............

[quote author="khstudio"]I measured aprox = 17v full across
& aprox = 8.5v from each end to the Center Tap!!!
[/quote]

and there's the answer then, no?
you need 15(ish) volts AC,
you HAVE, 15(ish) volts AC.

easy there lad.......

[quote author="emrr"]no, it's for making both -17 and +17.[/quote]
NO, i have the board here,
the AC has 3 connections into a FULL WAVE RECTIFIER

plus and minus 17v comes after this.......

[quote author="Gwaggin390"]
Unless i'm missing something in the way it's then rectified...............[/quote]

Yes you're missing something :wink:

i suppose i could be confused, but it sure looks like the LM337 and LM317 give you regulated + and - 17v

[quote author="khstudio"][quote author="Gwaggin390"]i suppose i could be confused, but it sure looks like the LM337 and LM317 give you regulated + and - 17v[/quote]

Dude... You can't get -17 -0- +17 from 7.5-0-7.5 taps (at least not on this PSU PCB)

It is Wrong, period![/quote]

in the edcore power transformer thread, you correctly mentioned that a
15/0/15 is a THIRTY volt transformer.
so if you use the center tap, you get THIRTY volts total.

I'm no electrical engineer but if you use the center tap and each secondary
into a full wave rectifier, you get +/-15v out of each side of the rectifier.
if you use a single NON center tap 15v secondary on a full wave rectifier,
you get +/- 15v out of either side.

I can't tell you how many cheap radio shack 12/0/12 volt transformers
i've used with the Mnats power supply board to get +/-24v.

have i imagined the +/-24v readings on my meter???

now, if there's the wrong VA rating, THAT would muck things up.......

http://www.audiotransformers.net/forum/index.php?topic=188.0

And on page #3 of the PM660 support thread...
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=28274&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:59 pm Post subject:
mrclunk wrote:
mr edcor,
do you have a price for the XPWR063?
Is it enclosed,or can it be?
seeing as i'll be getting the audio xforms from u guys may as well be powered by edcor too.

The XWPR is $56.65US.

The unit has a 115V or 230V (50/60Hz) primary with a 250V (200mA), 9V (6A) and a 15-0-15 (1A) secondaries. The XPWR063 is an open framed transformer with endbells.
www.edcorusa.com
edcorusa.cgsociety.org

Last edited by edcorusa on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:14 pm; edited 3 times in total

Spelled out at a 15-0-15 thats 30V center tap to me...

It's posed on there own forum as a 15-0-15, on this forum the same. I'd say there was a misunderstanding on the winder that day or the spec model information. I've ordered one and it's on it's way at the moment.

Don't stress, I'm sure Brian and the Edcor Camp will take care of you/us on this. Hopefully at little additional cost to any of us.

KaZ

OK... I'm going back to my shop to check something because the "STICKER" is confusing:

#1 - it says 7.5-CT-7.5

#2 - the "Primary" side wiring may be wrong... I never tested the 250 Taps yet.

I'll be back ASAP!

Don't stress, I'm sure Brian and the Edcor Camp will take care of you/us on this. Hopefully at little additional cost to any of us.

KaZ

I spent way too much time tonight testing & posting this in several threads...
I'm really just trying to save a BIG headache for ALL parties involved.
:wink:

This is going to create a lot of unnecessary shipping cost & wait time for ALL of us. :sad:

> 8v-0-8v

Not what he seems to say on his forum.

I'm 98% sure you could rig a voltage doubler. You need to move one or two "wires", which could be tough if you won't hack-up your PCB. I don't have the PM660 details; maybe one of the insiders could expand on this hint.

You could have got a miswind... I did get from them them when I placed my order that they wind everything to order. I started wondering about Q.C. since one off's are much easier to mess up than a small run for stock that is unless everything is 100% tested.

If that's the case then you got funny power and a messed up transformer, or New Mexico has funny power and didn't have there morning shot of Joe and messed up your transformer on top of that.

I'm sure your going to call first thing in the morning. So please post once you call before I call and ask them, I need to get the tracking number from them since it's stuck in my work email.

Like I said before, I'm sure Edcor will make us whole, just might take a week or so.

KaZ

[quote author="PRR"]> 8v-0-8v

Not what he seems to say on his forum.

I'm 98% sure you could rig a voltage doubler. You need to move one or two "wires", which could be tough if you won't hack-up your PCB. I don't have the PM660 details; maybe one of the insiders could expand on this hint.[/quote]

Funny you should say that because the 317 and 337 -17/+17 part didn't come with papers. At least not that I know of. I had 2x the schematics in my stash of PM660 entry fee PCB. As a added bonus looks like I have a funny power transformer possibly on it's way.

Remember:
It's not just the TX that measured wrong... it's also labeled wrong (7.5-0-7.5)

Because of the Label, I seriously doubt it's a wiring mistake!

Back