EDCORE XPWR063 - Power for PM670 *???* - UPDATE!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="khstudio"]You can't get -17 -0- +17 from 7.5-0-7.5 taps (at least not on this PSU PCB)[/quote]
While I agree this looks like an error on the part of Edcor, you can get the required voltages from the PSU PCB if you hook it up as a half-wave rectifier. To do this, ignore the center tap on the transformer (pretend it's a single 0-15V winding). Now hook one of the outer taps to the GND terminal on the PSU660, and the other tap to either of the AC terminals. This will give you higher ripple than a 15-0-15 transformer with a full-wave rectifier, but I doubt that this will be noticeable if you don't have any heavy loading on the +17/-17 side of the regulators.

JDB.

I, for one, will wait for the correct part with the right voltages & current. I've spent a LOT of time & money on every part to get it right... it's not worth it.

I also spoke with Brian this morning & he knows what's up & is going to make things right.

He'll probably post sometime soon.

jdbakker is right.

what we need is the -17V, which is not heavily loaded.
the positive voltage is optional, and loaded much more when used with the bypass PCBs (but at +12V, and ripple doesn't matter too much there).
there is still a way to get the -17V fullwave rectified if you are not using the positive rail.

no need for panic :grin:

I wish to thank you for bring this issue to our attention. An e-mail has been sent out to all that had their orders shipped out. Those whose orders that have not been shipped out will have a proper unit shipped to them. Thank you for your orders and sorry for any inconvenience.

[quote author="edcorusa"]I wish to thank you for bring this issue to our attention. An e-mail has been sent out to all that had their orders shipped out. Those whose orders that have not been shipped out will have a proper unit shipped to them. Thank you for your orders and sorry for any inconvenience.[/quote]

Now that's service. :thumb:

Thanks Brian,
:green:

Since I'm away from work, can't get the email. Phone call and took care of the questions. Like I said, I'm sure they would make us whole.

[quote author="[silent:arts]"][quote author="kazper"]... because the 317 and 337 -17/+17 part didn't come with papers ...[/quote]
yes, since it is a basic standard bipolar PSU:
schematic
would have been a waste of paper ...[/quote]

Volker, thanks for the post it was only in a humorous manner. I had it already under control and figured out what was going on. This honestly will help the more inexperience builders who paint via part number and a little courage.

BTW I used to work in the paper business and still prefer paper over plastic on the trip home from the store. Please waste all the paper you can as I still have stock and they are international. :)

Personally I've printer more things since having the PDF format then I ever did before it was arround. Hopefully that don't make me seem too old.... Back when I was a kid...

Yeah, I had that happen with a federal clone power transformer from edcor once, thing was wacky it vibrated and hummed. Anyway Moot point.
Cool that edcor is correcting the issue.

While I agree this looks like an error on the part of Edcor, you can get the required voltages from the PSU PCB if you hook it up as a half-wave rectifier. To do this, ignore the center tap on the transformer (pretend it's a single 0-15V winding). Now hook one of the outer taps to the GND terminal on the PSU660, and the other tap to either of the AC terminals. This will give you higher ripple than a 15-0-15 transformer with a full-wave rectifier, but I doubt that this will be noticeable if you don't have any heavy loading on the +17/-17 side of the regulators.

JDB.

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]jdbakker is right.

what we need is the -17V, which is not heavily loaded.
the positive voltage is optional, and loaded much more when used with the bypass PCBs (but at +12V, and ripple doesn't matter too much there).
there is still a way to get the -17V fullwave rectified if you are not using the positive rail.

no need for panic :grin:[/quote]

Looking at the schematic I see what you mean. :oops:

Although, I plan on using the Bypass boards so I'll just wait for the other PT.

[quote author="cannikin"]Yeah, I had that happen with a federal clone power transformer from edcor once, thing was wacky it vibrated and hummed. Anyway Moot point.
Cool that edcor is correcting the issue.[/quote]

Did you ask them to replace it, or did you replace it with someone else's transformer?

Sometimes the feedback is needed even if it's not good, can help in the future. But unfortunately sometime it's not worth the time and effort to say the words or type the email.

312ct8p.gif

Sure a lot cheaper than shipping iron cross-country.

Thanks PPR & everyone else... I learned something new here.

Edcore is replacing the transformers that were already sent out, NC. :green:
Brian wants to make thing right which is good for business & us, the consumer... + gives confidence in their products & service.

I'm building a "stereo" unit with the "relay" boards, so I'm going to play it safe & wait for the new PT.

[quote author="khstudio"]Wow man... you don't get it.

I MEASURED THE EDCORE TRANNY:

I GOT 7.5-0-7.5

This is a 15v CT Tranny & it SHOULD be 30v CT.

YES, you can get "ONE RAIL" @ 15v by using the END's
but you lose the CT... so no 15-0-15.

Do you get it now :?:[/quote]

Hey, Chicken Little, is the sky still falling?

Look, i understand that your ignorance had you running around like the world was ending, but your attitude is bullshit.

YOU clearly have no understanding of power supplies and the different types of rectifiers and/or bridges.

You actually need to grasp this. Note the application of the transformer
WITHIN the circuit, not as a free standing item.

read this to start-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_wave_rectifier#Full-wave_rectification

then look at this

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/4.html

while i was wrong in my post (it was late) about the way i hooked up the transformer on the Mnats powersupply, and every other powersupply board i've used( i do it as PRR mentioned, not 12v/0v/12v), and in the standard full wave retifier to LM317/LM337 circuit, I get + AND - voltage EVERY TIME
i was right about how the transformer is fine.

You will be getting +15 AND -15 out of the FULL WAVE RECTIFIER that's on the PoorMan powersupply PCB.
I'd say read the schematic, but that part isn't on there. But really tho, tracing that small part to decipher whats actually going on is REAL basic.....

Now, if you were pissing yourself because you paid $50 and didn't get what you paid for, thats one thing, but it sure didn't sound like it.
You sounded like the thing wouldn't work, when i knew, it actually WOULD.

You said in your last post that you "learned something new", if so, i hope you've learned NOT to shoot your mouth off about shit you don't understand.

OK... so the PT can be configured to work & YES, I didn't really grasp how, until I saw the schematic.

I truly apologize if I sounded harsh but you should have picked up from the 1st post that my main focus here was on the fact that the transformer was wrong.
Re-read the title... it doesn't say "How can I get this to work or will it work"

As soon as I saw the schematic I realized what you were saying & could see the "FULL wave rectifier"... then it clicked.
I was also up all night & exhausted, so I wasn't really focusing on HOW to get it to work as much as warning people about it.

And although there's good information in this thread, I'll bet 99% will wait for their correct PT to arrive.

I think we were just on 2 different pages. I was getting emails from people who didn't have their trannys & didn't even want to believe me, so I was in the mindset of convincing them... somehow I grouped you in with that & once again I'm sorry.

Chicken Little...out. :razz:

> ignorance had you running around like the world was ending, but your attitude is bullshit.

A wise man one wrote (Mar 05, 2008): "one gets what one deserves in life, it's called karma"

[quote author="PRR"]> ignorance had you running around like the world was ending, but your attitude is bullshit.

A wise man one wrote (Mar 05, 2008): "one gets what one deserves in life, it's called karma"[/quote]

What are you saying... that I deserved to get the wrong specked transformer? (along with the other 100+ people who bought them)
... that I started this thread to start trouble???

... you guys can think what you want about me but I know I saved a few people from a lot of BS... even if if was at my "ignorant" expense.

I don't understand why you feel the need to rehash what was already said when I said I was sorry if my intentions were taken the wrong way.

I'm not perfect & would like to move on from this little incident.

Trust me... I learned a lesson.

[quote author="khstudio"]OK... so the PT can be configured to work & YES, I didn't really grasp how, until I saw the schematic.

I truly apologize if I sounded harsh but you should have picked up from the 1st post that my main focus here was on the fact that the transformer was wrong.
Re-read the title... it doesn't say "How can I get this to work or will it work"

As soon as I saw the schematic I realized what you were saying & could see the "FULL wave rectifier"... then it clicked.
I was also up all night & exhausted, so I wasn't really focusing on HOW to get it to work as much as warning people about it.

And although there's good information in this thread, I'll bet 99% will wait for their correct PT to arrive.

I think we were just on 2 different pages. I was getting emails from people who didn't have their trannys & didn't even want to believe me, so I was in the mindset of convincing them... somehow I grouped you in with that & once again I'm sorry.

Chicken Little...out. :razz:[/quote]

Fair enough,
i understood you were upset and a bit amped because of it,
but when i kept telling you it would work, ya didn't wanna listen.
you kinda got all rude, all on your own.

it will also work, in every facet, so "technically", nobody NEEDS a new one.
yes it was wrong, but not really wrong in the way that it wouldn't work with the project. And it's not really a "workaround", it's just about changing the connections. But yes, you didn't get what they said you'd get.

Sure, i'd be annoyed, had i ordered one, a bit, as well, but, for my
"inconvenience" i'd be after edcore for a full or partial refund, and use it.
but thats just me..........

As far as PRR, he could just as easily be talking to me, lets just move on and build some kick ass comps

lets just move on and build some kick ass comps

YES :thumb:

Looking back I'm a little embarrassed but I was very tired & caught up on the "Part" not being right & not seeing your point.
I have to be honest, I've never seen, or did I know that you could hook it up like that & still get +/- rails. :oops:

Edcore is sending us all new transformers free of charge. & from a few of the emails I've received, its not the first time they've made a mistake - BUT... They are VERY nice people & are more than happy to correct any mistakes & take care of us.
Well... they might not be "Happy", but you get the point.

Kevin

[quote author="khstudio"][quote author="PRR"]> ignorance had you running around like the world was ending, but your attitude is bullshit.

A wise man one wrote (Mar 05, 2008): "one gets what one deserves in life, it's called karma"[/quote]What are you saying... that I deserved to get the wrong specked transformer?[/quote]
Both quotes in my post are from someone else, not you. Ignore it.

Just out of curiosity, how can it
"work - sometimes better than full wave"
?

And once again, I realize I made a mistake & that it can work (maybe not as optimally) but the point was it wasn't what was ordered.
I've gotten a lot better over the years with electronics but still get confused & have plenty to learn.
And what about the new newbies that just hook it up without measuring & can't figure out why it doesn't work. At least they'll know now.

After looking at the PS schematic I could see what you guys meant but even so, I wouldn't have known about the increased "ripple current" & it's (possible) effect on the circuits performance.

In my own defense, in the help thread there have been several questions about MODs, etc... outside the original design & the response is always the same
"I don't understand why people want to mod or change the circuit before building it like it was designed"
I was just trying to stick to the parts list & what was called for.
(I realize this isn't a mod but is basic knowledge of power supplies)

Back