Digi-Key: Free shipments to Europe for >EUR65 orders

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbakker

Hi all,

As per the subject. They may have been doing this for a while now, but I only just found out. Very nice when you need 'just a few more parts'. For me this puts them ahead of RS (who have a EUR50 minimum order, a much more limited selection and a horrible search engine).

JDB.

[quote author="jdbakker"]Hi all,

As per the subject. They may have been doing this for a while now, but I only just found out. Very nice when you need 'just a few more parts'. For me this puts them ahead of RS (who have a EUR50 minimum order, a much more limited selection and a horrible search engine).

JDB.[/quote]
Hmm, didn't know that about RS... last time I ordered there (might have been well over a year ago) it was free shipping for an order >50, but a minimum s*cks....

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="jdbakker"][...]RS (who have a EUR50 minimum order,[...])[/quote]
Hmm, didn't know that about RS... last time I ordered there (might have been well over a year ago) it was free shipping for an order >50, but a minimum s*cks....[/quote]
Maybe I'm misremembering, or it might have to do with my account status (I'm a private contractor/hired gun, and I know there are subtle differences in RS sales terms for me vs. pre-paying private persons as well as vs. Real Old-Economy Companies with Triple-A Credit Ratings).

I have to put in another RS order tomorrow or Friday, if I remember I'll look it up then.

JDB.

[quote author="jdbakker"](I'm a private contractor/hired gun, and I know there are subtle differences in RS sales terms for me vs. pre-paying private persons as well as vs. Real Old-Economy Companies with Triple-A Credit Ratings).

I have to put in another RS order tomorrow or Friday, if I remember I'll look it up then.

JDB.[/quote]
Wait, it might have something to do with that private contractor. 't Bandje is een stichting, heb op die naam bij ze besteld, mogelijk dat het daardoor komt.

OK, bye,

Peter

I never pay a penny of postage from RS, even for just a £5 item !!
And they get it to you for the next day :)
Since I run a studio, I have a business account but they only needed some
headed paper with the business name and address on it.

You have to watch the prices on some items though ,,, not all !!

MM.

I plan on ordering a bunch of stuff from Digi-Key later this autumn. They seem to have nice prices on some stuff, and they also have Mill-Max pins.

Plus, they accept bank transfers which is good for the paranoid foilhatters like me. :thumb:

Nah...RS does not charge shipping costs. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I order as beeing a business...dunno.
They have probabely slightly higher prices and a mega deal with DHL (or whatever) to be able do do it like this.

Like marty said, I've had times when I ordered a 1 euro item and I almost feld guilty when the courier arrives with a padded envelope :twisted:

[quote author="Viitalahde"], they accept bank transfers which is good for the paranoid foilhatters like me. :thumb:[/quote]

What does your bank charges you for an US bank transfer?

[quote author="radiance"][quote author="Viitalahde"], they accept bank transfers which is good for the paranoid foilhatters like me. :thumb:[/quote]

What does your bank charges you for an US bank transfer?[/quote]

That's the point - you can pay to a UK bank account.

[quote author="radiance"]Nah...RS does not charge shipping costs. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I order as beeing a business...dunno.[/quote]

Let's check instead of letting all this uncertainty live on any longer :wink:

3. Prijs
Alle prijzen zijn exclusief omzetbelasting. Voor iedere order met een totale waarde onder 50 EURO excl. BTW zal een toeslag van 6 EURO excl. BTW berekend worden.

That's at least the situation when ordering from NL.
So perhaps not 'shipping costs' as I originally thought, but <50 it's a penalty nevertheless.

Bye,

Peter

Yes, free postage from RS "within the UK" I'm afraid.
Farnell is the same but the order has to be over £25 IIRC and I've never
ordered less that that from Farnell !
There's an RS outlet less than 10 minutes from me, so I only get posted stuff
that they DON'T have in stock, I mostly pick it up myself.

MM.

A couple of weeks ago I put in orders via the telephone to Rapid and Digikey within a few minutes of each other. The Digikey order turned up before the Rapid one... Here in the UK, you have to order over £100 GBP to get free delivery via UPS 3-day service. If you're VAT-registered you claim back the import duty and it beats RS, usually Rapid and certainly Farnell.

As a sidenote - don't go with the Rapid free service if you want something in a hurry. It's usually there the next day, but not always. Rapid is miles cheaper than RS, but owned by them :?:

I find Farnell have the deepest selection here in the UK, but their prices are outrageous... 3x that of Rapid on some lines. I only go to them when I can't find the item elsewhere and I don't need £100' worth from Digi. If it's a common-or-garden item, try CPC - they are to Farnell what Rapid is to RS.

Justin

[quote author="clintrubber"]
3. Prijs
Alle prijzen zijn exclusief omzetbelasting. Voor iedere order met een totale waarde onder 50 EURO excl. BTW zal een toeslag van 6 EURO excl. BTW berekend worden.

That's at least the situation when ordering from NL.
So perhaps not 'shipping costs' as I originally thought, but <50 it's a penalty nevertheless.[/quote]
Thanks for looking it up; I stand corrected.

[quote author="thermionic"]Here in the UK, you have to order over £100 GBP to get free delivery via UPS 3-day service.[/quote]
I just checked, and that's been reduced to UKP50.

JDB.

Back