Mic choice.. MD421 or SM7?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

So I've decided to look for my next utilitarian mic and was thinking of either an SM7 or a MD421.

This would be used for rock guitars and loud vocals for raspy singers. I've heard that both are good for either but I've not heard either in person.

I also read somewhere that the SM7 is just a sm57 in a different enclosure. Would it be beneficial to get another sm57 and build an enclosure similar to the sm7?

SM7 is VERY different to the SM57, as I understand it. -It certainly SOUNDS a lot warmer and doesn't 'suppress' the extreme lows like a 57 does.

Personally I have access to dozens of 421s and wouldn't use them on vocals if that's what you're thinking of...

My opinion: -SM7 for the win.

Keith

A couple of issues here.

First, there are two different mics called the MD421 -- the original (which came in several sub-versions, differing in cosmetics, connector, switching, etc., but sounded pretty much alike) and the MD421 Mark II. The original was a decent-quality general-purpose dynamic mic with a mild, smooth boost in the treble, which found a lot of use in the studio and live. A lot of people made them the mic of choice for toms, for example.

The Mark II has a big, nasty-sounding peak up top that gives the microphone a wiry, screechy sound. Frankly, I can't think of a thing I'd use it for except killing flies. I'd rather have a used Mark I than a carload of Mark IIs.

The SM7 does have a capsule derived from the SM57 family, but Shure uses EQ circuits to take out the upper-range peaks (and put them back, partially, if you want them). Set flat, it's a very smooth microphone, which may or may not work in the application you want it for.

Consider an Electro-Voice RE20 (which you can also use on lots of other things, including kickdrum and guitar/bass speakers). At a lower budget, try the E-V RE16 (which sounds a lot like the original MD421). If you have the bucks and want a remarkable vocal mic, try out a Shure KSM9.

Peace,
Paul

The 421 is good for "glassy" clean guitars and for bright distorted sounds in the Metal direction in my opinion. I think it's generally quite agressive sounding on voice which may suit some material.

I'll follow up Paul's recommendation of checking out the RE20 with looking at the Beyer M88. Both of these mics will work well on kick and bass too.

[quote author="pstamler"]
Consider an Electro-Voice RE20 (which you can also use on lots of other things, including kickdrum and guitar/bass speakers). At a lower budget, try the E-V RE16 (which sounds a lot like the original MD421). [/quote]

Also the R E15 and R E18. The R E15 sounds like the 16 with more of a flat response, the 18 is just in between the two (they all sound pretty similar really). All three are really good deals and the first two can be had used for around $100. All three sound great on many different sources including vocals. Built like tanks, not too much worry picking one up used, I've had great luck. I picked up a old 635 A that looks like it was run through the wash cycle and it's one of my go-to's for miking guitar cabs.

For the SM7 you might want to check out the Be yer M400 Sou ndstar MK II (There's one on Ebay right now for an ok price of $149, might want to grab it as they are rare and a good find). I have a SM7 and two M400's and they sound very much alike. There are many who agree. I use the M400's where ever I want to use the SM7 but don't really want to use it or it can't fit (like on drums where you don't want the drummer bashing your SM7). Also its cool having a few "SM7's" around pulling double duties etc.. A very well made microphone I might add.

I think the Re15/16/18 are all the same capsule . 16 has a pop filter and the 18 is internally shock mounted . They all sound close . good vocal mics .
The RE55 is a neato mic . Sm7 is a great vocal mic , ok on other stuff . :thumb:

I have used all the above mention and to be honest. The only 421's I like are the old ones without the S - M eq switch. I have 2 white ones and they are great even though they have digs on the grill. I never was a big fan of the sm7. But there are guys who love it as much like the sm57 you can do just about anything to it and it will still work. The re20 I love I find it to be perfect on toms if you have the space to get it in there depending on where the drummer puts his cymbals. Re20's also work wonders on vocals.

interesting replies!

I swear that everywhere I read someone is using an MD421 for rock guitars and yet the descriptions of what it sounds like doesn't actually sound like what I think of when I hear guitars tracked with MD421s.

This mic would almost always be used on guitar cabinets, probably not on vocals so much but it would be nice to do double duty.

Check out a EV 635A. Fantastic on guitar cabs, great on vocals, and a decent room mic. Will not break the bank either.

Dood, what are you messing around with dynamics on guitar cabinets for? You know the ribbons rule :wink: I'm still warming up to my SM7B (it's a recent aquisition), but love the 421 on guitars and my own voice. The vocals on the EP I did last year were using a 421. go figure =)

It had that 5% more over all the other mics we tried.

Of course actual milage may vary...

ju

Yeah that's more like a lot of the things I've been reading and hearing, that there are some things that the sm7 and MD421 do better than others.

I've used the ribbons on guitars a lot but I'm doing a lot of detuned stuff and the ribbons are just too dark sometimes...

[quote author="Svart"]interesting replies!

I swear that everywhere I read someone is using an MD421 for rock guitars and yet the descriptions of what it sounds like doesn't actually sound like what I think of when I hear guitars tracked with MD421s.[/quote]

Probably these are the Mark I, not Mark II. They add a bit of brightness up top, not as much as say an SM57.

About RE15/16/18: yes, they all have the same basic design. But the pop filter on the 16 makes it a bit brighter (and a bit less flat off-axis), while something in the 18 makes it brighter still. Personally my favorite is the 15, but E-V, after they got taken over by Telex, dropped the 15 and 18 but kept the 16.

And yes, I'll second that recommendation of a Beyer M88. Get an older one if you can.

Peace,
Paul

I can only think of one instance in 14 years in which my 421 MD421-U-5 was picked for vocals. It usually lives on floor tom, but lately my RE38's have taken over on toms. My SM7 lives on the main vocal both stand, and is almost never available for any other job. I have had nice guitar and bass tracks come from SM7's, but I don't have multiples to play with. My beat to hell RE16's are possibly less exciting, but are generally more rounded performers on any sort of source.

And again, another +1 for the RE20. I liked it so much when it arrived I went straight out and ordered a second one. It's been used for male and female vocals when you want something slightly thicker, as well as kick, bass & guitar cabs, toms, tamborine, in fact pretty much anything.

There seem to be a lot of cheap EV mics on US ebay at the moment. What's going on there?

[Veering slightly off topic, I've been using figure of 8 and omni mics a lot for vocals recently (or patterns in between) and am finding that they are often easier to sit.]

[quote author="Svart"]and the ribbons are just too dark sometimes...[/quote]
Can imagine that. As it happens I get very nice results with a ('cheap-n-simple') ribbon (T-Bone) in combination with a 'regular dyna-mic' like the MD421.

Cheers,

Peter

I ended up getting a beat-up but functional (vintage)md421 on Ebay for 100$ I couldn't resist that deal. I have yet to try it out though.

[quote author="Svart"]I ended up getting a beat-up but functional (vintage)md421 on Ebay for 100$ I couldn't resist that deal. I have yet to try it out though.[/quote]

Score! I was gonna recommend the MD-441, it's a fantastic all rounder and has to be one of my favourite mics. I had a pair of the newer MD-421 but I sold them when I was sick. I liked them on toms and some electric guitars but I rarely miss them. Never heard an SM-7.

Hopefully the 421 you bought functions.

Cheers,
Ruairi

The basket part of the mic was missing and there is a chunk missing from the body but none of the working parts are missing.

I'm not sure what series this is, does anybody know how to tell? It's certainly not the mkII version though.

We have a couple of the newer 421 and they don't get used much. The SM7 is used constantly for vocals, keyboard and guitar amps. I just recently tried it on my voice through my 1272 clone. It was too good for the style of music, which required more dirt. I ended up using an SM57 (less transformer) through a Hamptone-JFP for a grittier sound.

We also have the RE16 and 18 and those are cool on guitar cabs. Haven't tried em on vocals yet.

Latest posts

Back