Mic choice.. MD421 or SM7?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="gevermil"]heil mics ? anyone tried em ?[/quote]

i have the heil pr30. i've used it on bass sax, bass, toms, snare, female vocals, male vocals and electric guitars with great results. it's a bit more precise than a 421/441 and in the same ballpark as the re20/sm7. it's a little noisy if you handle it, but really that's my only complaint.

it has a little hi end rise that usually fits in nicely without sounding harsh or sibilant... the low mids and bass are great.

i like re20/m88 but you can't beat the price of heil mics. 2 pr30 for the price of a new re20. i'm buying the pr40(the bigger brother) soon. i'll let you know how it sounds

[quote author="discobloud"][quote author="gevermil"]heil mics ? anyone tried em ?[/quote]

i have the heil pr30. i've used it on bass sax, bass, toms, snare, female vocals, male vocals and electric guitars with great results. it's a bit more precise than a 421/441 and in the same ballpark as the re20/sm7. it's a little noisy if you handle it, but really that's my only complaint.

it has a little hi end rise that usually fits in nicely without sounding harsh or sibilant... the low mids and bass are great.

i like re20/m88 but you can't beat the price of heil mics. 2 pr30 for the price of a new re20. i'm buying the pr40(the bigger brother) soon. i'll let you know how it sounds

[/quote]

the pr40 is excellent. i use it constantly. great kick drum mic. it'll do alot of things well. it produces kick drum "snap" very well, and is good in a mix. i never have to bring in 4-5k on my kick sounds like what ive had to do with a d112. on meatier tones like heavier rock stuff you may have to add 50-80hz so it'll compete. i've recently have done alot of black gospel stuff, and the general consensus from the producers of that genre is they like alot of low end. i've had to add a little low end to make up where the pr40 lacks, but have had nothing but compliments on the kick drum tones. it'll do guitar stuff well, and have used it on bgv's some as well. it's a little bulky for snare work, unless there is a gaping hole where you can fit it in. it's a heavy, beefy, impressive looking mic in a nice case. hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back