EMI TG CONSOLE!!!!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vas

hi there!
i just found an old used console like this

is there anyone had any experience racking some of those modules?
i was thinking to rack a pair of eqs,a pair of limiters and a stereo spread unit?

any info apreciated!

best regards

bill

[quote author="Vas"]i know!
but i dont know if i can buy it one piece,i will try thought![/quote]

sell the family if need be, buy it whole!!! it is simply stunning

Iain

Holy Moly
Don´t even think of taking it apart. It will be so much more worth if you rework it completely. Do the audio-community a favour and let this beauty stay alive.
I´m sure you will find a lot of support here to get it back to full spec.

the only experience with that console(an identical one)was at the abbey road studios where i had a mastering session,it kind gives you a fill that tights the low end and has a smooth but upfront midrange!
anyway,i did heard the exact console i found,i found it at a storage at a studio i worked a lot the last 2 years in a storage room,covert by dust :shock:(this studio used to be owned by emi) and you can imagine how my face looked!!!!!

i don't really know if they are going to sell it to me,they keep it to use it in a kind of "museum" but as far as i know they are planing to move to a new location and maybe they are going to get rid of those useless things :wink: including a neumann transfer console and a vinyl cutting machine!

my plan was that if they don't sell it to me and as long as nobody cares i could take out and rack some modules and who knows maybe some day i could own the whole thing!but till that day,it a same seeing it covered by dust and not passing audio!

[quote author="bluezplaya"]17 Gazillion[/quote]
great!better start saving!!! :grin:

really does anyone had any experience with those or knows the value of this beast?

the one that pooped my eyes has the twice modules in compare to the abbey roads console i have seen!

i was thinking if it is not possible to buy one piece i make a rack with eq,filter,comp/limiter and stereo spread!
i bet those will sound amazing on the stereo buss or piano,strings,drums e.t.c!

thanks for all the interest and replies!

best regards
bill

£18.50, checks on the way :grin:

pull the modules out and take about 1000 photos!! ranging in distance from 25mm to 3000mm.

one of the guru guys here will backward engineer it improve the power but keep the sonic character.

never been an advocate of theft, but ......

[quote author="lofi"]
one of the guru guys here will backward engineer it improve the power but keep the sonic character.

never been an advocate of theft, but ......[/quote]
no problem with that i could even send it to someone who could do that and maybe a new diy project comes out!
tomorrow i speak with the studio manager and i will know if i could buy the whole thing or just some modules!
then comes the pictures!!!!!!

eBay auction for unbearably overpriced EQ

These came up in a Brewery post awhile back. Mind you, it's not a TG module (TG were early/mid 70s, right?), but this should give you an idea of just how unbearably stupid the prices of EMI gear from that era can get. Removing your location from your profile is probably a good idea, seeing as how there is likely a ravenous horde of gear hounds that have picked up the scent, and are now descending on your studio with checkbooks and soldering irons in hand.

I second the idea of taking pictures of the innards. We may not be much help in paying for the thing, but we would surely help you DIY one. Does it come with schematics? :wink:

:shock:this is overpriced!!anyway i'm not willing to sell and if they do sell it to me they do it on a reasonable price as they only have it for their "museum"and yes as long as i have it i will provide every piece of information or even the unit to a forum member that is willing to make this project available to the forum members!
anyway i do know where an another on like this is placed(it comes from the same studio just like a tg recording console that u2 bought in early 90's)but none of the owners use it or planning to sell!

anyway i hope i will be able to have one of those and maybe this will start a project available to anyone here!

best regards

bill

[quote author="McCroskey42"]
These came up in a Brewery post awhile back. Mind you, it's not a TG module (TG were early/mid 70s, right?), but this should give you an idea of just how unbearably stupid the prices of EMI gear from that era can get. [/quote]

THEY might not know that...

Bill - drop Mark at Funky Junk an email and tell him you don't want to sell it, and need to know an insurance value: http://www.proaudioeurope.com/4/about_us He's probably sold more of these things than anyone else in Europe, so should know an accurate value.

You could also try Brian Gibson: http://www.tgmixers.co.uk/Frames/frameset.html

From what I can see, it appears that your console is one of the very desirable ones. Having said that, I do know of certain EMI modules from that period that can sell for a lot less, so it's best to be sure, for your own sake and insurance.

Justin

btw - As has been said, DON'T break it up. This will be worth a lot more, financially and historically, in one piece. Complete consoles like this tend to be bought by rock glitterati, and they will pay through-the-nose for a complete unit.

hi justin thanks for the help!

i knew those where rare(althought i have seen 2 of them around!!) but i didn't know they value so hight!
anyway i did send a mail to mark at junk and waiting for a reply!

best regards
bill

[quote author="Kid Squid"]Vas,

Can you get a hold of the service manual / schematics for the modules ?

I think you know where I'm coming from............. :wink:

Steve :thumb:[/quote]
no problem i'm going to search for those tomorrow and if i find them i will send them to you asap!i think i will be able to find them as the sources now are 2!!!!

i am talking for this issue with mark at junk i hope he could help me cause i read somewhere that in transformers are not included in the module cassetes,so in case i only get the modules that makes it more complex!!

Latest posts

Back