Moving to Mac!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Svart"]You sure do have a chip on that shoulder Gwaggin390.

Someone asked for experiences and I gave mine, then was actually compelled to defend myself from another forum member who denounced that experience as FALSE because you didn't have the exact same experiences.

I don't like being called a liar just because you don't want to believe me.[/quote]

Yeah, i have a chip on my shoulder about conveying ACTUAL FACTS,
not hearsay and rhetoric.

"hey, vista sucks, those cool Mac TV ads tell me so..........."
see, there, i know evrything about a PC, having never owned one.....

It sounds like you have ONE, ACTUAL experience with soldering a graphix card.
Apple doesn't make the graphix cards, they just buy them like every other manufacturer does.

I never said you were a liar, i just said i think there's more to your friends story. When you tell me they took the powerbook in and they gave her a price, that just reaks of OUT OF WARRANTY.
OR, if it was a local shop, the shop was looking to screw her.
When i've seen them fix dropped and cracked powerbooks
(though they did shy away from drops with bad screens)
the story you relay is just laughable.
Again, more to the story, or just out of warranty.

I know they have had problems with certain models, i personally, have just never had one of them.
And the only Iphone "fiasco" as you need to call it
(as i'm sure you don't ACTUALLY OWN ONE)
is that they made it only available through AT+T and made it all about exclusivity.

One caveat with my experiences might be that i always buy applecare(the extended warranty)
and with the "stories" you tell about your friend, and the G4 powerbooks would be covered under applecare.
I'm not sure how differently they treat the reg. warranty and applecare customer these days,
but if you have the same or related problem with your comp, after the THIRD time it goes in for repair, YOU GET A BRAND NEW COMPUTER.
I've seen it happen.
A friend had a single 1.8 G5, had a weird motherboard issue,
went in 3 times in a year. He called them out on the "3 times" rule and as they no longer made the SINGLE 1.8 any more, he got a brand new
dual 2.0 and was happy as a clam.

So again, i ask, HP/Dell/Gateway/etc. ever been that good to you???

Um... Back to the topic at hand...

Buy the Mac Pro. You won't regret it. It's one of the most powerful platforms on the planet right now an it runs Mac OSX which rocks.

My advice is to stick to what you know at first. Crossgrade your Nuendo and keep your Fireface for now and see how it goes. Logic has quite a learning curve to it so don't buy a whole new system and expect to be up and running the next day.

Do macs crash? Sure they do. Hard drive crashes are universal. Hardware fails. Moving parts suck. As someone who works creatively in the music field, I prefer to use a mac because I don't have time to deal with all of the setting up and driver crappola that goes along with the Windows world. It just doesn't appeal to me on any level.

Even sticking with the recording platform you are already using, I think that you will find that you will be able to do all the same things you did before, but faster, with less bs, and in a more fun way.

Aside from being a mac lover I'm really just a windows hater. Unfortunately, the world is moving away from the tubes vs solid state discussion and now it's all about UI. User Interface. I find that I interface better with a mac than I do a windows box and when we are talking about a tool I use 8-14 hours every day, that is pretty important.... Almost as important as a good chair.

If you buy a Mac, ALWAYS get AppleCare. Figure out the cost of AppleCare in your purchase price. Don't skimp on it and not get it thinking you're saving a few hundred dollars. It is so worth it!

It's the difference between getting the runaround and VIP treatment.

well my friend DIDN'T have applecare if that makes any more sense.

There's also no way i believe that apple wouldn't honor a warranty as you
describe.
so your story of warranty DENIAL because it wasn't a "time machine" backup is laughable.

those statements insinuate that I am a liar.

Apple doesn't make the graphix cards

You're right. Since this was a LAPTOP (#2 since I have 2 now with the same issues) there is no graphics card. There is a GPU chip soldered to the motherboard. The build quality was shoddy at best but extensive solder rework has fixed that issue.. I just hope that Apple has found a better manufacturer since the Ibook days.

[quote author="owel"]If you buy a Mac, ALWAYS get AppleCare. Figure out the cost of AppleCare in your purchase price. Don't skimp on it and not get it thinking you're saving a few hundred dollars. It is so worth it!

It's the difference between getting the runaround and VIP treatment.[/quote]

Actually, buy it, but buy it on ebay, they sell them a lot cheaper.
All my applecare purchases in the last couple of years came off ebay,
all were legit, no problems at all.

Svart said:
well my friend DIDN'T have applecare if that makes any more sense.

There's also no way i believe that apple wouldn't honor a warranty as you
describe.
so your story of warranty DENIAL because it wasn't a "time machine" backup is laughable.

"those statements insinuate that I am a liar."

As i said several times now,
the statements insinuate that you don't have the WHOLE story.
C'mon, it's not that hard to read and understand a line like
"Methinks there is more to the story" is it??????

You tell the story, PLAINLY telling us that your friend was hesitant to tell you because you'd (be the biased PC guy you have proven yourself to be, and) have said "i told you so"
So really, what does that say about YOU to start with.
Clearly that you aren't objective.
So why would she tell you the whole story?
This is basic psychology man, go ask her for the WHOLE story.

Frankly, the stories I could tell about PC crap and XP horror stories would drive sane people mad.

I have a decent tower a friend gave me when his workplace was upgrading, just for Front Panel Designer and
some PCB software. Decent speed PC, SIngle drive, 2GB RAM.
Fresh XP install.
I have to save any FPD design and/or PCB every minute or so for fear of crashing. There's NO other third party software installed on it, and it's only hooked up to the net when i choose to plug the ethernet in
(not often, and i don't leave it connected(for fear of spyware/etc))
The piece of shit can't even run 2 simple programs without crashing.

You're right. Since this was a LAPTOP (#2 since I have 2 now with the same issues) there is no graphics card. There is a GPU chip soldered to the motherboard. The build quality was shoddy at best but extensive solder rework has fixed that issue.. I just hope that Apple has found a better manufacturer since the Ibook days.

So you are having trouble with a 4 year old laptop?
ok, sure, you win, i said they run great for a long time, but 4 years on a laptop is a lifetime, all things being equal.
Yes the ibook wasn't built like a tank, but what's the life expectancy YOU expect for the bottom of the line product?
There is obviously a point where "you get what you pay for" comes into play.

It sure seems like you've got a few good "bullet points" you've latched onto and you're gonna glibly ride them into the sunset so you can sound like you know what you are talking about.

You don't.

You have a limited personal experience that is not indicative
of the broader picture you are trying to paint.
The Mac bashing articles you read in the PC based mags are even less objective than you are, do you really believe everything you read???

Personally, i like macs, but there's only one electronic product that i would hands down recommend without question.

Sony televisions (the high end stuff, not the $299 bottom of the barrel crap) are the only thing that year after year, model after model, have worked for me and everyone i know who's owned them.
(but yes, i'm sure there have been klunkers out there)
The only reason i've ever had to upgrade my Sony TV has been because i wanted a bigger screen, or to make the jump to hd (or to make the jump to 1080P AND a bigger screen)

MY first SONY HD tv was an HD projection. The lamp is supposed to last about 2 years. I'm on Year FIVE, same lamp, same TV running perfectly
(now in the den, replaced by the 1080P LCD)

I like macs, but i wouldn't put them in Sony TV range for quality,
but there's nothing i'd put in that same group.

Clearly that you aren't objective.

Clearly I use both Mac and PC. Once I got the Mac running ok, it has run perfectly fine. I stated that before and I'll do it again.

My point is that NO machine is perfect and it is totally up to the user to keep it running normally regardless of who made it.

My issue here is that I read time and time again how people swear that Macs will never fail, when they clearly do. You and others jump all over PCs and how they crash all the time. I'm here to state that my PCs have never crashed due to the operating system what-so-ever and that I have indeed heard of a number of folks whose Macs have failed.

As soon as I state that macs can and certainly do fail you jump all over my ass trying to debunk everything I said when not once did I claim that your PC crashes are false/bullshit or that you are clearly mistaken or uninformed as you have done to me in this thread.

You attacked me personally, targeting my credibility, in an effort to *prove* that the mac at the center of my experience wasn't at fault or that Apple didn't try to screw my friend. Again, because you didn't have the same experience or that you don't want to believe it doesn't make it untrue.

I know PCs crash but every single one that I have fixed both in the professional world and on a personal level for friends has been either clear hardware failure or someone was dicking around with files and settings that they shouldn't have been. Macs don't let you screw around like Windows boxes do and thus don't crash as much as PCs.

So you are having trouble with a 4 year old laptop?

Not anymore. I fixed it.

I also have a sony laptop from 2000 that still has the original installation of windows on it and it still works all day, everyday.

So I don't have a problem with an 8 year old laptop either. I have FPD on it as well as Orcad, Circuitmaker, photoshop, Reaper, some games, and a ton of other programs that I use.

My PC has been running tons of games, Orcad, Circuitmaker, FPD, photoshop, 3 different browsers, MS office, openoffice, sketchup, IKEA kitchen designer, Autocad LT, dreamweaver, flash animator, Steam, ADIsim, Switchercad, Xilinx tools, Nero, Reaper, Skype, Multisim, Eagle, Soundforge, N-track and others that I can't think of right now, without problems for years.

Never a single crash. Of course I built it though. It's not one of those BS Dell/hp/compaq abortions. I used quality parts and upgrade with quality parts.

Gwaggin, you are being presumptive and insulting, and that's not called for. You're also being quite hypocritical too, taking Svart to task for his anecdotes and bullet points and then countering with your own. Also, let's cool it on the melodrama. No PC story you can tell will cause any type of mental disorder. This is starting to take on the tone of a political blog, and we don't need that. I don't disagree with what you are saying, just how you are saying it. Let's try to drop the histrionics.

Customer support satisfaction surveys always come out better for Apple than PC manufacturers (85% satisfaction vs. 50-65% for PC manufacturers from Consumer Reports). With data like that present, everyone's anecdotes, weather personal or from a friend don't mean much. The statistics above still show that 15% of Apple owners still thinks that Apple tech support sucks, and 65% of Lenovo owners still think that their support is the bees knees. If support and reliability is a priority for you, clearly your odds are better with Apple, but that does not guarantee against a miserable customer support experience.

-Chris

ok Svart,
let just simplify this,
in a thread where NO ONE was touting a mac as completely reliable
or completely stable, you CHOSE to be "that guy"
who just HAD to pop in and mouth off and inject
his (obviously uneducated)pro PC bias.

Read all the threads prior to yours, not one of them talks of the Mac as infallible.....NOT ONE

You are just "THAT GUY", whether you want to accept it or not.
Doesn't matter if you own a 4 year old Ibook, you are "that guy"

If i owned i company and you decided to go around the internet,
dropping in on objective discussions about my product and bashing them having little to no experience with them, i'd consider it slander.

I CHOSE to interject, because YOU took an objective discussion about people's experiences with Macs, and essentially slandered the Mac because you are "that guy". You can't help yourself, i get it, there's a million of you.
Bill Gates has programmed you all very well.

Next time you see ADULTS, having a very reasonable and objective discussion about a Mac, how 'bout you make the CHOICE, to NOT be a child.

K?

Sorry man, ignorant people, who choose to not keep their ignorance to themselves, get to me sometimes.
I'm done with it.

[quote author="Emperor-TK"]Gwaggin, you are being presumptive and insulting, and that's not called for. You're also being quite hypocritical too, taking Svart to task for his anecdotes and bullet points and then countering with your own. Also, let's cool it on the melodrama. No PC story you can tell will cause any type of mental disorder. This is starting to take on the tone of a political blog, and we don't need that. I don't disagree with what you are saying, just how you are saying it. Let's try to drop the histrionics.

Customer support satisfaction surveys always come out better for Apple than PC manufacturers (85% satisfaction vs. 50-65% for PC manufacturers from Consumer Reports). With data like that present, everyone's anecdotes, weather personal or from a friend don't mean much. The statistics above still show that 15% of Apple owners still thinks that Apple tech support sucks, and 65% of Lenovo owners still think that their support is the bees knees. If support and reliability is a priority for you, clearly your odds are better with Apple, but that does not guarantee against a miserable customer support experience.

-Chris[/quote]

Individual service centers are all different. Different staff, different managers, just like auto repair shops. If one particular service centre denies a warranty repair (right or wrong) it is their call, it doesn't make sense to extend that to "Apple/Sony/ Compaq (name your computer) refused to honor a warranty". It is the particular service centre tech or manager that made that call, not Apple as such.

A friend of mine just took his G5 tower to a service centre here 2 months ago, it is 3 years old and one day it didn't power up. The service centre replaced the power supply and installed a brand new mother board as well for good measure, 2 years out of warranty, and didn't charge a cent. My friend got lucky, he went to the right service centre and go the right guy. If he had gone to the place on the other side of town I have no doubt it would have been another story entirely. I know of one service centre here that was routinely quoting for a new MB on machines that had started acting up, and the problem was merely a flat battery on the MB. Some workshop techs and managers are dumb or dishonest, some are both.

What I am getting at is that you can't blame a manufacturer for a call made by a particular service person.

Very true however when working in the service industry, usually under contractual bindings, service centers are obligated to work in accordance with the main company's guidelines. Maybe Apple tells the service centers to do what they feel like but I doubt it. Companies like Apple generally have very strict policies about how contractors do their work. It keeps up the consistency between contractors and makes life easier when the lawsuits pop up and the contractors followed policy.

I agree with Gwaggin that I don't think that the external HDD died and took out the motherboard. It must have been some kind of internal failure or power surge but that is secondary to the claims of the service center who clearly stated that the failure was "due to a 3rd party storage device" meaning the external HDD. We'll never know if they were following policy or if they were just trying to make an extra buck on a young female.

Maybe I'm biased. I used to manage a computer repair center back in the 90's for about 6 months during college and I can tell you first hand that upper management(my bosses) did all things in their power to try to get us to milk as much cash out of the customer as possible. This included Mac and PC users alike. They were very displeased with my performance and eventually *layed me off*. I never once cheated any customer and my team's "numbers" were the lowest out of the four teams. They closed down soon after that thankfully.

My wife has a macbook pro, and I have a PC that I built myself for 1/3 the price. My computer runs circles around hers and I HATE when I have to do any kind of graphics work on hers instead of mine. I am SO GLAD that I am running my audio work on my computer.

There's some more biased uneducated Mac bashing for you. Can I be "THAT GUY" now too?

Yes, at one point I had to replace the motherboard-it cost me $100 and that was after about 6 years.

How much have you spent on your mac in the last 5 years (including having to buy new computers because the old ones aren't supported anymore)?

My main point is that-yes all computers suck. If I could only chose between mac, dell, etc, etc, I'd be up s^%t creek. That's why I build my own (easier than any preamp to build!)

:green:

I didn't want to say it for fear of being called a liar (again) but my AMD runs circles around my friend's new intel macbook too. Although we work side-by-side all the time, I must obviously be mistaken and/or not seeing things correctly.. And of course we are not really friends because I use a PC and he uses a Mac. We are arch-enemies in reality even though we eat lunch together all the time... :green:

Gwaggin390 is clearly completely off the planet..... your incredible paranoia about PC's is a little disturbing.

Mac Pro's are essentially PC's these days running the same Intel Core 2 CPU's that anyone can buy from the local computer salesman. Don't get me wrong because I have nothing bad to say about Macs at all, I quite like them and the OS. As far as being more powerful (Maybe the new dual Quad core Mac Pro's have more grunt) and reliable and software stable that is simply your own opinion.

I've had zero issues running XP Pro on Windows on my Quad PC and an Everest report will prove it has not BSOD'ed since I built the machine and installed the OS in Nov 2007. It runs PT LE without a problem and I have experimented (curiosity only) with OS X 10.5.3 on this very same PC running Logic Pro 8 and PT LE 7.4cs2 also without a problem. Considering I've used PT LE for Mac and for Windows on the very same PC I can honestly say that there is little difference if at all and if I had to tell you what the differences are it would be graphics (seems better on PC, might be a driver issue on OSX) and HDD access seems faster on OSX.

For Dinesh, I don't think going Mac is going to solve any issues in regards to stability/reliability with the OS. I would only go for a Mac IF you must have the 8 core and IF you must have Logic Pro.

Again for those that think I'm a PC fanboy, I love Macs and the OS and my other half has a iMac that is ultra cool. Also I am FULLY aware that putting Mac OSX on a PC is illegal and that's why I no longer have the partition, installation or ISO I used to experiment with it.

Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions. Tomorrow, I am going to place the order for 8 Core Mac Pro.

So What next?

Logic

Or

Pro tools LE.

DAW I need is for Audio Mixing, Editing. Midi is not a priority. I want a good sounding Engine with nice Plugins.

I want 24 (Minimum 16) analog outs. I know Protools LE has only 18 outs. 8 analog + 8 Adat light pipe. Can do with this. Is M-Powered Pro-tool is same as Digidesign's LE?

Looking for more suggetions
Regards
Dinesh

Back