[Build] Neve 2254 BUILD THREAD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I can remember when I was looking at the PCB's I have, there schematics and the ones I have found.

PCB Layout is very close to the same.
PCB numbers don't match exactly.
Schematic and Original schematic is laid out the same, just slight variations on some values. One board has lots of variances, more than the other ones.

I've stuffed most of the boards resistors. I think I came to the conclusion to have the home Etch and schematic handy. Stuff the original schematics values that there is no conflicting issues, verifying the connections to other components as a check. I think I have 90% of the resistors stuffed going through it that way including some transistors and diodes.

For the diode bridge, look at the 33609 thread (match them with a DMM) I had a good quantity of diodes so I found enough to all test the same and stuffed the HBX 31 area on the BA185. I also had lots of tested diodes so close from matchmaking so I stuffed those on the BA192

from http://www.coralsound.com/exileshop.html
DSCN3496.JPG

Some more Under the hood pics
http://vintageking.com/site/files/2254recap.htm

[quote author="kazper"] I'm sure that some of the better PCB designers around here could accomplish this pretty easy and make this complex monster a simpler project.[/quote]

I hope you're right , I would certainly want one if someone designed a 1RU and easy to build 2254!!

Hi Ruairi,

great spot on the 10468, completely missed that. now reading the 33609 manual...makes interesting reading indeed.

Hi Kaper,

superb photos! they are yours?

well comparing my pcb's, they are indeed the same layout although mine have silk screen legends.

and upon closer inspection it seems our pcb's match Dales photo's schemos and not all the ones with the PDF that comes with them, which of course is excellent news.

OK, so whats next for you on this? I'll think ill stuff these and see where we get, i do believe now that these pcbs are good enough to build from.

if it all works out i may consider doing a sinlge PCB design, i wonder what the legal implications would be?

best
Pete

I have the boards [ stuffed , front panel , signal xfmrs & edgemeters
but it may be a project i never get to , anyone interested ?

[quote author="sinestaraudio"]

Hi Kaper,

superb photos! they are yours?
[/quote]

Nope, there off the link from above them. Something some good old boy had posted here sometime and I found it again googling for the card numbers. Was trying to make sure I didn't misrepresent any of the photo's as my own.

My PCB's have silkscreen also, but look like home etch or a low end mfg, IE no solder mask on the backside and have no gold plating at the edge connector. Maybe they are from the same batch?

There is some good information regarding the HBX31 diode bridge on Geoff's site. Basically the HBX31 is a long since available part and possibly it's a germanium part. My guess is that the same issue came up with the 33609 so they matched a set of more common 1N4153 diodes.

More info: http://www.auroraaudio.net/dcforum/DCForumID1/321.html

I posed the question regarding the meter, specifically for Tat's case.
A new style meter that should fit as a replacement in a real 2254 from Elfa.se P/N: 76-301-06 Manufactures info Fujita EW-60 DC 1mA big thanks to Crisotop in the link bellow for that. I have the Ward beck option which uses are Simpson meters, you would need to build a bracket to mount in Tat's case.

Again: New meter with thanks to Crisotop and Jens
Avalible through
Elfa.se
P/N: 76-301-06
Fijita EW-60 DC 1ma

Old meter info thanks to Dan Alexander or Ward Beck
Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:56 pm Post subject:
Apparently according to Dan Alexander the 2254 shares the same meter as a Ward Beck M455, except it uses a different scale.

In the manual for the M455 it lists the meter as a Bach-Simpson 1452W 2K132-6.

More meter info : http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=27060

I put my boards waaay down in the drawer (personal notes: too complicated and way to expensive project) - but maybe I should dig them up again :green:

anyways, keep the info coming, I'll try to post a pic of my cards, maybe someone is about to build this thing with the same pcbs.

take care,
christoph

For Tat's Case only switch I can find to replace SW8, and work in the case would be a NKK M2044SS1W01-R0, a DP3T ON-ON-ON TYPE

One thing of interest is the voltage of the capacitors. In doing some reading Geoff made a comment in regards to some of the voltages and that there is a difference in the makeup and that a higher is not always better in some of these circuits. I'm sure that some of the differences on the new schematics may be the consideration to the changed resistor and cap values to more commonly available cap values.

On the BA283 board I went with the normal replacements values that have been well documented and seem to work fine in other builds like the EZ1290.

KaZ

I missed the Tat case, but that should be the smallest problem :D

Big :thumb: up Kazper, I'm happy someone cares about this project!

there's also some interesting info from jens using wonderlandaudio pcbs (I guess the same that the most of us are using) @ nrgrecording

I'll try to translate the first two posts:

1.) Silkscreening is not correct, some part numbers differ from the original schematic

2.) If you want to build it to 100% Neve specs you have mod the B185 card: Cut the connection from + of 470uF lytic and collector of T4; ad a connection between collector of T4 to powersupply 'F'.

hth, christoph

C'mon guys, it's just a few little boards and some wire to string 'em together!
I had one of these that was built as a compressor only version on the bench some years ago, so I drew it out then, if you want to try a cheaper, more simple unit. It uses a 185, a 191, and a 283, with one 10468 interstage, a 20 pos threshold switch, and two 6 position switches for attack and release
If anyone has more boards for these I'd love to get some....

Hi!

haha, that's what I think about every project, but somehow it takes a lot longer than you think :D

That' the point!!!!

:grin: :green: :grin: :green: :grin: :green: :thumb:

I think the most wanted and usefull thing is
1ru 2254 soundpath + 33609's sidechain
without limiter section, 2 boards- one for front pannel controlls,
second for audio, with separated power supply board.
Benefits: no hardcore wiring; 3 trunny's; hardware bypass;
possibility to add attack and switchable sidechain hpf to compressor.
And no need for ba283 cards-it will be on motherboard.

This project definately don't comes more complicated than G1176.
And a bit easier than 33609.
There's a lot of people from this forum who finnished 33609's.

Don't think someone want to mess with wiring a lot of stuff
with wires together...just think about all these comp's installed on switches and time to find errors etc ;)

As well, I have allready designed and tested boards for 225433609 hybrid.

Pics:

225433609_aug08_3.jpg

225433609_aug08_2.jpg

225433609_aug08_1.jpg

Back