Switch Caps for Calrec

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan Hayward

Anyone know where to get ROUND switch caps for the schadows on the calrec clone, Farnell only seem to carry square ones - which are fine, but a whole lot harder to cut holes for...

Thanks.

Jonathan :sam:

Haha what a coincidence i just came from the cellar where i drilled the holes for the square caps for my 2 channel calrec. Both channels now work (had a problem on channel 2) and i need to finish the metal works. I now made 7 square holes, the whole channel 1. So the complete channel 2 is still to do :?
Yeah those are a pain in the ass to do :green: I measured those caps and they are 5x10mm. So i drill two 4,5mm holes and file the rest away.
I didn't knew at the beginning those were square ones. I just ordered the caps for the alps switches without a pic of link :roll:

Flo

Hi Jonathan,

I got the round switchcaps for the Calreq @ Canford.
I don't know if you've got access to Canford otherwise Conrad carries them aswell..

Canford: 58-869
Conrad: 70-87-63

Hope it helps
Remco

Thanks there Remco, I do have Canford access.
Flo, I sympathise, I just did one square hole for the power switch on my SSL and thought 'never again!'....

For square holes, have you guys ever used a Nibbler?? Waaay faster than filing. It nibbles little rectangular chunks out of metal. Check it:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=360-022

You still need to file, but not as much as just drilling a couple holes and having to file everything out.

I love tools that make a job easier...
Ian

I just ordered knobs too from Mouser... except some are OK and some aren't.

612-TAG-GY seem to be OK, grey round knobs.
611-PVWHT seem to be not so OK, but may work - just a little small for my taste.

I haven't actually tried to fit them yet, but can post some pics later on if anyone wants to see.

-kdawg

For you Calrec guys....

I am half way through mine, and I am wondering how you connect the pots to the PCB's?? I havent got/seen any pots with legs that would make mounting them on a PCB viable. The legs are way thick and generally angled, so....what have you done? thanks.

Caps,

The boards are laid out for standard pots - 19mm types if I remember correct. They fit directly into the PCB:

tims_calreq_05.jpg

Jakob E.

I got the Dual 100K pots from small bear electronics. Actually, they are on order, havent got them yet. I have however got the other pots from small bear left over from a pedal project, as long as some others from various places. No way they would mount on the PCB, so I might have to mount all pots and switches offboard and run wires like you suggest :0)

Here's a pic of what I did:
kd_calrec.jpg

I got the dual 100K from Electrovalve, they were nice enough to ship to the U.S. for me. You can see the white/grey knobs from mouser, unfortuantely they are not quite the same depth so they aren't exactly flush once mounted.

I had to wire point to point on the 10k pots because I couldn't get the PCB type easily ( out of stock mostly).

-kdawg

Jonathan, surprisingly enough Maplin stocks round black ones. I can't remembe rhow much they cost, but they're pretty cheap...

Back