blue bluebird, audio technica 4040, or Oktava mk319

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

hello all. i am looking for a great all around large diaphragm condenser microphone for around 300.

trying to decide between the blue bluebird, Oktava mk319, or the audio technica 4040.

i have used the 4040 before, as well as the mk319 on several occasions. i own a 3035, a pro37r, 4041 as well, so im very familiar with audio technica. i found the 4040 to be a decent pick, but have only used them on overheads and vocals. i have used the mk319 on vocals and electric guitar. i have never used the blue before.

i like the fact that the blue comes with a shockmount and a pop filter, as well as the fact that the blue looks good.

i liked the 4040, but cannot stand the at shockmount. i think it's the worst design ever....

the mk319 is great for vocals, both female and male i have found, but i havent used it enough to determine whether i like it for anything else.

so, does anyone have any experience with the blue or greater experience with the other above mentioned microphones or perhaps something totally different i have not listed?

i would rather go japanese, austrian, or russian before i go chinese... just a thought...

Lo-Fi,

I use the 4050 which is the same as the 4040 just with a pad and high pass and I use that thing on just about everything.

I never use my 319's except on toms every once and awhile. Just sounds like your listening to it from another room IMO. I have heard good stuff about oktavamod.com and you can buy direct from them.

I've heard the Blue used on a gtr amp before, sounded pretty good, never buy one cause I have a pair of 4050's, but if i needed something and it was available I'd give it a go.

-Casey

[quote author="signalflow"]Lo-Fi,

I use the 4050 which is the same as the 4040 just with a pad and high pass and I use that thing on just about everything.

I never use my 319's except on toms every once and awhile. Just sounds like your listening to it from another room IMO. I have heard good stuff about oktavamod.com and you can buy direct from them.

I've heard the Blue used on a gtr amp before, sounded pretty good, never buy one cause I have a pair of 4050's, but if i needed something and it was available I'd give it a go.

-Casey[/quote]

thanks for the replies guys....

i always hate these type of posts because every microphone is so different and every source that you are mic'ing is different.

i am looking for something that is very versatile.

casey, (which by the way, that's my real name too) i know what you mean about the 4050. that's a great all around mic, but dont have the cash flow for that right now. one of these days it'll happen.

thanks for your replies...

Just saying that the 2 are similar in sound IMO, and if you don't need a pad or HPF it's a great value.

-Casey

[quote author="signalflow"]Just saying that the 2 are similar in sound IMO, and if you don't need a pad or HPF it's a great value.

-Casey[/quote]

oh i see, sorry. i misunderstood. i really love AT mics.... my favorite blend of microphones for capturing acoustic guitar is a 4033 on the upper bout vertically in between the sound hole and the edge of the guitar, and a 4041 by the bridge.... position mics for taste... for some reason, ive had more luck with just about every type of acoustic out there with this micing configuration. i think the 4041 is a great acoustic instrument microphone.

the pro 37r is my go to for electric guitars... have had nothing but luck with it. makes a good snare microphone too.

Hi,

I can only comment about the oktava, and then again only about the mk219, not the mk319. i believe they are similar inside, certainly the capsule. When they first appeared in the UK, (Andy MacKay on the studio doorstep with a bunch of mics in a briefcase!), I chose two out of a dozen or so. They all sounded different! Some were seriously awful, but I managed to find two corkers that sounded the same. I am sure that quality control must have been seriously improved in the last 14 years! I absolutely loved these mics. They were great on overheads, perc, room pair, etc. They did fall to pieces after nearly 10 years of abuse! I have some seriously valuable pieces in my mic collection, yet I do miss my 219's a lot. I would seriously suggest selecting one by ear yourself. I never tried any mods, since I needed them daily in the studio, i am certain that major improvements could be made when you look at the components inside.

if you are looking for small diameter capsules, you simply must check out Hebden Sound. Basically the same capsule as Calrec with transformerless electronics, and only £255 each! I am not kidding.

Good luck,

ANdyP

[quote author="strangeandbouncy"]Hi,

I can only comment about the oktava, and then again only about the mk219, not the mk319. i believe they are similar inside, certainly the capsule. When they first appeared in the UK, (Andy MacKay on the studio doorstep with a bunch of mics in a briefcase!), I chose two out of a dozen or so. They all sounded different! Some were seriously awful, but I managed to find two corkers that sounded the same. I am sure that quality control must have been seriously improved in the last 14 years! I absolutely loved these mics. They were great on overheads, perc, room pair, etc. They did fall to pieces after nearly 10 years of abuse! I have some seriously valuable pieces in my mic collection, yet I do miss my 219's a lot. I would seriously suggest selecting one by ear yourself. I never tried any mods, since I needed them daily in the studio, i am certain that major improvements could be made when you look at the components inside.

if you are looking for small diameter capsules, you simply must check out Hebden Sound. Basically the same capsule as Calrec with transformerless electronics, and only £255 each! I am not kidding.

Good luck,

ANdyP[/quote]

thanks for the heads up... ill check out hebden sound.... yeah, the 219 has such a retro look to them. supposedly the quality control has gotten better with them...

I have a Bluebird (thought i would comment because nobody really said too much about it) And for an all around mic it is pretty nice, defiantly has a modern sound to it verses say the baby bottle. it has a boosted high end like the freq. response shows at the BLUE website so it is crisp. I liked it for general purposes, sounded great on acoustic guitar and vocals but that was the extent i tested it for and now it is lent to a friend to be used for an all around mic because he just had horrible mic's I couldn't stand mixing down anything he did before i gave the Bluebird over! Anyway good luck on making a decision!

Latest posts

Back