Small well-finished holes for a front panel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="lagoausente"]If I understood ok, anodizing is a chemichal process, I suppose it only affects the surface, isn´t? If you make an edge around a hole, you´ll have a diferent color there, or not? :roll:[/quote]

Yes, you'll get the bare color of the aluminum.

[quote author="nielsk"]Owel, did you get your cnc from cardin 1? What else did you have to provide to make it work??
I need one of these[/quote]

Thanks JD!

No, I didn't get it from Cardin. Got it from mooscreeksales.

You need software, and a PC with parallel port. I use:
SheetCam
Mach3

The prices are reasonable for the quality/feature you get. Don't bother with free software out there. It's just going to frustrate you.

engraver.jpg

I have a similar Ebay special, owel. I have it set up to engrave right now, but it also has a Rotozip for light drilling and milling.

I did a cool thing with it last week
I added a small spycam near the contact point and mounted a small LCD monitor on a door hinge to get a closeup of the engraving without sticking my nose up to it. I also took an LED flashlight and sawed the head off for a light source.

Works great!

I don't remember. Someone gave it to me. It's not a very good camera. Perfect for this, though.

It looks like this:
http://www.atecdirect.co.uk/Products/Wireless-Camera__SPYCAM.aspx

But if you are gonna buy a new one, I'd get something with a slightly better lens:
http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/images/prod_zoom_center/Spycam_audio_centre_500_31942.jpg

I just mounted it to a brass strap and bent it to aim the cam.

[quote author="Scodiddly"][quote author="lagoausente"]Hello again, thanks a lot for the tips. I have not reply before because I was waiting for the par-metal email reply. I received just one reply but they didn´t answer me anymore. Seemed not very good suppor with me, :roll:
Haveyou any reference of this company, or should I checke another site?
I´m thinking of emailing them again, but I would like any advice.[/quote]

Par-Metal doesn't seem very quick on email. Calling them on the telephone is usually very fast.[/quote]

Well, I´m in Spain, I would have some trouble to speek/understand them ok by phone, do you know if they ship internacionally?

nielsk wrote:
Owel, did you get your cnc from cardin 1? What else did you have to provide to make it work??
I need one of these

Thanks JD!

No, I didn't get it from Cardin. Got it from mooscreeksales.

You need software, and a PC with parallel port. I use:
SheetCam
Mach3

Owen, I searched for mosscreeksales on Ebay, and had no result and no user seems exist with that name, I´m wrong?

[quote author="Ptownkid"]he wrote mooscreeksales....and you wrote mosscreeksales, it;s moosecreeksales[/quote]

OK, I now have found it. It seems to have no items now for sale. Is he often selling those CNC machines or it was just the Owen one?

I´m not sure what to do about par-metal. I don´t see any reference on the web about if they ship internationally. Anyone have experience from Europe?
Should I try to speak my basic english by phone? :oops: I´m thinking it may result in a failure. There have been some weeks since I first emailed them. they seem not to pay attention.
Any other similar service recomended? I just need a 20 series case. :roll:

And thanks for all the info you have added here. It was very instructive, but I need tha case to can put it into practice.

Maybe you have a friend who speaks better English and could help translate on the telephone? I think it's worth trying to call them. The last time I bought from them (2 or 3 years ago?) I got no response to my emails, and the price list on the website was old and out of date. I called and they took my order right away.

I don't know about international orders.

Also, i should point out that even a small cnc setup is not going to be "cheap". You're looking at at least $2000 for a 3 axis gantry with a cheap spindle such as a rotozip.

Then you still need a controller and bits...

You can make your own with a little bit of research though.

[quote author="Larrchild"]
I have a similar Ebay special, owel. I have it set up to engrave right now, but it also has a Rotozip for light drilling and milling.

I did a cool thing with it last week
I added a small spycam near the contact point and mounted a small LCD monitor on a door hinge to get a closeup of the engraving without sticking my nose up to it. I also took an LED flashlight and sawed the head off for a light source.

Works great![/quote]

Looks cool Larrchild.

Do you use a separate motor for engraving?
I only have a rotozip attachment and use it for everything/milling/engraving.

How do you attach your material to the bed? Do you screw them or do you have vacuum or do you just use clamps?

I was just playing with a new V-cut bit today. Nice. I like it. I plan on using this for fine text engraving.

See the finely engraved lines... (The numbers correspond to the Z axis reading) This is on 1/8" thick aluminum. The fine lines makes it hard to photograph clearly.

2878138870_6fa16dd1b3_o.png

I bought a proper engraving spindle for about $200 and I drive it with an old Sony 3/4" Broadcast VCR spooling motor at about 20v.
Those Sony's, they had great bearings!
cnc4.jpg

I've used clamps in the past, but really for engraving, you can just tape it down and have nothing to collide with.
I think you have to get away from the chattery bearings in the rotozip and get a belt driven rig to fine engrave.

I have to build another cam and light bracket for the Rotozip platform to match the engraving platform.

That all looks amazing.
I need an 1/8" end mill next.

What's your plunge rate on the Z axis when you mill?

I bought a proper engraving spindle for about $200 and I drive it with an old Sony 3/4" Broadcast VCR spooling motor at about 20v.

I've seen Roland spindle motors for $150, but life is only 1000 or so hours.

Where'd you get your spindle?

http://engraversnetwork.com./

It was $235 on his Ebay store. It's a Dahlgren.

It has super bearings. I'm just engraving plastic laminate, but they have bits for everything.

http://www.engraversnetwork.com/store/wizzard_spindles.html

http://www.engraversnetwork.com/imag_dparts/509407_2213_650.jpg

Also, i should point out that even a small cnc setup is not going to be "cheap". You're looking at at least $2000 for a 3 axis gantry with a cheap spindle such as a rotozip.

Then you still need a controller and bits...

You can make your own with a little bit of research though.

Yes, it´s money, although interest discussion about CNC. It looks an attractive field.

Maybe you have a friend who speaks better English and could help translate on the telephone? I think it's worth trying to call them. The last time I bought from them (2 or 3 years ago?) I got no response to my emails, and the price list on the website was old and out of date. I called and they took my order right away.

I´ll try calling. :thumb:

Back