PCB design software

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mylithra

Ive been using ExpressPCB's software for doing quick and simple designs. I really like the layout tools and the fact I can throw a quick design together within a hour or so. The bad news, You cant get Gerber files out of the software. I was able to translate the Top, bottom copper layers as well as the silkscreening but I cant output the drill pattern nor the solder mask on either side. (I guess thats how they lock you into their service)

Im looking into getting a simple to use PCB design package. An onboard simulator would be nice but not absolutely necessary. A schematic input or the ability to generate a PCB from the netlist would be nice.

What software packages are people here using to do PCB designs?

I really like Eagle. The free version has a 100mmx80mm limit but my boards are always pretty small.

Had a bit of learning curve but once it "clicked" I found it easy to use.

They also have a Mac version which is really nice.

Mike

I'm using Target 3001, it's a bit complicated at first, but very very good software and with a lot of possibilities,

Rimu was the easiest for me....tried Eagle as well....

For DIY audio projects you really don't need much features. Almost any simple programme will do.

Sprint Layout,

You have to look at this. I also have Easy PC which is expensive and relatively complicated, but does everything.

Sprint on the other hand, is just plain fun. It will export as a Gerber if you want.

If you have previously made a board, or want to copy and modify one, you can import a graphic file of it, and create a new version on top.

It does not simulate or relate to a schematic though.

All the same, highly recommended.

Seetrax Ranger is good and user-friendly.

http://www.seetrax.com

I have been using various versions of it for over 20 years for audio design.

Highly recommended!

eagle...

pcb software can be pretty complex. Eagle, once you've learned it's quirks is one of the packages that kinda straddles both sides. it can be simple if you want it to be, or complex once you roll your sleeves up.

Definitely my go-to for any schematic and layout needs.

Having tried several of them, the reason i went with eagle is the sheer volume of tutorials and info available.

Many of the others are great, but lack easy to find info.

HI there,

well on one hand i can understand you want to use eagle. But, keep in mind, that the free version is very limited.
KiCad is completly unlimited and open, even the source code is open and free.

So why not give it a chance and help to improve it, we could all benefit.
KiCad is simple to use and very powerful. There is already a huge and growing community. The only thing i find really hard to use, is the 3D designtool. But that is caused in my lack of knowledge to design in 3D (Wingz).

But from a users point of view. this feature is superb. The 3D view of the design (Pcb) has helped me a lot to improve my designs.

Give it try at least. (You wont regret the time spend)

Peter

I'll just throw my two cents in here as well and say DipTrace. I've been using it for the past 5 years, and it's very easy to use and is highly intuitive, i.e. you don't even need a manual to get up and running. They have a 250 pin freeware version as well that will probably meet most people's needs if developing one off boards or small prototypes.

Their site is www.diptrace.com. DipTrace has an auto router and supports DXF import/export as well as Gerber export. Just thought I'd add to the mix in case no one has heard of these guys.

I'll just throw my two cents in here as well and say DipTrace. I've been using it for the past 5 years, and it's very easy to use and is highly intuitive, i.e. you don't even need a manual to get up and running. They have a 250 pin freeware version as well that will probably meet most people's needs if developing one off boards or small prototypes.

Their site is www.diptrace.com. DipTrace has an auto router and supports DXF import/export as well as Gerber export. Just thought I'd add to the mix in case no one has heard of these guys.

Sory for the dual post. It threw an error when I posted, but I guess it got the original one. Weird.

Latest posts

Back