Sontec M250 or Calrec pq1549?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leffe111

Give me some advice, experience, opinion of wich of those you like the most. Also in different applications. I´m building one of them for both recording and a mixdown eq. Maybe both?
cheers
Leffe

I haven't built the Sontec, but I LOVE my DIY Calrec. It's one of those EQ's that make the source seem to sound better no matter which way you turn the knobs. I'd describe it as musical without being overly colorful, but it's not quite mastering grade transparent. It's an excellent EQ for creating a tone, rather than for adjusting a tone that is already defined. A perfect example is EQing a DI bass guitar. It shapes the bass in a similar way that the tone stack on a good amp would, which not all studio EQs are good at in my experience.

I hope that helps a little.

-Chris

Sorry to piggyback the thread, but I'm glad to see some positive feedback on the PQ1549...

I'm thinking about building 8channels worth for mixing.

Do you know what Q the PQ1549 switches between on the mid bands?

I'm curious how 'surgical' it can become compared to the Sontec...

Cheers Tom

The Calrec is not anything as surgical as the Sontec - the Calreq's two Q-factors are selected for subjective musicality, not for large repairs.

If you want surgical, you'd definitely need the Sontec. For musical, probably the Calreq

Jakob E.

Ok
thank you for the reply´s. I think I´ll put a Calrec after the preamp and 1176 for recording and maybe a Sontec to finalize the mix.
Leffe

[quote author="TomWaterman"] Any idea what the Q is on the Calrec?
[/quote]

I had the figures somewhere, but can't seem to find them now. I'll post them when/if I retrieve them..

:oops:

Jakob E.

No worries Jakob, was just curious.

I'm gonna make some anyway and add some HPF/LPF and the differential calrec/lundahl outputs when I get done with some PCBs.

I'd imagine it's not tight in anyway, maybe somewhere between Q of 0.5 and 4...

Thanks as always
Tom

Back