MXL4K un dress

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adky

Alright here it is.....
MXL4000-01.jpg

MXL4000-02.jpg

MXL4000-03.jpg

Gut it out or Mod it.
Tested the sounds a bit and I dont like it!
Why? lack of low end and not bright but harsh on the top end, also give out a bad resonance at around 7K.
but the only thing good about it is the chassis SIZE, a lot of room , and the chrome head basket, also the mogami cables... :cool:
oh btw: I think they changed there capsule , it looks different from the other capsule before. no more white ring .....
comment?[/img]

Thanks for posting this Adky, it definitely looks like a good candidate for a DIY mic!
Could you tell us more about the chassis size? internal diameter? body lenght? basket lenght?

Seems to be the same housing than the MXL960 wich is a cardioid only tube version...

From what I have read on the net, the 4000 is supposed to be transformer coupled, but I can't see any traffo in your pics, instead there are 2 blue lytics (100µF/63V)... Perhaps that explain the price difference between MXL4000 and Sterling Audio ST79...

Axel

mxlsize.jpg

Will this tell you the size of it? :cool:
This mic use a toshiba 2SK170 ..... and some BCxxx and some not nice china cap...... how friendly to musician special can get......

I'm just trying to figure out if there's enough room for a BV8, a tube, and some nice Wima caps!

My guess would be around 22cm X 6 (diameter) as I'm am almost sure that the housing is the same than the MXL960...

Axel

Latest posts

Back