Resotune?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
must admit i am very interested in this thing, its just the cost or rather my lack of money thats stopping me from getting one for the studio

Iain

[quote author="PRR"]

Still, if the original brackets fell off the truck, a mike-stand, duct tape, and some notion of the "right" distance would get the job done. The brackets are too convenient to lose, but not high-magic precision parts. [/quote]
agreed, not critical as long as close enough to effectively couple and isolate each lug for measurement.
Kettledrums are very different. In acoustics, and the people who can make a living as principal timpani chair.
Yup, the physics is very different and fascinating on their own.
> There are interactions between the two heads.

At an extreme, they must couple in unison. I don't think that happens. If it did, it would work nearly as a 1-skin drum, so why? Anyhow, unless the shell is exceptionally short, the bottom skin affects all batter skin peg-points about equally.
The fundamental couples weakly. It is an average effect, as the average tension of the batter head shifts the fundamental pitch of both heads sharp or flat. This mechanism is responsible for the lack of a strict mathematical relationship between fundamental and overtone series.

One easy way to visualize what is going on, with the fundamental note, the whole drum head moving in the same direction alternately pressurizes the volume between the two heads. This pressure moves the opposite head in sympathy. For overtone series where one part of the head is moving up, while the other is moving down, there is no net pressurization
of that volume so no pressure to move the opposite head. Sympathetic excitement of the resonant head is weaker but still occurs. Using the appropriate overtone (series) allows measurements while generally dismissing interactions with opposite head.

There are other music mechanic problems to be solved.

The $39 gitar tuner has left no excuse for basic out-of-tune. However many fine electric guitarists have no idea how to set the adjustable bridge. Yes, a good general tuner can guide them, but maybe a Special Product is needed to get their attention. Pickup height is another often screwed-up screw.

Violas, bass, violin have a Bridge Post. When this gets out of whack, the instrument is very sick. This is NOT a simple problem. The general approach (used intuitively by fiddle techs) is to excite all the body resonances, compare to a (mental) database of good and bad instruments, and try to work out if a 0.3mm nudge will help, or it needs to be sanded, or if the real cause is an unsuspected crack in the purfling.
I am an old analog dog, but now I can't imagine not using microprocessors. Sounds like a possible product, but for somebody elese.
But after last Wednesday, what I really want is... we have offices (MY office) near rehearsal rooms. If someone warms a sax or trumpet with the door open, I want a siren to follow them, 5Hz flat and half a beat late.
Reminds me of a product I wanted to design to annoy noisy bull frogs. I wanted to capture the sound every time a frog sounded off, pitch shift it down to sound like a bigger frog, and play it back twice as loud. Might work on your brass buddies too.

JR

[quote author="PRR"]But after last Wednesday, what I really want is... we have offices (MY office) near rehearsal rooms. If someone warms a sax or trumpet with the door open, I want a siren to follow them, 5Hz flat and half a beat late.[/quote]

I used to torment another alto player who was doing the Ibert Concertino da Camera at UCLA, in an arrangement for wind ensemble, by shadow-playing the piece along with him a half-tone high in the same room he was warming up.

We became very close friends later on, remarkably.

I miss bcarso posts.  Too bad he left. 

Just got a Resotune II, very brief initial trial, looks like it will prove it's worth quickly.  I have been a studio owner of drums who plays them a bit, but not enough to be a decent tuner on my own, and frequently client drummers are clueless about tuning such that I stand a better chance than they do.  At any rate, first trial on a floor tom, I easily and quickly got it sounding better than I've ever heard anyone get it. 

emrr said:
I miss bcarso posts.  Too bad he left. 

Just got a Resotune II, very brief initial trial, looks like it will prove it's worth quickly.  I have been a studio owner of drums who plays them a bit, but not enough to be a decent tuner on my own, and frequently client drummers are clueless about tuning such that I stand a better chance than they do.  At any rate, first trial on a floor tom, I easily and quickly got it sounding better than I've ever heard anyone get it.

It can be hard to take manufacturer's claims seriously, but sometimes the product actually works.

Thanks for the kind words.   

JR

[edit] Looking back at this thread from 2008 several things have changed. I am now shipping my second generation product, prices are roughly 1/2 the initial price, etc. I may offer some updates to the old posts.  [/edit]

Back