Massey TapeHead Medium plug-in

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrr

http://www.smassey.com/au.html

I have not used the full version of this plug-in; this is an AU freeware version.

Some more one dimensional transfer curves, which of course don't take into effect much of anything really going on under the hood with the processing. I still find them interesting and somewhat shocking. This was derived from pink noise samples passed through the plug-in at varying settings. The setting names represent a 'drive' control from 1 to 10, and a 'level' that runs from attenuation up to 0. The plug-in default setting is drive 3.5 level -3. Note I never adjusted the 'level' control, and there is a' bypass' plot that can't be seen as it's ruler flat at unity level. Higher levels of drive will not ever settle out with the average rate set to the longest position, which reveals other dynamic elements within the processing.

UPDATED:

Frequency and phase transfer curves

Interesting!

[quote author="emrr"]Some more one dimensional transfer curves, which of course don't take into effect much of anything really going on under the hood with the processing.[/quote]

They reveal more than enough of the basic building blocks used with that plugin.

My take:

Around 3khz there's a crossover (3-6db falloff), the low-passed part is fed into a waveshaper (that tries to mimic tape tanh-like waveshape). The frequency build up around 3-4khz are the extra harmonics from driving the waveshaper harder. The highpassed part has an even more dramatic waveshaper and that had to be compensated somehow. That's probably why the high shelf looking "bias" is so screwed up on low drive settings (at least it somewhat works on higher gain). But with the very likely short and easy signal path, no wonder it's free!

I haven't used this plugin, so I can't comment on noise emulations based on your curves. It certainly doesn't seem like any impulse responses from real machines were used.

EDIT: Inversion in plots corrected 9/22/08

The full version of this plug seems to be well regarded, and I've found this free version useful at times, though only at settings lower than default. The fact that the transfer curve has increasing variable transients with increasing drive points to some other dynamic process, and it sounds like compression and distortion at higher drive.

Hi Doug,

I was just about to ask you if you liked the sound of this plug. I have the demo version of his Tape plug in for TDM and I didn't like what it did to the sound much. I found it too gritty even at low settings for adding some weight to sounds. When cranked all the way for destruction I didn't like it much either, very digital sounding. I wonder if the code on yours is the same as the plug I have.

Have you ever used the Cranesong Phoenix? That's a fantastic plug, one of the few I'd hate to be without. I'm totally gone off of plugs. I probably have about $8k invested and I see it as terrible waste now.

Sorry for rambling, I'm recording accordion music today and it's affecting my ability to think.

Cheers,
Ruairi

I like it for hard rock bands and drums, on low settings. I've not tried any others, as I refuse to pay for plug-ins that are not already provided. Too much hardware here already.

Accordion music: plug = slug = handgun active element. they don't let you have those there, I think. :razz:

[quote author="emrr"]must have had the source and response channels reversed. They just don't make sense as seen. Note the lowest drive settings are seen with the highest level. [/quote]

heh. I thought about saying that based on your curves the modelling would sound like absolute crap, but I just shrugged it as a very odd tape emulation.

So I guess low drive actually attenuates high frequencies (unlike those curves)?

Either way, something isn't quite "tape" about this plugin.

[quote author="emrr"]Accordion music: plug = slug = handgun active element. they don't let you have those there, I think. :razz:[/quote]

You're quite right, handguns are banned in Ireland. And yet anyone can go out and buy an accordion, where's the justice in that? :grin:

[quote author="ruairioflaherty"]

You're quite right, handguns are banned in Ireland. And yet anyone can go out and buy an accordion, where's the justice in that? :grin:[/quote]

one of the loop holes still remaining in the Geneva convention, will get it fixed after we fix Saturday night tv ....

Chancellor of the small bullet for the big head

Iain

[quote author="Kingston"][quote author="emrr"]must have had the source and response channels reversed. [/quote]

heh. I thought about saying that based on your curves the modelling would sound like absolute crap, but I just shrugged it as a very odd tape emulation.

So I guess low drive actually attenuates high frequencies (unlike those curves)?

Either way, something isn't quite "tape" about this plugin.[/quote]

EDIT: frequency chart corrected and reposted.

Back