EF86 NOS tubes and varying plate currents - tested as new

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AOT=Adjust on Test. Sorry, it was covered.

Thanks for the tips and giving the straight talk on tubes.

[quote author="PRR"]> Generally I would not trust any tester that is an Emission-only tester.

Do NOT emission-test tubes recklessly. It is a strain on the cathode. It is not as bad as testing car batteries by throwing a wrench across the lugs and eyeballing the size of the spark, and most of the cathode thorium will come back after some hours of normal (non-tester) use, but still tube-abuse. [/quote]

So is a test for mutual conductance as much of a strain on a tube, or just emmission testing. After doing some reading I see that some of the (non ebay) dealers that sell real NOS (plastic wrapped) and tested NOS (opened) actually test their tubes for output it gm, plate current or both. A NOS should have output of 1200-1400gm according to the data I found. Incidentally, tubes with 1200gm output also had a plate current of about 6.7ma. I'm not sure one correlates directly to the other, it's just what i noticed.

Unfortunately most of the user opinions I read about the modern (current made) tubes are riddled with bad experiences. Do they just make the things and put them in boxes and let buyers do the QC?

I read about the old Mullard factory coming back online. Maybe that will turn out good for us.

Anyone have a link to data about where each brand is made? (I know some brands are actually made by others, etc.)

Latest posts

Back